Link Between Depression and 'Collecting'?

Announcements, advice, random banter, unrelated discussion, et cetera.

Re: Link Between Depression and 'Collecting'?

Postby gandhig » 2018-10-28 @ 13:47

Forgive my following blasphemy w.r.t this forum. Never had much of a thing for any sort of materialistic collection even in the past, less so in the present. So, it is only the bare necessities...

Coming to depression which is a very serious thing, it is all there in the mind. Once a person tries & understands the mind i.e. flow/generation of thoughts, everything falls into place beautifully. The context under which I wrote this previous line and the backstory of the 'thought' that led to the writing of that line is based on my past experiences & interpretation of some of the great minds of the past and it would only be known to me in full. Whoever reads that will see that from their own perspective and through their life experiences. Most probably won't get what was intended... Similarly, no suggestion or advice given by a person to any other person is gonna work, unless the depressed persons themselves understand the root cause and act on that.

However one thing is sure, medications for depression have to stop. They work at a less-refined level than the one in which MIND works.
Last edited by gandhig on 2018-11-01 @ 01:16, edited 1 time in total.
gandhig

Postby Sev80 » 2018-10-31 @ 04:09

oeuvre wrote:No guys, Dr. Sbaitso does not count as professional help.

LOOOOOOL!!!!!! I actually laughed out loud on this! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
Sev80

Postby oeuvre » 2018-11-01 @ 12:43

*bows*
Dell Optiplex 745 Q6600, 8GB, AMD FirePro V3900, SSD + HD, 2000/XP/7
i7 9700K, 32GB, MSI GTX1060, NVMe SSD + HD, Windows 10
oeuvre
Oldbie

Postby ElBrunzy » 2018-11-04 @ 04:54

the hoarding had allow me to listen to 03-MENU.S3M : - One Must Fall! 3 - on a GUSPNP, I cannot stand software emulation. Long life to the hardware!
ElBrunzy

Postby Intel486dx33 » 2018-11-05 @ 14:50

Sounds like most if these members as Audiophiles and vintage game enthusiast.
They seem happy and not depressed.
So happy like 10 year old kids.

It’s not your age but your youth at heart.
Look around, this world is all about toys. The toys only get more expensive.
Most of these old computers are inexpensive compared to what is out in the markets today.

Walt Disney
Marriot
Marvell
Toys are US
Etc.
Intel486dx33
Oldbie

Postby badmojo » 2018-11-05 @ 20:43

Hot tip Intel486 - if you come across someone in real life who is suffering depression, don’t say that shit to them.
If it's broke, then fix it!
badmojo
l33t

Postby oeuvre » 2018-11-06 @ 13:38

You never know what's going on in someone's head, no matter how well you think you know them.
Dell Optiplex 745 Q6600, 8GB, AMD FirePro V3900, SSD + HD, 2000/XP/7
i7 9700K, 32GB, MSI GTX1060, NVMe SSD + HD, Windows 10
oeuvre
Oldbie

Postby gdjacobs » 2018-11-06 @ 15:40

It's difficult to maintain awareness of what's going on in your own head.
gdjacobs
l33t++

Postby gandhig » 2018-11-08 @ 17:06

-
Last edited by gandhig on 2018-11-10 @ 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
gandhig

Postby Muz » 2018-11-08 @ 18:39

Consequences of throw everything:

1) Regret
2) I don't know

Just keep things that values to you.
Muz

Postby brassicGamer » 2018-11-08 @ 20:16

Can I just clarify something?

Some of you guys seemed to think i was saying that people who collect are depressed. No. That's like a journalist taking the findings of a scientific study with all sorts of caveats, ignoring all of them, and presenting the results in a way that is 'newsworthy'.

What I mean is that some people who suffer from depression also have tendencies for obsessive behaviour and, in the context of this website, that manifests in accumulation of kit. The same can happen with camera enthusiasts, but that doesn't make them depressed - if you are depressed and have a love for photography, then you might be more likely to 'collect' kit. I might also observe (in my experience) that people who have tendencies for obsessive behaviour might also be prone to depression.

An example:
The dyslexic population has a higher proportion of left-handers than the general population does. That doesn't mean you're more likely to have dyslexia if you are left-handed though. Some numbers would help with this. I'll try and get this right because it's a headfuck:

- Around 10% of the population is left-handed and it has been this way since humans first walked the earth.
    - Current understanding also reports that 10% of the population are dyslexic, and that handedness between this sample is 1:1.
Take a population of 10,000,000:

- If 1,000,000 of those are dyslexic, then 500,000 are lefties and 500,000 are righties.
    - If 1,000,000 of the same population are left-handed, then half of them are also dyslexic. The same amount are right-handed, but this only represents 6% of the right-handed population.
I hope I've got that right. If I fucked it up, send help. Please.

