Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 1952, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
I bought this pile of SSI RPGs on ebay (going cheap! :happy: ), because I've just completed Champions of Krynn and have just st […]
Show full quote

I bought this pile of SSI RPGs on ebay (going cheap! 😀 ), because I've just completed Champions of Krynn and have just started its sequel, Death Knights of Krynn - without having the printed documentation to hand.

All 3 Krynn games look complete - Death Knights (shown in the 1st photo) even has a cluebook. A couple of the other games aren't complete however, but I was mostly interested in the Krynn "trilogy".

I've got a minor problem - I want to back up the floppy disks, but I don't currently have a 5.25" 1.2MB floppy drive. I guess it's time to have a browse on ebay, to see if I can get one of these ancient things...

Incidentally, one of the games (Pools of Darkness) had a till receipt (dated '91) in it. The game cost £30.99 (a lot of money really), and came from Leeds, England.

Ohhh....nice lot you got there

Death Knights of Krynn rocks! completed it on the Amiga when it came out but I never completed Champions Of Krynn

What? a retro hw enthusiast without a 5.25'' floppy drive? 😳

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 161 of 1952, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

Um...it's true! 😊 (Hangs head in shame.) In my defence, I did have one, but I thought I'd never need it, so to save space I gave it away.

Reply 162 of 1952, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

Um...it's true! 😊 (Hangs head in shame.) In my defence, I did have one, but I thought I'd never need it, so to save space I gave it away.

This is how it goes when you fiddle too much with dosbox and not the real thing 😉 😁

Reply 163 of 1952, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

....so to save space I gave it away....

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!! Tell me you didn't! Tell me you didn't!!!!!!!!!! 😁

I have 2 of them. Just in case.... And I also have the 5.25" disk cleaner. Just in case.... too! 😉

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 164 of 1952, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have some 5.25" drives laying around. I need to get them hooked up to the PIII-550 system in the closet that my mom left behind and use it to rip some of my 5.25" disks before they become unusable due to degradation.

Has anyone else worked with old floppies recently? Are they wearing out?

Reply 165 of 1952, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

I have some 5.25" drives laying around. I need to get them hooked up to the PIII-550 system in the closet that my mom left behind and use it to rip some of my 5.25" disks before they become unusable due to degradation.

Has anyone else worked with old floppies recently? Are they wearing out?

Have worked quite alot with them recently...both on my vintage PC's and my Commodore 64...have quite alot of disks and they seldom go bad

Reply 166 of 1952, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I work with tons of floppies from both c64 and pc, my experience is double density disks don't have much of a problem, but high density 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 disks bit rot much more frequently.

Back them babies up as soon as you can =]

Reply 167 of 1952, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Amigaz wrote:

This is how it goes when you fiddle too much with dosbox and not the real thing 😉

Heehe! I just had to chuckle at this. I, too, gave away my 20 yr old Packard-Bell PC (it had a 5.25 ", a 3.5", and a CD-Rom drive in it) this past Spring because I, too fiddle too much with DOSbox.

Amigaz wrote:

my Commodore 64..

What? you still have a Commodore 64? My God, I thought no one had these nowadays - aren't they obsolute? 😳

Where/how did you get your Commodore 64, Amigaz (just curious)? I thought no one sells them anymore?

Reply 168 of 1952, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kelly Stiver wrote:
Heehe! I just had to chuckle at this. I, too, gave away my 20 yr old Packard-Bell PC (it had a 5.25 ", a 3.5", and a CD-Rom driv […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:

This is how it goes when you fiddle too much with dosbox and not the real thing 😉

Heehe! I just had to chuckle at this. I, too, gave away my 20 yr old Packard-Bell PC (it had a 5.25 ", a 3.5", and a CD-Rom drive in it) this past Spring because I, too fiddle too much with DOSbox.

Amigaz wrote:

my Commodore 64..

What? you still have a Commodore 64? My God, I thought no one had these nowadays - aren't they obsolute? 😳

Where/how did you get your Commodore 64, Amigaz (just curious)? I thought no one sells them anymore?

Yep, still have my first C64..the breadbox model
Have had it since 1986, in 1989 I got the more "slimmed" C64-II...and in 1990 I got an Amiga.

I fire up the C64 sometimes together with the matching 1541 disk drive and play some old classics from the past

Reply 169 of 1952, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just tried Death Knights of Krynn on an old Pentium with an AWE32 soundcard. I noticed that this game's soundcard options are quite limited. Here are some of the options -

C/MS
Adlib
(plus a few others)

Firstly, what is a C/MS card? I selected Adlib, and got cheesy music coming from my AWE32, but I can't hear any sound effects. (Running this game in DOSBox, when you walk about you hear footsteps.)

