VOGONS

A Goblin Hoard : My PC Big Box Collection

Topic actions

First post, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm currently sorting through my PC games collection and rediscovering what I've had stored, so I figured I'll post up some pics of anything I find interesting. Watch this space...

001.Boxes.jpg

All the boxes out from storage.

002.Boxes.jpg

Each box full, I'd guess around 400, plus the 200 or so I have on shelves already. I'll get a full count once they're all out.

Reply 1 of 51, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
012.Warcraft2s.jpg

Have a lot of doubles, these Warcraft II all have slight differences, left has 8 player head-to-head and Game of the Year printed , middle has 8 player head-to-head as a sticker, right has 8 player head-to-head printed only.

011.Civ3s.jpg

Civ 3 box variations. Australian on the left, Euro on the right.

010.DarkReign.jpg

Dark Reign box variations.

015.TAs.jpg

TA box variations. US left, Euro right.

019.Rebellions.jpg

Star Wars : Rebellion posters X3, just because I can.

Reply 2 of 51, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
008.Neverwinter.jpg

Neverwinter Nights cloth map.

009.DungeonHack.jpg

Dungeon Hack includes collector cards.

016.Dominion.jpg

As promised on the box, Dominion comes with a free colour comic book.

014.Cossacks.Rec.jpg

In the Cossacks box was the original receipt, bought at Singapore Airport in '01 for SGD$59.90.

Reply 4 of 51, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an awesome collection!

Reply 5 of 51, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You got a comic book? No fair. Mine didn't have that.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 6 of 51, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some more box variations, I've noticed the US seems to usually have a better quality box than it's Euro counterpart...

003.Diablos.jpg

Diablo II, US on the right with embossed and opening front cover, Euro boring and flat...

004.ManHunter2.jpg

Don't know what's up with this Man Hunter 2 box variation. Different print on cover, different inside box, photocopied manual and cheap looking disk labels. Might be an Australian version.

007.ThemeParks.jpg

Theme Park box variations.

013.Castles2s.jpg

Castles II box variations, Telahin release on the right.

005.Caesar2.jpg

Very small print differences on these Caesar II boxes, looks like before and after Win95 was released.

Reply 7 of 51, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice collection! Were those collector cards standard in Dungeon Hack? Will need to check my copy!

The embossed Diablo II seems to have one of our Australian government audience classification stickers on it ... always feel sad that they ruined some wonderful cover art of games of that era with those abominations. Drives me to collect from the US 😀

Reply 8 of 51, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote on 2021-04-27, 14:17:

Nice collection! Were those collector cards standard in Dungeon Hack? Will need to check my copy!

The embossed Diablo II seems to have one of our Australian government audience classification stickers on it ... always feel sad that they ruined some wonderful cover art of games of that era with those abominations. Drives me to collect from the US 😀

Not sure if the cards came in the game box or if someone just stored them in there before I bought it. Would be interesting to see if anyone else has them.

A lot of my games have the Aus classification stickers on them as you'll see, but some, like the Civ 3 box above have it printed as part of the artwork.

Reply 9 of 51, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
023.KixxXLs.jpg

Kixx XLs.

026.SimCitys.jpg

Sim Citys.

022.KingsQuests.jpg

King's Quests.

024.Sirtech.jpg

Sir-Tech games.

025.Werdna.jpg

The Return of Werdna comes with it's own er... charge card?

Reply 10 of 51, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote on 2021-04-27, 10:27:

Some more box variations, I've noticed the US seems to usually have a better quality box than it's Euro counterpart...

Seems so, and I believe that sometimes content differs as well. For example, do you have the "Descent Definitive Collection"? I found out at some point that the US version came with a large-format manual and Descent 3 demo disk, both of which were missing from the European version.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 51, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

such good condition! this is when buying a game could really feel like buying a 'product' in that you got a set of things like guide, artwork and so on

Reply 12 of 51, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
006.InterplayRegCard.jpg

The Interplay registration card has some humour, the front side says "Millions of dollars in prizes".

017.Braveheart.jpg

Braveheart original receipt, AUD$89.95 sold in July 1999.

20.TexMurphys.jpg

A few Tex Murphy 'Interactive Movies'.

021.Overseer.jpg

Overseer has a small PCB stuck inside the cover with a light poking through at the top of the tower. The batteries were dead in the two copies I have and they're soldered in and not easily replaceable, but I assume it's just a flashing red light.

Reply 13 of 51, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of Pink Floyd's CD albums had one of those blinking LEDs in the spine. I remember seeing it at a friends house years ago.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 14 of 51, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
018.LarryCollection.jpg

The Larry collection comes with a giant inch thick hint book, The Official Book of Leisure Suit Larry.

027.BardsTales.jpg

A couple of stranger Bard's Tales releases here.

028.Ultimas.jpg

Ultimas.

029.CnCs.jpg

Command and Conquers.

Reply 15 of 51, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I swear I'm missing some games I know I have, must be more boxes in the garage that I've missed...

030.Heroes.jpg

HOMMs.

031.MightandMagics.jpg

Might and Magics, never had any luck finding 1 and 2...

032.MnMmaps.jpg

Various maps from previous Might and Magics.

033.GTAFront.jpg

GTA maps front and back.

034.GTABack.jpg

whoops one upside down...

Reply 16 of 51, by vad4r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice collection and nice to see the boxes from the other side of the world 😀
It would be great if the pictures had a higher resolution 😁

vae victis!

Reply 17 of 51, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote on 2021-05-01, 03:10:

I swear I'm missing some games I know I have, must be more boxes in the garage that I've missed...

030.Heroes.jpg

HOMMs.

Do you happen to have the "Heroes of Might and Magic Platinum Edition"? I always wondered if it came with any manuals and extras like the "Might and Magic Platinum Edition". So far the few bits and pieces of info I assembled suggest that it did not.

GoblinUpTheRoad wrote on 2021-05-01, 03:10:

033.GTAFront.jpg

GTA maps front and back.

Sweet! I have this game as part of the GTA Classics Collection, where the maps are all shrunk onto a single, smaller pamphlet. It looks like they just reused the same material since the Banana Grove in southeast of Vice City is unmarked in both of them. At least the big box version does not cut off the "Richman" text at the north of San Andreas like my version does.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 18 of 51, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vad4r wrote on 2021-05-01, 07:07:

It would be great if the pictures had a higher resolution 😁

More res, gotcha.

dr_st wrote on 2021-05-01, 08:55:

No don't have it, it would have made it in the pic if I did 😀

035.Pharaoh.jpg

Pharaoh map. Looks like a cool game, must play this one soon.

036.ShadowsOfDarkness.jpg

Shadows of Darkness comes with an excessive amount of disks and booklets.
Win a complete Sierra/Dynamix game library, how awesome would that have been.

037.BrainDead13.jpg

BrainDead 13 certainly has a unique box.

038.F19.jpg

F-19 maps, similar on the flip sides.

039.Noctropolis.jpg

Noctropolis has a comic book too.

Reply 19 of 51, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
040.Battletech.jpg

Battletech : The Crescent Hawks' Revenge posters.

041.Sacred2.jpg

The Sacred 2 Collector's Edition comes with Audio CD, Art Book, Map and of course, temporary tattoos...

042.PoolofRadiance.jpg

Pool of Radiance map. Beutiful box this one, satin finish and gold lettering, just great.

043.Apogee.jpg

Apogee stuff.

044.WingCommanders.jpg

A few Wing Commanders.