VOGONS

Common searches

Nearly Killed My Main PC.

Topic actions

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've recently been cobbling up a faster machine by upgrading my current one (a Dell Inspiron 5676). I've already upgraded from a Ryzen 5 1400 to a Ryzen 5 2600. As a result of this, I noticed that the stock cooler for the R5 2600 wasn't performing well, and I figured it was about time that the system got a front panel fan (yes, it only has one case fan, an exhaust fan). I grabbed a couple of spare fans I have, tried one or two, and a few didn't spin up just because they were old fans.

One fan I plugged in (I guess I plugged it in backwards, hard to tell, I was plugging it via the fan motherboard header) caused the system to turn on for about half a second before it immediately shut off again. I temporarily connected a different PSU to see if I had killed the motherboard, and it seemed to POST okay.

I hooked up a PSU tester to the system's original PSU and it showed that -12v had vanished. When I booted up the computer, the voltages were way out of spec, so I turned it off. The negative rails were nearly gone, with -12v @ -3v, and -5v @ -0.88v. The 12v rail was at roughly 11.4, and so on.

My question is, did I damage both the PSU and the motherboard, or did my PSU sacrifice itself to save the mobo, and I just got away with this by the skin of my teeth? I had zero clue something like this could happen with a fan. I thought it would kill the fan, or the fan simply wouldn't spin up, but no, it blew some of the innards of my PSU all to Hell, apparently.

For refrence, the fan was from one of my old Dell Optiplex PCs, and while it didn't use exactly the same connector, I thought it was plugged in right. Guess I was wrong.The fan took the standard 12v for power.

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can damage hardware components depending on what happens inside the power supply during a short or other type of fault. Example: my IWILL ZMAXDP -- I had a molex connector with a high resistance connection that blew my proprietary power supply. After I fixed the power supply, the machine wouldn't boot anymore. When the power supply popped (literally), it also took out both Opteron CPU's with it. Luckily, replacing the CPU's brought the system back to life with no other issues.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have never ever heard of a fan connected the wrong way kill a motherboard or a PSU.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 21, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems unlikely to me. I've outright shorted +12v to Gnd before on PSUs. Older ones (before people thought they needed a kilowatt of power in something left on the floor within inches of their feet) would just shut down from over-current protection. Newer ones (with dozens of amps on the 12v rail) will gladly destroy whatever you used to create the short. The motherboard may or may not have a polyfuse in series with the fan header for this reason -- sometimes fans fail, and sometimes they fail short. (Or at least stall and become low impedance -- depending on the motor topology.)

Does your PSU tester load the supply? It could just be out of spec under a zero-load condition. If it's in-line between the PSU and motherboard, then it should be accurate, and maybe your PSU was just ready to go toward the light.

Reply 5 of 21, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

Does your PSU tester load the supply? It could just be out of spec under a zero-load condition. If it's in-line between the PSU and motherboard, then it should be accurate, and maybe your PSU was just ready to go toward the light.

When I saw those voltages, I was seeing them through SpeedFan while the system was on. The PSU tester was saying that there was no -12v at all- SpeedFan was saying that there was -3v on it.

20190617_162849.jpg
Filename
20190617_162849.jpg
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Where am I?

Reply 6 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
athlon-power wrote:
SirNickity wrote:

When I saw those voltages, I was seeing them through SpeedFan while the system was on. The PSU tester was saying that there was no -12v at all- SpeedFan was saying that there was -3v on it.

20190617_162849.jpg

Never trust software voltage readings. Your system would likely not even boot with those voltages.

Reply 7 of 21, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Never trust software voltage readings. Your system would likely not even boot with those voltages.

How would I put the PSU under load while the PC is off? Maybe I could try and connect a couple of HDDs or something like that.

Where am I?

Reply 8 of 21, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the cheap and easy way, but it won't put much of a load on it. Usually "enough" so older PSUs that require a minimum load will power on and stay running, but it isn't really a good way to stress-test a supply. For that you need a substantial load. Common solutions include big fat high-wattage resistors, incandescent bulbs, active load test equipment, etc..

I'm not getting a good visual image of what your PSU tester is or does. Is it just a cheater plug to turn on an ATX supply, or does it do something else?

I'll agree software voltage readings are dubious, though usually when I see one that's obviously off, there's a reason for it. (E.g., it may be showing something weird on a -5V line with a PSU that doesn't provide that rail -- so it's just floating.) YMMV. Get a voltmeter and try to probe the back of the ATX connector while it's plugged in to the motherboard and powered up. Be careful poking around, and make sure you check the pinout so you know what you're measuring.

Also, 2.3V on the battery seems questionable. Dead coin cell, or just a bum sensor?