Reply 170 of 1952, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
I've just tried Death Knights of Krynn on an old Pentium with an AWE32 soundcard. I noticed that this game's soundcard options […]
Show full quote

I've just tried Death Knights of Krynn on an old Pentium with an AWE32 soundcard. I noticed that this game's soundcard options are quite limited. Here are some of the options -

C/MS
Adlib
(plus a few others)

Firstly, what is a C/MS card? I selected Adlib, and got cheesy music coming from my AWE32, but I can't hear any sound effects. (Running this game in DOSBox, when you walk about you hear footsteps.)

mmm...I also think it's odd that it doesn't have the SB as an option but the game has no digital SFX

C/MS = Creative Music System (Game Blaster)

Reply 171 of 1952, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:
I've just tried Death Knights of Krynn on an old Pentium with an AWE32 soundcard. I noticed that this game's soundcard options […]
Show full quote

C/MS
Adlib
(plus a few others)

mmm...I also think it's odd that it doesn't have the SB as an option but the game has no digital SFX

C/MS = Creative Music System (Game Blaster)

Yep, Amigaz is the only lucky guy in this board to own it! 😀

Particular point of interest here is that, Champions of Krynn, which came out a year before Death Knights of Krynn has support for Roland LAPC, but Death Knights does not have any advanced midi support. The best output is via either the Game Blaster or Adlib. The other options are Tandy and PC Speaker, and last and least, Silent.

This, in spite of improved graphics in Death Knights of Krynn.

Reply 172 of 1952, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adlib cards seem quite rare. Unfortunately I don't have one, but I guess using an old Creative should be OK - if I select Adlib. It won't be as good as the Gameblaster, but these really are rare.

Reply 173 of 1952, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Basically, any Sound Blaster card should be fine. Death Knights of Krynn's music is not very memorable, at least for me. Game Blaster should be able to output the FM sounds in stereo, if SSI had coded as such. As of now, only Amigaz can comment on the Game Blaster sounds, if he has DKK.

Reply 174 of 1952, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Basically, any Sound Blaster card should be fine. Death Knights of Krynn's music is not very memorable, at least for me. Game Blaster should be able to output the FM sounds in stereo, if SSI had coded as such. As of now, only Amigaz can comment on the Game Blaster sounds, if he has DKK.

DKK? *check!*

p1010005.jpg

Although I'm missing the adventurer's journal book *waaah!* 😢

Just ran the game and used my game blaster card....to my ears the music is mono...and sfx comes thru the pc speaker

Reply 175 of 1952, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

DKK? *check!*

Hehehe! Great! Thanks for sharing the info! The PC speaker sound effects, on the other hand, is quite nice!

Reply 176 of 1952, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Hehehe! Great! Thanks for sharing the info! The PC speaker sound effects, on the other hand, is quite nice!

Ah, that explains everything - the sound fx are being sent to the PC speaker. I didn't realise this, because I rarely plug my "mobo testing kit PC speaker" on to its 4 pin header on the mobo.

Reply 177 of 1952, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Vangers. Yes, gamespot gave it lukewarm review. On the other hand, I don't always agree with gamespot either.

vangers-buy01-pic-01.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 178 of 1952, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember playing the Vangers demo when it came out and was unimpressed. At that time if a game left my Voodoo card idle then it was a waste of time. 😢 I feel so ashamed now.

Reply 179 of 1952, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bushwack wrote:

I remember playing the Vangers demo when it came out and was unimpressed. At that time if a game left my Voodoo card idle then it was a waste of time. 😢 I feel so ashamed now.

To be fair, I skipped Vangers the first time it came around, not to mention that I was skeptical to Interactive Magic at that time (despite the name "Wild Bill" Stealey and the supposed Microprose legacy). But upon reading this and this, my interests began to stir.

IT Reviews wrote:

(Several days later) Wow. Vangers is a game that truly defies classification. But I'll try anyway. It's something of a cross between a strategy game like Total Annihilation, a driving game like Micro Machines and a trading/adventure game like Wing Commander Privateer. All rolled into one

Game Over Online wrote:

Fun Factor:

This rating depends a lot on your tolerance. If you are a patient person and don't mind LEARNING a game before you can play - then the rating's right. If you're a mind-warped lunatic who bought a laptop and lives in a trailer park because you think you'll move, I STILL stand by my rating, since it ain't my problem - but you may want to pick up the trainer for the game on our Trainers page. Or rather, don't play this - this is not for the brainless, go play Quake instead 😉.

Ironically, a resource-light game like Vangers would make a good laptop game. Plan to run it on my MSI Wind.

By the way, am I the only one who think that Gamespot reviews tend to get biased towards Quake-like games? 😖

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.