VOGONS

Common searches

Any of you on Windows 10?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 100 of 228, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Besides, can't really prevent dragnet surveillance without encrypting things properly, which can be done on Windows.

Also, major Windows 10 update today.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 101 of 228, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did install them yesterday.
Activation and all the stuff was OK.
Drivers automatically found for my laptop, even the IRDA remote control works 😁

Uninstalled all the "metro" apps and brought the new start menu to a minimal state that I like. I also like the smaller taskbar, the support for more than one desktop, the style of the icons on the taskbar and the desktop and that the system is very responsive. The last remaining thing that bothered my work on Windows 8.1, charms, were removed, yeah!!

BUT, on the other side, I didn't like at all that when changing colors, the background of the window's title was not changed. I also dislike that you need to do a lot of things just to find the classic control panel and not the new "Settings". Also, on my laptop's 15.6" 1366x768 screen, which is even now the dominant resolution on standard laptops, the X icon and the stuff are quite HUGE! The new calculator is unacceptably big and the Edge web browser... oh well... it's OK when it doesn't get stuck, which happens a lot.

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 102 of 228, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GeorgeMan wrote:

I also dislike that you need to do a lot of things just to find the classic control panel and not the new "Settings".

Just right-click on the 'start button' (or whatever the thing on the bottom left is called), and select 'Control Panel' from the popup menu, same as Windows 8.1?

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 103 of 228, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, but a habit is a habit. On Windows 8 & 8.1 I just mechanically hit "Win + I" and immediately pressed enter. 😜

And I don't want to change a habbit that MS forced to me with Windows 8 (that didn't have a start button).

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 104 of 228, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GeorgeMan wrote:

Sure, but a habit is a habit. On Windows 8 & 8.1 I just mechanically hit "Win + I" and immediately pressed enter. 😜

Win+X, P achieves the same and works on both Win8.x and Win10. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 105 of 228, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That was good! 😀

Reply 106 of 228, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 10 showed up on my gaming machine the other night and I accepted its advances. It installed itself in about 15 mins and has run flawlessly ever since. It's snappy to use and boots in a jiffy, but the only thing that's really wowed me is the way in which it magically appeared and installed itself. No regrets here though - I even went so far as to purge the 20GB of Windows 7 restore files that 10 quietly put aside in the event I changed my mind.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 107 of 228, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

need to take a step back and reassess your relative importance in the scheme of things

You may become important enough for problems in any time. Even after 50 years data gotten through backdoors from your net may case problems to you or to other people you care about. Try to use healthy fantasy a bit to understand the situation. Switching brains off is not the best way. If backdoors exist (I'm sure they are, in hardware stuff too) - it's way for power on you and you may only guess will this power be for good or bad. I'd say for bad for most people on Earth as USA now tries to ruin anything on it.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 109 of 228, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, still using windows 7 and I'm happy. MAYBE if I build a new PC in a few years and it does not have floppy and other legacy connectors (which they probably wont), than I'll use modern windows. Does windows 10 even support floppies? I know win 7 does at least 1.44mb 3.5 inchers and I might have used them in 8.1, but who knows.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 110 of 228, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DX12 gives a huge boost for Nvidia and AMD GPUs, but no difference worth mentioning that I've seen for Intel iGPUs and no DX12 games as of yet. Microsoft is giving a year to switch for free, right? so no rush, wait for the games to come out to show a benefit and for people to come up with a solution to rid 10 of the spying.

Reply 111 of 228, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 10 "spying" is mostly mythical.

The often-quoted parts of the privacy statement relate to their services (Hotmail, Onedrive, Office365, etc). And let's be pragmatic about it for a second, you send an email to someone's Hotmail account, has Microsoft not just received a piece of personal information? You enter your CC details to start an Office365 sub, have they not just collected personal data?

All the parts of Windows 10 that collect and submit anonymised, aggregate data can be disabled.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 112 of 228, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ahendricks18 wrote:

Yep, still using windows 7 and I'm happy. MAYBE if I build a new PC in a few years and it does not have floppy and other legacy connectors (which they probably wont), than I'll use modern windows. Does windows 10 even support floppies? I know win 7 does at least 1.44mb 3.5 inchers and I might have used them in 8.1, but who knows.

Yes. And serial communication. USB floppies also.

Reply 113 of 228, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

DX12 gives a huge boost for Nvidia and AMD GPUs, but no difference worth mentioning that I've seen for Intel iGPUs and no DX12 games as of yet.

Actually, Intel has mostly been going down the "Less CPU equals better power efficiency" route with DX12:
https://software.intel.com/sites/default/file … el-Graphics.pdf
https://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/dx12- … -intel-graphics
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/187970-dire … n-new-tech-demo

Their GPUs are too slow to get a performance boost from lower CPU overhead. They weren't CPU-limited to begin with.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 115 of 228, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's an OEM license then it legally cannot be moved to a new cpu/motherboard.
If it's a Retail license then it can legally be moved to a new cpu/motherboard. (Would probably require a call to MS tho)

Really though since Windows 10 is free for a year as long as the version of Windows you are upgrading from is Activated *cough* then you are good.
After a year who knows but I doubt MS will go back on that.

MAK/KMS then of course it doesn't matter as long as there are enough licenses.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 116 of 228, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:
If it's an OEM license then it legally cannot be moved to a new cpu/motherboard. If it's a Retail license then it can legally be […]
Show full quote

If it's an OEM license then it legally cannot be moved to a new cpu/motherboard.
If it's a Retail license then it can legally be moved to a new cpu/motherboard. (Would probably require a call to MS tho)

Really though since Windows 10 is free for a year as long as the version of Windows you are upgrading from is Activated *cough* then you are good.
After a year who knows but I doubt MS will go back on that.

MAK/KMS then of course it doesn't matter as long as there are enough licenses.

Microsoft do not really enforce the OEM restriction as a phone call its all it takes to move a OEM license from one system to another, at least with Windows 7 which then can be upgraded to Windows 10.

I have stockpile of broken laptops just in case I need more Windows 7 keys.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 118 of 228, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

Windows 10 "spying" is mostly mythical.

Testing goes against your assertion.

SquallStrife wrote:

All the parts of Windows 10 that collect and submit anonymised, aggregate data can be disabled.

"While the inital reflex may be to block all of the above servers via HOSTS, it turns out this won't work: Microsoft has taken the care to hardcode certain IPs, meaning that there is no DNS lookup and no HOSTS consultation. However, if the above servers are blocked via HOSTS, Windows will pretend to be crippled by continuously throwing errors, while still maintaining data collection in the background. Other than an increase in errors, HOSTS blocking did not affect the volume, frequency, or rate of data being transmitted."

"When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to: ..
Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to: ..
If this weren't bad enough, this behaviour still occurs after Cortana is fully disabled/uninstalled."

http://localghost.org/posts/a-traffic-analysis-of-windows-10

Reply 119 of 228, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:
"When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to: .. Everything that is said into an enabled micr […]
Show full quote

"When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to: ..
Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to: ..
If this weren't bad enough, this behaviour still occurs after Cortana is fully disabled/uninstalled."
http://localghost.org/posts/a-traffic-analysis-of-windows-10

That is scary stuff if it was true. But i wonder if this is a Hoax?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul