Rank
l33t++

PayPal takes about 10$ if you haven't used your account for a year

Reply 3 of 21, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*teleports behind your wallet* Nothing personal, kid. Just typical shady business.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 21, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What happens if you have a zero balance?

Do you then owe them?

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 7 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2020-10-08, 16:47:

A3.11.

A3.11 is eCheque received max fees.

The only thing I see related to what you're stating is their "Dormant Accounts" section. It states if you don't use PayPal within 2 years, they close the account and send you a check with your balance to the primary residence address on your account. If you don't have a valid address listed, the check goes to the state where you have to claim it manually through the state government.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 8 of 21, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are some updated agreements circulated which have this clause.
https://www.paypalobjects.com/marketing/ua/pd … a-121620-v2.pdf
Here it's A3.13.

It says "may". It says explicitly that "the inactivity fee will be the lesser of the fee listed below or the remaining balance in your account.", which as I understand it means that if you don't generally keep money there, you are not affected?

In any case $10-$20 a year is less than most banks charge just for having an account (whether you use it or not).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 10 of 21, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem with PayPal is that they do everything they can to obfuscate things and make their rules difficult to understand, so you never know the details of extra charges and stuff like that. Add to that their commonly known scummy practices of currency conversion (which is set to allow PP to automatically steal... I mean "convert" the amount instead of letting the credit card do it, and they make it hard to find the way to change it).

Not to mention the incredibly convoluted way of calculating the fees of a transaction in their User Agreement, with percentages per country/region, fixed fees, international fees... why do I need to resort to dubious online fee calculators if I want to know what fees will apply when sending money?

Reply 13 of 21, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Paypal is useful but they have all kind of shady practices. I'm Swiss and I'm pissed that they taking extra fees that are totally uncalled for even when paying in Euros to UE countries. Between UE countries no fees, between Switzerland and UE, fees. It could make sense in some way, except UE, Switzerland and a few other countries have a banking agreement called SEPA that guarantees free bank transfers in euros between members (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area)

So I always try to avoid PayPal when I can, and luckily most of individuals I've been dealing with are fine with bank transfers, so PayPal can go eat a bag of dicks.

Reply 14 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-10-08, 19:09:
There are some updated agreements circulated which have this clause. https://www.paypalobjects.com/marketing/ua/pd … a-121620-v2 […]
Show full quote

There are some updated agreements circulated which have this clause.
https://www.paypalobjects.com/marketing/ua/pd … a-121620-v2.pdf
Here it's A3.13.

It says "may". It says explicitly that "the inactivity fee will be the lesser of the fee listed below or the remaining balance in your account.", which as I understand it means that if you don't generally keep money there, you are not affected?

In any case $10-$20 a year is less than most banks charge just for having an account (whether you use it or not).

Ahh, that's probably why I wasn't seeing it. I was only looking at the US user agreement. Looks like they have quite different terms in other countries.

My Github

Reply 15 of 21, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Given all the trouble I had over the years from giving my credit card details to random strangers on the internet, this is acceptable. Nowadays nobody but Paypal and other big respectable companies gets to see my number.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 16 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2020-10-08, 22:47:

Given all the trouble I had over the years from giving my credit card details to random strangers on the internet, this is acceptable. Nowadays nobody but Paypal and other big respectable companies gets to see my number.

You can use temporary virtual card numbers with pretty much every major credit card company. My bank app has a virtual card generator for Visa and MasterCard tied to my real card.

My Github

Reply 17 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

eBay is going to managed payments. Seems like a good way to cut the shady PayPal fees out of the picture. As a seller it should end up costing me less in total fees.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Marmes wrote on 2020-10-08, 19:36:

paypal is not a bank, they shouldn't charge at all. If they did that to me I would close my account.

Actually in EU countries PayPal needed to apply for a banking license to operate (AFAIR - it's been a while).
Add to that ghe negative interrest. If they have your money they need to "store" it somewhere (mandated to store). In the EU this will be with the countries' central bank. And these charge by now interest instead of giving it. And financial Instituts are slowly beginning to charge their customers this negative interest, too.
Which means that it has begun that people and companies may get charged when they have more than amount x in their account. Companies likely allowed a much higher amount (I know of one bank that limits it to 100k for people, 500k for companies and 1 million for companies that are good customers).
So this is likely why Paypal has to do this to keep your accounts empty. Seems to me that it's not about corporate greed in this case

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 19 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Boohyaka wrote on 2020-10-08, 21:36:

Paypal is useful but they have all kind of shady practices. I'm Swiss and I'm pissed that they taking extra fees that are totally uncalled for even when paying in Euros to UE countries. Between UE countries no fees, between Switzerland and UE, fees. It could make sense in some way, except UE, Switzerland and a few other countries have a banking agreement called SEPA that guarantees free bank transfers in euros between members (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area)

So I always try to avoid PayPal when I can, and luckily most of individuals I've been dealing with are fine with bank transfers, so PayPal can go eat a bag of dicks.

Yeah the Euro SEPA transfer might be free, but a lot of non Euro countries banks charge you a hefty currency exchange fee.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper