VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 160 of 276, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I saw something like this coming (but didn't know where they'll screw up) :

1. The decision to uphold the name "Forever" seems more like a point to sell the games by the publishers. - Create a hype that the long awaited legend is finally being resurrected "to appease the fans", when in fact, it's to create as much excitement among the true fans who have been waiting so long, so that the first burst will create instant sales.

2. The "DNF Goes Gold" article recently further consolidated the fact above - I had my suspicions when they were hyping to hell regarding "how good it's gonna be, how the legend is finally to come, and bla,bla..." which I made a parody of previously in this thread. 😁

3.. It is indeed sad to see that there's no map editor to create own levels.

4. Yeah, down with corporate bastar*s.

In the end, I guess those who are happy with this are those who are new to FPS genre, and those who just want to run and shoot in a new "Duke3D" environment, and to re-live "the legend that was thought will be never made".

They developers and publishers have totally forgotten the real cream - the modder community!

I never thought they'll screw around the most vital part - the hopes of true fans.

@MusicallyInspired:

But seriously, though, MusicallyInspired, do you think they can make a patch or something to fullfill all the fans been waiting for? Maybe something like free-add-on and patcher-modules to rectify the huge rage being generated by faithful fans against it?

I know you have been waiting so long to see this game shine, and so do so many faithful fans out there.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 161 of 276, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
I saw something like this coming (but didn't know where they'll screw up) : […]
Show full quote

I saw something like this coming (but didn't know where they'll screw up) :

1. The decision to uphold the name "Forever" seems more like a point to sell the games by the publishers. - Create a hype that the long awaited legend is finally being resurrected "to appease the fans", when in fact, it's to create as much excitement among the true fans who have been waiting so long, so that the first burst will create instant sales.

2. The "DNF Goes Gold" article recently further consolidated the fact above - I had my suspicions when they were hyping to hell regarding "how good it's gonna be, how the legend is finally to come, and bla,bla..." which I made a parody of previously in this thread. 😁

3.. It is indeed sad to see that there's no map editor to create own levels.

4. Yeah, down with corporate bastar*s.

In the end, I guess those who are happy with this are those who are new to FPS genre, and those who just want to run and shoot in a new "Duke3D" environment, and to re-live "the legend that was thought will be never made".

They developers and publishers have totally forgotten the real cream - the modder community!

I never thought they'll screw around the most vital part - the hopes of true fans.

@MusicallyInspired:

But seriously, though, MusicallyInspired, do you think they can make a patch or something to fullfill all the fans been waiting for? Maybe something like free-add-on and patcher-modules to rectify the huge rage being generated by faithful fans against it?

I know you have been waiting so long to see this game shine, and so do so many faithful fans out there.

It's not surprising they didn't include a level editor. It just means they plan to release sequel after sequel or expansion pack after expansion pack and they don't want you to be able to get new levels anywhere else but through them. How do they sell their crappy expansion pack when there's a handful of really good modders out there who could release something 100x better for free?

Reply 162 of 276, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

It's not surprising they didn't include a level editor. It just means they plan to release sequel after sequel or expansion pack after expansion pack and they don't want you to be able to get new levels anywhere else but through them. How do they sell their crappy expansion pack when there's a handful of really good modders out there who could release something 100x better for free?

It is not surprising, but imo a really BAD development in gaming. Many modders have created such great quality maps and mods, that some of them ended up getting offered a real job!!
So this is money over people...bleh 🙁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 163 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gearbox has stated that the console was removed because it made it possible to cheat very badly in multiplayer. That seems like kind of a lame excuse to me. Every other FPS out there has console active with multiplayer and nobody's cheating to any great degree. They did say they are looking into ways to enable it without affecting multiplayer. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath. So disappointing. I was prepared for disappointment in every other area, even in the absence of mod tools because we already knew we weren't getting them. But there's always something....

