VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hello,

if i have very bad unstable mains (huge amount of spikes, some over 4kv) and want to protect my little retro project - does it make sense to turn all three wires in the mains cable around a separate ferromagnetic torus or is it this not better than choking just the phase wire?

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would get a Line Interactive UPS that runs the inverter all the time. That will give you about the best line conditioning you can get.

Voltage spikes are no laughing matter when it comes to electronics.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks for replying so fast
line interactive is that type which catches all anomalies, right? i was looking at apc pro 900 a few days ago - it was about half the required total power, but the price - just awful

i'm looking into cheaper alternatives that i can first test on my contemporary hardware

Reply 3 of 7, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First, call your power company to fix that.. It's unsafe for one, and it can damage anything plugged in. Second, I would run an isolation transformer with an AVR UPS behind it.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed, that's extremely unsafe. Line voltage should typically be +/- 5%. Multi kV range transients could begin tracking across and degrading the insulation of your household electrical system.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 7, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need an online ups, not a line interactive. Online ups makes it own sinus all the time, line interactive only makes one, when input fails.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 6 of 7, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cyberdyne, you mean that backup ups kicks in only when input fails? Line interactive one is turned on all the time, correcting the voltage. (Though, its not creating the whole output power from scratch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj7e3WGUKO8

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!