Also, to anyone who says that depression is 'all in the head', only a person who has never dealt with mental health on a personal level would say such a thing. It's an actual illness, just like heart disease, diabetes, etc. You may even have a genetic predisposition. Sure, someone can be 'a bit depressed' but if you have a diagnosis of actual depression, then you suffer effects of a chemical imbalance in your brain (usually the amygdala) and you might well need medication for the rest of your life to stop you from killing yourself.
Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.
brassicGamer
Oldbie

Postby gerwin » 2018-11-08 @ 22:13

brassicGamer wrote:Sure, someone can be 'a bit depressed' but if you have a diagnosis of actual depression, then you suffer effects of a chemical imbalance in your brain (usually the amygdala) and you might well need medication for the rest of your life to stop you from killing yourself.

I read some things about how inflammation in the gut can result in depression. As most serotonin (=happy feeling chemical) is produced in the gut, but this can fail because of gut problems.
gerwin
l33t

Postby badmojo » 2018-11-08 @ 23:28

gerwin wrote:I read some things about how inflammation in the gut can result in depression. As most serotonin (=happy feeling chemical) is produced in the gut, but this can fail because of gut problems.

Yes I'm under the impression that it's a very complicated condition with countless possible factors involved - certainly not "all in the mind". My brother has issues with his gut which leads to poor sleeping patterns, and lack of sleep does shocking things to mind and body.
If it's broke, then fix it!
badmojo
l33t

Postby gandhig » 2018-11-09 @ 15:56

Please accept my apologies first, as there seems to be some misunderstanding. If my first post in this thread generated a feeling of being ‘insensitive’, that was absolutely not my intention. Trying to clarify…

While reading the first post of this thread(by OP), from my perspective, the following things were the ones that mainly stood out...
1. tell own story / share experiences / coping strategies
2. depression & medication / anxiety / obsessive behaviour / anything else mental health related

Clarification w.r.t (1): Though I don’t remember having experienced any lengthy period of depression, the normal negative feelings/emotions such as sadness & worries were there in the childhood and further stages of life...till few months back. Not completely eradicated, but, pretty close to it. Since there are no direct depression-related stories to share from my side and being left only with strategies to overcome worries(close link to depression), I replied in the form of a general statement about the adopted strategy, i.e. ‘try and understand the mind, its flow/generation of thoughts...’. On hindsight, I should have added that the try & understand part should be done after the depression phase has passed. Also to recall what triggered the recently passed depression phase, maybe with the help or support of a close associate, to find the root cause(s). The bitter part of this exercise is that it mostly ends up in a confrontation with oneself...about certain things which might have been swept aside under the carpet, in the past. If the habituated mind wins, the person returns to square one, but, in case the person succeeds and overrides the habituated mind, that would qualify as a step forward in the right direction. Certain things(Description/Definition of Mind) I have skipped as they are connected to beliefs & can’t be proved in a normal way, so I have jumped straight to the conclusion part of my experience, “everything falls into place beautifully”. Ultimately it is for the individual to undertake the journey and it is absolutely possible for anyone...by attempting repeatedly to understand ‘why the mind works the way it works?’ The answer will find that person if one persists on that to the point of obsession, in a positive sense.

Another important clarification: What I meant by “it is all in the mind” is that...To take a step in the right direction w.r.t both Body and Mind, consider the following steps:
a. attempts to think & truly realize one’s shortcomings
b. investigating the actual reason of how the shortcoming came in the first place
c. identify corrective measures after knowing the reason
d. deciding to act despite possible aversions or adverse situations
They all occur in the Mind.
An unhealthy Body will of course affect the Mind and vice versa. But the decision towards seemingly simple tasks like a) consume nutritious food(when hungry), b) drink natural water(when thirsty), c) work up a sweat by physical activity(daily), d) engage in mind-relaxing or passionate activities(in moderation) & e) go to bed(when sleepy) for attaining the goal of a Healthy Body starts from the Mind. So the first thing towards a sustained step forward in the right direction starts with the training or conditioning of the Mind...consciously.

Clarification w.r.t (2): It is a fact that certain drugs have side effects that include depression and/or mood disorders. Also, different states of the mind(anger, anxiety, happiness, motivation etc.) affect(negative or positive) the normal functioning of the Body. Without understanding the reason for a particular State of Mind, overriding the system by administering chemicals is probably not the best option, because the functioning of the Mind can’t be fathomed by normal methods.

I will delete my posts in this thread, if required, in case if it was felt to be offending or hurting as I can visualize the possibility of the same, despite the good intentions from my side.
gandhig

Postby awgamer » 2018-11-09 @ 16:00

The depression hits when they can't find a mint lapc-i and scc-1a.
awgamer

Postby The Serpent Rider » 2018-11-09 @ 19:23

The depression hits when they can't find a mint lapc-i and scc-1a.

Who wouldn't? =P
The Serpent Rider
Oldbie

Previous

Return to Milliways