VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i've been trying to signup with Amibay, and not having much luck.

I've tried with my usual email account and also with my GMail account. Both times its rejected it with some error about not letting spammers on...

The suggestion is that i email them, so i've done that, again with no response....

Anyone got any ideas how i can get in touch with the folks that run the site? I figure theres some crossover so maybe some mods etc from there are also on here?

Thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What username u tried to register with?
I am an admin on amibay so I can check it for you, amibay being a trade site has several checks in place and if anything fishy is found the account gets rejected, usually IP/location issues.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I cannot find a user by the name "Aragorn" on the database - active or inactive... please try to register again

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh I see
maybe you can try a different email address? I don't know why you get rejected so fast, the account isn't even created...

Reply 7 of 14, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you clear your browser cache and are you using a VPN?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 8 of 14, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried within Incognito mode, so no cache or plugins. Same error. Tried at work, at home and on NordVPN, same error.

Its fine having some tight anti-spam mechanisms in place, but its a bit silly if no-one can actually figure out whats going on when its not working.

I've just tried again using my work email and a different user name entirely, and this time its actually worked. Currently awaiting activation. I used "Strider" rather than Aragorn.

Now i need to see if I (or an Admin) can change the details to the correct ones!

Reply 9 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strider is accepted 😀
you can change your email from your control panel if you want.

Reply 11 of 14, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried to change the email address, and got:

The administrator has banned your email address. You will need to change your email address in order to continue. If you think this is done in error, please click here to contact the administrator.

I've changed it back to my work address and now its wanting verification again....

Reply 12 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aragorn wrote:

Tried to change the email address, and got:

The administrator has banned your email address. You will need to change your email address in order to continue. If you think this is done in error, please click here to contact the administrator.

I've changed it back to my work address and now its wanting verification again....

I had that with a different forum once, and it turned out that my provider had been banned because they had ended up on a blacklist due to spammers operating from one or more of their email addresses...

Reply 13 of 14, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its my own personal domain, and my own personal server. Certainly shouldnt be on any blacklists.

I guess i will try to PM the admin folk over there and see what happens, bit annoyed that they've completely ignored my emails though.

Reply 14 of 14, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aragorn wrote:

Its my own personal domain, and my own personal server. Certainly shouldnt be on any blacklists.

Don't be so certain about that! I also have my own server, and was on some lists, due to not handling some of the more elaborate spam avoiding measures correctly. E.g. my server did not have reverse DNS lookup in the correct manner, and my MX record was a bit botched.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC