VOGONS

Common searches

Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 480 of 492, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm still afraid of putting my head in front of an AOpen 56x speed cd-rom drive spinning at full speed.

Last edited by PD2JK on 2021-02-19, 11:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Tulip Vision Line DC: 386SX 16 MHz
Highscreen AT: Pentium MMX 200 MHz
AOpen HX45: Athlon (classic) 700 MHz
Highscreen ATX: Athlon (classic) 1 GHz

Reply 481 of 492, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love researching things down to minute details, a lot. So that's kind of why I'm such an obsessee on a platform or genre or brand or model of machine for a long period of time. Right now I'm being highly intrigued by the less popular i486 based laptops so I'm wrapping up all the lose ends on the NEC Versa and then plan to start on the NanTan FMAxxxxx model laptops next (all those weird old off-brand laptop computers made in Taiwan in the early 1990's). I've hit dead ends with GEM Computer Product's desktops. THat's half the fun for me is figuring out everything about these weird old manufacturers and stories behind the brands on the more generic or less as popular machines. I do the same stuff with cars and guitars as well. On some other guitar forums, I'm well known as the whammy bar Jag-Stang guy with a really comprehensive setup guide.

~The Creeping Network~
My Website - https://sites.google.com/site/thecreepingnetwork/home
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet

Reply 482 of 492, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2021-01-26, 23:57:

I also despise the XP theme, I always turn it back to classic when I have to use one.

The "Toys'R'Us" theme has aged horribly, that's true.

Many years ago I discovered an unofficial dark theme for Windows XP, called "Paint it Black" and I usually install this after patching the uxtheme.dll.
I also like the Zune theme, it looks really good with that orange glowy start button.

I just realized that "Paint it Black" is nowhere to be found on the web anymore, so here it is.

Filename
Paint It Black.zip
File size
137.23 KiB
Downloads
4 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 483 of 492, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I must confess that I miss the forest killing manuals that came with games and, most important, computers.

Look at the manual that came with an Amstrad PC1512 (but I remember that it came with more than one manual)...
Amstrad_PC-1512_-_Retrosystems_2010.jpg

That manuals contains lots of reference material, my ZX Spectrum +3 manual even details connectors and pinouts.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 484 of 492, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On an intellectual level, I love the Ultima series, and I could ramble for hours about its evolution and legacy and the massive impact it's had on RPGs as a genre, both Western and Japanese. But I was only seven years old when the finale Ultima IX came out, never even heard of the series until more than 15 years after that, and the UX in the early ones especially has aged so poorly that to this day I've never been able to actually play through any of the Utima games to the end.

[Insert late-aughts-style overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 486 of 492, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NovaCN wrote on 2021-02-21, 17:29:

On an intellectual level, I love the Ultima series, and I could ramble for hours about its evolution and legacy and the massive impact it's had on RPGs as a genre, both Western and Japanese. But I was only seven years old when the finale Ultima IX came out, never even heard of the series until more than 15 years after that, and the UX in the early ones especially has aged so poorly that to this day I've never been able to actually play through any of the Utima games to the end.

That reminds me:
Daggerfall has the best character creation in The Elder Scrolls franchise and one of the best in any RPG I've ever played. It also has a lot of other things I miss from more modern AAA RPGs. But it controls like ass, I could never configure it well enough to be at least somewhat enjoyable and despite I tried several times, never finished the tutorial dungeon.

sreq.png yt.png

Reply 489 of 492, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-02-22, 07:08:

That reminds me:
Daggerfall has the best character creation in The Elder Scrolls franchise and one of the best in any RPG I've ever played. It also has a lot of other things I miss from more modern AAA RPGs. But it controls like ass, I could never configure it well enough to be at least somewhat enjoyable and despite I tried several times, never finished the tutorial dungeon.

There are so many old games I track down, install, and boot up only to immediately think, "I wish I could play this with more modern UI/controls." There's a lot of cool stuff you don't see so much in new games, but we've also learned some very important design lessons over the years. Thus the appeal of "retro throwback" games, I suppose.

[Insert late-aughts-style overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 492 of 492, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-02-23, 01:00:

I use old PSUs.

ha! so do I, in fact I've not know one to fail - in fairness the older ones are in PC's rarely powered on though

I don't recap things either - most of the time it isn't necessary as the item works fine, but i do recognise the importance of it for long term consistent use of aging electronics (and when caps are obviously bulging etc)

generally, in my experience, PC components last a very long time and are very reliable. Only modern hard disks appear to be less reliable by my experience

I do admire those with the know how, patience and skill to rebuild PSUs and circuit boards and have carried out minor (simple) repairs on other electronics myself occasionally. So much better than throwing them out, and often the fault turns out to be a 'weakest link' type fault, and once repaired the item is good for quite a few years more