VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I'm thinking about buying a new monitor, and I wanted to check one of those freesync/gsync things. The problem is that (because of COVID and other factors) it is difficult to see a variety of monitors working (so I can see how good/bad image shows).

My doubts:
- I've got a nVidia 1050 Ti that I'm not going to change on the foreseable future. Obviously is a g-sync card, but I've read that can be used as a freesync device (providing you have recent drivers and use displayport). Has anyone tested it?
- The main reason to going to freesync is not using recent games at 144Hz, but using a variety of emulators properly synced (=no tearing). Those emulators are both recent (i.e.: Dosbox) and older (i.e.: ZXSpin, Kega Fusion). Can freesync be applied to any software? If not, what features has to have a program to fully support freesync?

Because I can not "see" many monitors, I'd like somebody to recommend me a monitor. My requirements are:
- Between 21 and 25 inches. My desk is not big enough to have a 27 or bigger screen.
- 1920x1080, above 100Hz refresh rate (it seems that the standard are 75 and 144Hz).
- Flat (non curved) and non reflective surface (like old monitors).
- Reasonable price tag... anything below 300$ would be fine.

Thanks.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 2, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been looking some monitors available in my country, and these three are the strongest contenders...
- AOC Gaming 24G2U. I've seen a review where it was connected to an nVidia cards (so I know it will work fine), it has a USB 3.0 hub, can be adjusted in height and (depending on countries) it includes a displayport cable.
- MSI Optix G241. My wife likes it, but it's the most expensive and it can't be adjusted in height.
- Viewsonic Elite XG2405. It didn't catch my eye, there is nothing special about it.

What do you think about the monitors? Have somebody tried one of those things?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 2, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Running games at exact refresh rate is pointless for ~60hz games. The Genesis is (according to the first result I found anyway) 59.9275hz. You won't notice the difference if you speed that up to 60hz. You don't need variable sync to prevent tearing, plenty of other ways to do that.

I'm not saying don't get a VRR monitor, but for those purposes it might not give you the benefits you think it will.

Last time I tried DOSBox it ran at the framerate the games run at, which might sound ideal, but frame duplication didn't work properly on the driver/monitor I had. 70hz locked refresh rate was better. That said, high refresh rate VRR monitors are more likely to accept that refresh rate in the first place.

There's some criteria to whether or not FreeSync works and there's really no way of knowing without trying the applications. Generally fullscreen applications work better.