VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of all Legend's games, Eric the Unready is my favorite. I am sure there are a few fans here as well. Maybe somebody can help me answer one question that bothered me for years.
The maximum number of points in the game is 1000. However, at the very end of the hintbook (and Legend's hintbooks were every bit as good as their games) there is a mysterious paragraph:

We won't give you any hints, but there is one bonus point available, which will be awarded for a very obscure activity. Thus, it is possible to finish the game with 1,001 points. Good luck!

I've played the game through quite a few times and I never found that mysterious point. I was almost ready to dismiss that as piece of hintbook author's humor but there is another evidence. Not too long ago I wrote lister utility that can decode all text from all Legend games up until Callahan's (it's in if-archive/utilities). Here's the string from ERICSTR.DAT file:

There has to be SOME way to reward an input as neat as that. The only thing I can think of is to give you one more point than everyone else. So now you can finish the game with 1001 points instead of 1000. Congratulations.

Unfortunately, there are no more hints except that the string is located in the block used near the end of the game, in the castle. Most likely in the room with mirror, chandellier, or the bedroom. I've tried everything I could think of in those rooms -- nothing. Does anybody know the answer? If you do, just give the vague hint, don't give away the final answer!

Reply 1 of 3, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What? Almost a month and not a single answer? Come on!
All right, I will make this even more interesting. There will be a prize for the first person to solve this puzzle. Currently the prize is a complete copy of Legend's Spellcasting 301: Spring Break, shipped anywhere in the world! Even more, the winner will actually have a choice between this game and a few others of similar value (not posting the list here to prevent people from making me offers -- those are not for sale).

Reply 2 of 3, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found it just now... Want a hint? The input needs only be 2 words (both can be found on the menu) and it is indeed in that room (with the mirror).

Reply 3 of 3, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like we've got a winner! 😁
Hmm, I expected something more on the weird side, this was just a twist on one of the main rules of adventure games...
Kippesoep, don't forget to check your PMs.