Reply 9 of 21, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

I'm not getting a good visual image of what your PSU tester is or does. Is it just a cheater plug to turn on an ATX supply, or does it do something else?

Here's a couple of pictures of it, one of it off and one of it on.

20190617_192334.jpg
Filename
20190617_192334.jpg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File comment
Off
File license
20190617_192627.jpg
Filename
20190617_192627.jpg
File size
248.52 KiB
Views
File comment
On
File license

It's still saying there's no -12v. Compare this to when the exact same connectors (1x SATA, 1x 6-Pin, 1x4-Pin, Motherboard connector), are connected to my Corsair TX650W from 2008:

20190617_193506.jpg
Filename
20190617_193506.jpg
File size
351.52 KiB
Views
File comment
On, Corsair TX650W
File license

Compare it to this other 300w Dell PSU I have, it doesn't have a 6-Pin connector, but everything else is the same:

20190617_193922.jpg
Filename
20190617_193922.jpg
File size
430.49 KiB
Views
File comment
On, 300w Dell PSU ca. 2012
File license

And finally, compare it to this 150w Dell PSU, also without a 6-Pin connector, but everything else is the same:

20190617_194603.jpg
Filename
20190617_194603.jpg
File size
664.56 KiB
Views
File comment
On, 150w Dell PSU ca. 2005
File license

Where am I?

Reply 10 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's absolutely bizarre, but the only explanation I can think of is that when connecting the fan you shorted the 12V rail and possibly the transformer at the end of the 12V rail went tits up inside the PSU so now you have no -12V?

Reply 11 of 21, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm inclined to chalk this up to a coincidence or a PSU that was getting ready to check out anyway.

A common topology is to have a single trafo with multiple windings. It's group-regulated because you can only control the PWM from the rectified AC through the trafo, and the outputs all share the same magnetic flux, so a load on one rail will affect ALL rails minus some degree of error due to impedance in that rail. In this case, I can't see a failure mode that explains what you saw.

An alternative, since the neg rails are usually half an amp at best, is to use a switching inverter from one of the main rails (probably +12V). That one has SOME of the path in common, so potentially COULD have suffered damage, but it still doesn't seem very plausible to me.

Really the only thing that makes any sense is if the monitoring circuit got hit somehow and is doing something stupid. Curious.

Reply 12 of 21, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:
I'm inclined to chalk this up to a coincidence or a PSU that was getting ready to check out anyway. […]
Show full quote

I'm inclined to chalk this up to a coincidence or a PSU that was getting ready to check out anyway.

A common topology is to have a single trafo with multiple windings. It's group-regulated because you can only control the PWM from the rectified AC through the trafo, and the outputs all share the same magnetic flux, so a load on one rail will affect ALL rails minus some degree of error due to impedance in that rail. In this case, I can't see a failure mode that explains what you saw.

An alternative, since the neg rails are usually half an amp at best, is to use a switching inverter from one of the main rails (probably +12V). That one has SOME of the path in common, so potentially COULD have suffered damage, but it still doesn't seem very plausible to me.

Really the only thing that makes any sense is if the monitoring circuit got hit somehow and is doing something stupid. Curious.

My question is, with the PC having been able to boot just fine, do you think my motherboard got damaged at all, or for that matter, any of my components, or did the PSU just scream in agony and try to die? I'm going to replace the PSU with a nice 80+ Gold ~500w PSU once I get my paycheck.

Where am I?

Reply 13 of 21, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't even really explain what happened, so it's hard to tell. The negative rails aren't used for all that much anymore, so it's likely your PC wouldn't have noticed their loss. But if something damaged the PSU via the motherboard, then it possibly took damage along the way.

You mentioned having hooked up the other PSU and your PC POSTed OK. Did you check the voltages that way? (Can you? You mentioned it doesn't have one of the 12V connectors...) I'm curious whether your good PSU would show healthy voltages via the motherboard sensors, or if it may be the motherboard pulling them out of spec on your bad PSU -- indicating maybe the PSU isn't what went bad.

So, if you do power it up OK and the voltages look normal, I would expect it to be fine, but there's only one way to find out...

Reply 14 of 21, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

I can't even really explain what happened, so it's hard to tell. The negative rails aren't used for all that much anymore, so it's likely your PC wouldn't have noticed their loss. But if something damaged the PSU via the motherboard, then it possibly took damage along the way.

You mentioned having hooked up the other PSU and your PC POSTed OK. Did you check the voltages that way? (Can you? You mentioned it doesn't have one of the 12V connectors...) I'm curious whether your good PSU would show healthy voltages via the motherboard sensors, or if it may be the motherboard pulling them out of spec on your bad PSU -- indicating maybe the PSU isn't what went bad.

