VOGONS

Most disappointing games?

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 532, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem with Bioshock is not the atmosphere but the boring ass gameplay.

Reply 141 of 532, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game i play i never found boring. mildly entertaining and fairly easy on easy and normal. I rather like shocking people and wacking them in the face with a wrench... or wacking them in the face with a wrench and then shooting them... or if things are getting boring or frustrating shocking/burning them and then shooting them, in the head.

Reply 142 of 532, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

Yup gotta say with HL games it's the atmosphere but, now that i see some of the comments i guess i agree some of the levels are bland but, with the story and atmosphere and my lack of skills it goes together well.

you might check out BioShock (story and atmosphere might not like) and Metro 2033 (graphics, story and gun play)

Hmmm.. thanks for the suggestion. Bioshock, Bioshock II and Metro 2033 are all available from steam., but unfortunatelly not from gog. I generally prefer games when they are cheaper than 10 bucks.. 😊

Will definately try them if not now, in near future.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 143 of 532, by gamrrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤣 Yeah I used a walkthrough for some of the RAMA puzzles and enjoyed the heck out of the atmosphere anyway.

Thanks all for the game suggestions above.

Reply 144 of 532, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HL1 is unimpressive nowadays because every game since then has copied from it. At the time it was a big deal though. People hadn't seen such an immersive game since the first Doom.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 145 of 532, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Every game made after 2005

Reply 146 of 532, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a game put out in maybe 1989 or 1990 called either Black Hole or maybe Escape from the Black Hole (nothing to do with the Disney movie). It was so awful I ended up taking it back to Walden Software.

Reply 147 of 532, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a 2.5D "tank" shooter for DOS called Zephyr. That was not exactly spectacular gaming.

2fort5r wrote:

HL1 is unimpressive nowadays because every game since then has copied from it. At the time it was a big deal though. People hadn't seen such an immersive game since the first Doom.

Or since Jedi Knight, the year before. Or Unreal, the same year. 😎

Reply 148 of 532, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^^ great games but inferior to HL in atmosphere/originality

The originality needs to be emphasised: headcrabs, barnacles, the blast-pit beast, sonic-attack dogs, the mad stabby trees. A lot of thought, time and weed went into creating that game.

Reply 149 of 532, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried the Bioshock demo recently. Was not impressed.

Reply 150 of 532, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd have to say the two most disappointing games I've played recently were Skyrim and Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 151 of 532, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
King_Corduroy wrote:

Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Hear hear. They really butchered the franchise with that one.

Reply 152 of 532, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DXHR has nothing on Invisible War when it comes to game design disasters. It makes one wonder how Deus Ex worked out in the first place because DXIW had many of the same people involved. I think the audio is the only redeeming quality to DXIW...

Reply 153 of 532, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:

I somewhat enjoy the philosophical aspects, but the gameplay and bizarro game universe aren't so hot. I liked Bioshock Infinite a lot more. It's still dull shooting but the world and story are more interesting.

Reply 154 of 532, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
2fort5r wrote:

^^ great games but inferior to HL in atmosphere/originality

The originality needs to be emphasised: headcrabs, barnacles, the blast-pit beast, sonic-attack dogs, the mad stabby trees. A lot of thought, time and weed went into creating that game.

Heh yeah that's true. You could also look at Sin for wacky ideas like that but the game isn't nearly as engrossing as Half Life.

Reply 155 of 532, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did I mention Shogo: Mobile Armour Divison? I got high expectations, but it's plain boring and the story didn't impress me. Fighting in a mecha is like fighting on foot, but only taller.

Ace of spades is Crappy as hell. Slow, boring, and multiplayer is only for snipers (besides there are almost no one is playing it).

Almost every F2P game could be added to the list, with some exceptions. F2P RPG tends to be griefing only, MOBAs don't have any disctinct feature and other games are only P2W games. The only exceptions I can tell are Trackmania: United (the F2P game/demo is a very good game on its own), LoL and DOTA2 (I don't like that genre, but they are fine) and You have to win the game. Team Fortress 2 could be added to this list, but it started as a retail game.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 156 of 532, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That reminds me, although I like it now I was disappointed with TF2 when it first came out in 2007. This was mainly due to the lack of hand grenades which were a major feature of the original mods.

Reply 157 of 532, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

I somewhat enjoy the philosophical aspects, but the gameplay and bizarro game universe aren't so hot. I liked Bioshock Infinite a lot more. It's still dull shooting but the world and story are more interesting.

Yeah this Ayn-Rand-gone-bad thing seemed interesting at first, but the cartoonish art deco style, clunky animations and downright boring gameplay really put me off.

Zup wrote:

The only exceptions I can tell are Trackmania: United (the F2P game/demo is a very good game on its own)

Check out Nitronic Rush! It's freeware too (originally a school project, if you can believe that). If you enjoyed Trackmania or Stunts, this game will not disappoint you.

Reply 158 of 532, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
2fort5r wrote:

That reminds me, although I like it now I was disappointed with TF2 when it first came out in 2007. This was mainly due to the lack of hand grenades which were a major feature of the original mods.

haha true true, tf2 lacked my favorite grenade spam near death tactic. But it's shaped up to be a much more fun game on publics than the originals ever were. Full Offense vs Defense teams works a lot easier 😀

Reply 159 of 532, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Playing as soldier I used to get more kills with grenades than the rocket launcher. And then there was the art/skill of grenade-jumping. There were complex multi-grenade/rocket-jumps that took real skill to master. All this is missing from the new game. It's still fun to play though, and I eventually came to like it as well.