VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I vaguely remember back in 95-97 in the early days of internet ISPs offered CDs which would allow users to browse the web offline as a way to try it out. Do anyone know if any of these CD's have been archived anywhere? I think they first of would preserve the websites better than archive.org and it would be less hassle as they would present a selection of websites for people to try out (on archive.org you have to remember the URL to look it up).

EDIT:
Found one here:
https://archive.org/details/out-of-the-net

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now I have to stay awake the whole night just to find out how deep that rabbit hole goes.

Thanks, I guess. 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not from an ISP, but I have a couple sets of Intel CDs like that from the late 90s. It was presented as a source of technical info (not marketing) but I don't remember precisely what was on it. Maybe some chipset datasheets, maybe some x86 programming info, not sure. It was basically a copy of some portion of their web site with internet links for stuff that was missing.
I think I have a CD like that from AMD also.

The Intel CDs were apparently issued periodically, because I remember mine had a Month/Year sticker on them.

Reply 4 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, I remember a Creative CD (SB AWE64Gold?) having part of their site recorded.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote on 2020-09-09, 13:02:

https://archive.org/details/in-to-the-net
😉

Seriously, though, except to this, I do only remember the early SB16 CD-ROM. It contained a copy of the Creative Website.
Including a few datasheets and a product's catalogue.
Edit : Zup was quicker. 😅

Edit : Some PC repair books contained HTML files and video sequences, too. In the shape of digital data on the companion medium (a CD mainly). By the way, book ware is totally underrated. Just like shareware CD-ROMs. I'm sure they will outlive many big online servers.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//