The single player game is still mega fun, though.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 164 of 276, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No level editor ? well there is probably some Unreal Editor, and some cool hackers/crackers who can put something together and then release the editor open source.

Reply 165 of 276, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:

No level editor ? well there is probably some Unreal Editor, and some cool hackers/crackers who can put something together and then release the editor open source.

That tends to happen over time I just think an offical MDK release is the shiznit as it tends to keep replayability for a game going *almost* forever 😜

Look at Oblivion for instance, to this day there are still mods being produced and updated 😀

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 166 of 276, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BigBodZod wrote:
WolverineDK wrote:

That tends to happen over time I just think an offical MDK release is the shiznit as it tends to keep replayability for a game going *almost* forever 😜

Look at Oblivion for instance, to this day there are still mods being produced and updated 😀

I so totally agree, just look at Doom , man people are still developing that engine, and the most insanely awesome engines of doom are Vavoom, Risen 3D which is based on the Doomsday Doom engine. And there are just loads upon loads of different editors and so forth. Hell there are so many different source ports of the Doom engine, that is pretty hard to follow all of them, unless you read doomworld every now and then, and or for that matter checks out the wikipedia article for some of them.

Reply 167 of 276, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An UnrealEd3 paste on hack is most unlikely as DNF uses a different new packaging format (.dat) and model/animation formats (msh, dmx, dtx) as well as sounds (.mp3)

One big part of Duke3D's legacy is BUILD.EXE being included. I guess this is something lost on Randy and Broussard's mind...

I think Doom source ports are easy to follow with the choices right now:
Chocolate Doom, if you're a purist
prBoom, if you're a semi-purist that wants modern, but also demands pure compatibility
Zdoom/Gzdoom, if you like extreme engine abuse for copy-and-paste creativity
Doomsday, if you like lens flare
Zdaemon, if you want to frag a kid or manchild online and get banned by bratty admin globally
Skulltag, if you want to frag a furry or otaku online and get banned by pissy admin globally
Odamex, if you want to frag a Doom player online and don't get banned for stupid reasons

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 168 of 276, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gosh thanks for the Doom port comments, leileilol. I think I'm after absolute maximum lens flare so Doomsday is for me. If the current version works, that is. 😉 Is there one with fake HDR megabloom too?

eduke32 is neat, btw.

Reply 169 of 276, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, I use eduke32 with HRP. Very nice graphical update and real mouselook capablities.

I use Doomsday too, for DOOM et al - works well in the G73JH under Win7 x64 too.

Edit : The only problem I see with these HRPs (at least for me) is that the enemiy models look less dangerous/scary in full 3D. 😁 The blocky demonspawn in the original DOOM series, look more terrifying than the 3d models. But maybe it's just me.

Reply 170 of 276, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use eduke32 as well, but WITHOUT the HRP and WITHOUT dukeplus - can't stand that thing, its long load times and often poor 3d artwork, and the lamest of injokes added to textures. Ted Turner, wtf?

Much of the HRP's models were Milkshape jobs especially the monsters. Milkshape is terribly limited, so yeah

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 171 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The latest polymer HRP (V 5.0) has new models for a few of the enemies and bosses which look loads better than they used to. They were not made in Milkshape and made use of the ZBrush tool for detail of the models and the normal/spec/parallax maps. The Cycloid Emperor and the Overlord in particular both look far better now. Assets of the HRP are being refined and re-refined all the time. Don't give up on it.

leileilol wrote:

One big part of Duke3D's legacy is BUILD.EXE being included. I guess this is something lost on Randy and Broussard's mind...

Don't blame George. He said on multiple occasions that they were releasing mod tools (Duke's Enormous Tool) at launch. You can blame him for taking so long and getting sued and losing the license, though. But it's either Gearbox or 2k that have forced the complete absence of modding ability from DNF because "...it was not something we planned to do." Yeah right.

