VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 42, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:

By the way: looking more closely to your picture, the tv on it does not seem to have a digital tuner, but (obviously) it does have a channel memory with 'tip' buttons.

I have to correct myself: there are actually models that do have a digital tuner of which the control buttons are integrated in the 'drawer' (https://obsoletetellyemuseum.blogspot.com/201 … r-1980.html?m=1). Most models though have the digital tuner control buttons behind a door / hatch / cover.

This topic makes me want to dig out my remaining old tv's again, power them up to see if they still work. I haven't touched them in a while, mainly because analog cable tv is now gone over here. I don't have any 'woodies' anymore, but would love to own an early 80's one with a digital tuner. Maybe I should buy a VCR for a few simoleans and get some fun out of them 😀

Reply 21 of 42, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going through some old photo albums, here are two fragments of old photo's I found:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ly6VTORzJUD … A7qef2ds2QWvc08

Unfortunately I could only find two pictures showing part of the tv. One shows its right side with control panel, speaker grille and tube. The other shows the tv's rightside (faux?) wooden case and you can tell there's a plastic frame attached to the front. Have fun, the quality is so low even looking is next to pointless. But, it's worth a shot.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 23 of 42, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:

well the hard edge is already a good marker, so all the rounded ones are out

Meaning it's very similar to a Philips Leonardo 938, but: without the round edges. And I don't think it had the two large black buttons at the bottom of the control panel. Who knows any Philips Tv model families that could be mistaken for a Philips Leonardo at first glance?

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:

Reply 24 of 42, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are quite a few K11 chassis sets with that rectangular enclosure, but they are also a little older (manufactured until 1980 or so?)

Reply 25 of 42, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:

There are quite a few K11 chassis sets with that rectangular enclosure, but they are also a little older (manufactured until 1980 or so?)

Well if I remember correctly we got that tv relatively cheap. I suppose it could have come from late 70's stock. Or is this not likely?

Reply 26 of 42, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter Swinkels wrote:
Hi, I have been trying to find a picture of a tv my parents owned back in the 80s. It was a tv made my Philips and they bought i […]
Show full quote

Hi, I have been trying to find a picture of a tv my parents owned back in the 80s. It was a tv made my Philips and they bought it when moving from The Netherlands to the United States in 1984. Apparently it was suited for use in both countries as it was used for several more years after moving back to The Netherlands.

For the most part it was your typical bulky CRTs with a wooden (or at least it looked like wood) cabinets but funnily enough it is very hard to find an exact match among the many photos of old tvs online. The closest match is this one:

The attachment B4D8E23D-BDE8-4C11-B2F3-8BFC2A5C4B74.png is no longer available

The front panel with the buttons is except for the colors pretty much as I remember, but the cabinet appears to have a metallic finish and the speaker looks different. The tv I am talking about had a single round speaker in the lower right corner. While it was bought in 1984, it could be a model that was designed in the late 70s.

Anyone recognize the model in this photo and know of similar tv sets?

This tv:

IMG_1391.JPG
Filename
IMG_1391.JPG
File size
105.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

looks like the one I am looking for. Substitute the controls above the panel for the tray with the same controls as in my op and I believe you have a match.

Reply 27 of 42, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some Dutch stores sold imported Philips models (e.g. from Germany or Sweden), because they were less costly. It's very well possible that your tv is not an original Dutch model.

Reply 28 of 42, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I know - old topic. Does anyone still interested in this topic have new suggestions? Anyone wants to share memories of old tv-sets?

Reply 29 of 42, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might have found a similar one on some FB group, I don't how how close it would be but still worth a try.

Attachments

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 30 of 42, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the pictures don't seem to be there anymore, but it had hard sharp corners, not the rounded ones.

I never found one that fit all of the original descriptions AND the pictures posted unfortunately.

Reply 31 of 42, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It’s similar but different. Yes, it had sharp corners. Those pictures were scans of photo’s made with a small 80s camera. Only bits of the tv were visible in the background. The tv we had couldn’t have been all that special... Anyone here owned or used a tv like the one described? I can’t be the only 40 something around here! 😄

Reply 32 of 42, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm 18, but I definitely remember my parents owning a set that looked similar to what you describe (at the time I was only 4 or 5 years old at the time (2005-2006) when they owned it) that we kept as a backup in case our main set (a 32" Firstline "silver plastic crap" set) gave way (which didn't) because we were too broke to afford a new TV at the time.

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of it either, had we somehow held onto it I would have taken a few pics for you. I don't remember seeing that weird "tray" on it however.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 33 of 42, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote on 2020-01-30, 14:58:

I'm 18, but I definitely remember my parents owning a set that looked similar to what you describe (at the time I was only 4 or 5 years old at the time (2005-2006) when they owned it) that we kept as a backup in case our main set (a 32" Firstline "silver plastic crap" set) gave way (which didn't) because we were too broke to afford a new TV at the time.

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of it either, had we somehow held onto it I would have taken a few pics for you. I don't remember seeing that weird "tray" on it however.

That weird tray was hidden behind a panel. I am betting that unless children (especially later generations like yours (90s tvs tuned themselves)) would not know about it unless they saw their parents use it or unless they pried at everything on the tv. 😄 Being rather nosy I may have discovered that tray myself although I don’t remember my parents asking me why all the channels were messed up. 🤣

Reply 34 of 42, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that you mention it, I definitely remember seeing a picture of my grandparents' old TV with the tray open, it was an old Radiola 20" set, I always wondered what that tray was, and neither my grandfather or grandmother could remember what it was used for.

Reply 35 of 42, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote on 2020-01-30, 18:28:

Now that you mention it, I definitely remember seeing a picture of my grandparents' old TV with the tray open, it was an old Radiola 20" set, I always wondered what that tray was, and neither my grandfather or grandmother could remember what it was used for.

We all probably remember only half of all that ancient history. Mostly stuff that was important to us. A telly to watch lots of toons on in my case. 😄 And my parent’s computers which I hijacked for video games. See the retro activity thread for that one.

Reply 36 of 42, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote on 2020-01-29, 17:51:

I might have found a similar one on some FB group, I don't how how close it would be but still worth a try.

France had their own SECAM models, sets offered in The Netherlands were PAL.

Reply 37 of 42, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote on 2020-01-31, 19:28:

Pictures?

Reply 38 of 42, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The one I posted a picture of was a PAL model actually.

Reply 39 of 42, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2020-01-31, 19:53:

Pictures?

Here's a SÉCAM model that I found a picture of, in fact this was the one we had as a backup set, unfortunately I don't remember the model of this set, nor if it had that "tuning tray". EDIT: that one was a Philips 20C5223, based on the TVC12 chassis, my mom would jokingly call it the "Aquarium coffin".

I remember my dad only used it once to test a indoor antenna that he found in the trash (you know the saying, one man's trash is another's treasure, I guess 🤣) after that it went into the broom closet before we got rid of it. That damn thing had issues locking onto a channel for instance, you set it on Ch. 2 (France 2) and it would sometimes "pick" Ch. 1 (TF1) before going back to Ch. 2.

Attachments