So, if you do power it up OK and the voltages look normal, I would expect it to be fine, but there's only one way to find out...

I should probably change the name of this post to "Killed My Main PC," because that's exactly what I did. I tried that 650W Corsair PSU, and the motherboard gave the exact same screwed readings as it did with the other PSU. When I use that same software on my 2008 PC, it shows the voltages are just fine.

So it damaged something on the motherboard and something on the PSU. My question is, is the processor salvageable? It's a Ryzen 5 2600, and as I said, the system POSTs and boots just fine, but I feel like that doesn't mean some component somewhere on that CPU wasn't fried during that little "excursion".

Where am I?

Reply 15 of 21, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the computer boots and the motherboard is stable, I'd keep using it to be honest.

Maybe use a different PSU from now on, but the motherboard is probably just fine to continue being used.

Reply 16 of 21, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does that PSU tester pass through to the motherboard? I.e., when you tested the "bad" PSU, was it plugged in to the tester, and on to the motherboard as well? My thought here is that maybe the PSU isn't bad -- the motherboard's just dragging those rails down and putting the PSU into current limit. That isn't great, because the PSU would basically always be in protect mode and maxing out its negative rails. But, TBH, I would do the same thing -- just run the board and the "bad" PSU until one or the other quits.

It's kind of just a theory, because I don't know off the top of my head how typical modern PSUs handle the neg rails. If it's an inverter or a linear reg off a secondary winding, then it may be current limited instead of triggering OCP and shutting down. Or not. I am curious if the bad PSU would test OK when not driving that motherboard though.

Reply 17 of 21, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

Does that PSU tester pass through to the motherboard? I.e., when you tested the "bad" PSU, was it plugged in to the tester, and on to the motherboard as well? My thought here is that maybe the PSU isn't bad -- the motherboard's just dragging those rails down and putting the PSU into current limit. That isn't great, because the PSU would basically always be in protect mode and maxing out its negative rails. But, TBH, I would do the same thing -- just run the board and the "bad" PSU until one or the other quits.

It's kind of just a theory, because I don't know off the top of my head how typical modern PSUs handle the neg rails. If it's an inverter or a linear reg off a secondary winding, then it may be current limited instead of triggering OCP and shutting down. Or not. I am curious if the bad PSU would test OK when not driving that motherboard though.

No, the PSU hooks directly into the PSU tester, nothing goes between the PSU tester and the PSU. My problem with running the system until either dies is that I have a Ryzen 5 2600 I recently purchased in it- I don't want to risk damaging it.

My biggest thought now is questioning whether or not the Ryzen 5 2600 has been damaged in some form or fashion. Even though the PC POSTs and boots, I would suspect that a voltage spike could have damaged something inside the processor that I don't know about or would have difficulty finding on my own.

Processors now are incredibly complex, and I don't feel like it's the same as it was when an older processor died. If a 486 was dead, it was dead, and if it wasn't, it wasn't. Now, there's a gagillion little different components in them that could be damaged. I don't like the thought of building a new system from it in the worst case scenario if I don't know whether or not it's damaged.

Where am I?

Reply 18 of 21, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
athlon-power wrote:

Processors now are incredibly complex, and I don't feel like it's the same as it was when an older processor died. If a 486 was dead, it was dead, and if it wasn't, it wasn't. Now, there's a gagillion little different components in them that could be damaged. I don't like the thought of building a new system from it in the worst case scenario if I don't know whether or not it's damaged.

Run Intelburntest and prime95 for several hours each. If it doesn't crash, then stop worrying about it. If it was going to halt and catch fire, then it probably would have done so already.

My perspective is that you can never know if it is 100% factory perfect, only if it is stable and working correctly for the user workloads you can create. If you are worried, use a multimeter to check v-core as well while it is idle and at full load. About the only thing that really kills CPUs is excessive Vcore, so if the VRMs are working correctly and the system is stable under full load, there really isn't much more to test.

Reply 19 of 21, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote:

Run Intelburntest and prime95 for several hours each. If it doesn't crash, then stop worrying about it. If it was going to halt and catch fire, then it probably would have done so already.

My perspective is that you can never know if it is 100% factory perfect, only if it is stable and working correctly for the user workloads you can create. If you are worried, use a multimeter to check v-core as well while it is idle and at full load. About the only thing that really kills CPUs is excessive Vcore, so if the VRMs are working correctly and the system is stable under full load, there really isn't much more to test.

Would it be a good idea to do that on the current motherboard I have? I wouldn't want to stress test the system and then have the motherboard or PSU really give out and fry the CPU, as well as all the other junk that's in it.

Where am I?