My Github

Reply 172 of 276, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the HRP still has a long way to go:

- Zipped TGAs load much faster than zipped PNG files. When you have LARGE ANIMATED SKYBOXES loading painfully this is bad
- IQM format transforms better than MD3 by being a skeletal model format. Interpolation makes vertex movement look UGLY (and perhaps IQM would allow Polymer to go faster with vertex programs taking over)
- Duke's arms need hair shell layers and less gloss. It's like i'm a frickin nerd
- Drop the synthetic explosions and actually sample the same Hollywood explosions library Duke3D, Hexen and Command & Conquer used (the same shroom boom's in all 3). The synthetic fires and weird photoshopped explosion isn't the same
- OTish but opengl modes could multiply shade instead, so dark orange skies could look dark orange and not brown for example

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 173 of 276, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Soooooo....anyone actually have DNF by now? 🤣...

Report spammers here!

Reply 174 of 276, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is it just me, or does the polygon version of Duke´s first weapon looks like a puny little gun in polygon version ? I mean a take a look. But anyway that has always been a gripe of mine in comparison to anything else. here is the original pixelated gun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekgW6ddkpTc where the polygon version looks like a joke in comparison.

Reply 175 of 276, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm done watching a DNF gameplay video online and...well, the reactor part totally reminded me of Half-Life's right before "Unforeseen Consequences" and the rc truck retrieving the energy cell has "Seppuku Station" written all over it.

Kickstarting the whole thing with Duke taking a piss was cheap, and graphics-wise I don't see anything that truly tickles my fancy.

I'd have to play it to really "get it", that would be the fair thing to do, but guess I just stopped caring for video games like 10 years ago.

Anyways, hurray for the American badass, it was about time 😎

Reply 176 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not the same gun. The gun in Duke3D is a form of a Glock mixed with another pistol. In DNF it's a Colt .45 1911.

My Github

Reply 178 of 276, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I watched some footage of DNF on youtube while being played on the xbox. The guy kept getting frustrated by the xbox's lousy controls and I could feel the pain!
Why would anyone ever want to bother playing a FPS on a console anyway, it's interface kinda sucks.
The guy kept pressing the wrong buttons by accident all the time and had a worse accuracy then a blind man

Report spammers here!

Reply 179 of 276, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

I watched some footage of DNF on youtube while being played on the xbox. The guy kept getting frustrated by the xbox's lousy controls and I could feel the pain!
Why would anyone ever want to bother playing a FPS on a console anyway, it's interface kinda sucks.
The guy kept pressing the wrong buttons by accident all the time and had a worse accuracy then a blind man

Tetrium, that's what I think too - why do they bother using the gamepad for playing first-person perspective shooters.

But trust me, there are some who vehemently stand by the "superiority" of the gamepad controllers in FPS. In fact, there are some who will even laugh at anyone using the keyb-mouse combo for playing these games, saying the gamepads are "more accurate" , and "challenging" any pc player using the keyb-mouse combo to go against them. Some even boast that they "can make a headshot even before the pc player can move the mouse."

(I'm glad I didn't participate in those kiddies' forums.)

Well, I can understand there are skills that you can get proficient at with lots of practice, and may even master the skill completely, but, there are always certain methods or instruments that are more suitable for a particular job.

Maybe these console owners can't be bothered with the complexities of setting up the PC for gaming. It's easier to pop in a disc into a console and start playing straight away, anyway, rather than adjusting the graphics, audio, gameplay, keyboard mappings, etc. And all these AFTER making sure the pc can handle the game properly with the presence of the right CPU, GPU and RAM.

(Wow, we're good aren't we? So many things to do, yet we do them all before playing a single game!)

Maybe these console-gamepad-fps-users have "Auto-aim" feature turned ON. Maybe the console versions come with the default setting set to on.

Maybe, and just maybe, they don't even realize the auto-aim feature is turned on! 🤣

(P.S. I too have 3 consoles, but I don't like playing FPS with them. 😁)

Last edited by Malik on 2011-06-13, 11:32. Edited 2 times in total.