windows8

Topic actions

Reply 161 of 321, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

... Who, pray tell, is "behaving like a passive sheep"? ...

I would, were I to follow your suggestion to 'relax and shut your mouth'.

However as long as freedom of speech and freedom of choice aren't outlawed, I plan to voice my opinion. If you don't mind.

SquallStrife wrote:

... The only reason the industry goes where it does is because of market demand. There is demand for tablets and smartphones, the industry is only responding to that.

Sure. But there is no market demand for touchscreen in desktops (as there is no demand for submarines in the Sahara). Even if we agree to swallow the 'The Desktop is Dead' horsecrap, there are currently over a billion desktop users on which 'the industry' is trying to force, down their throats while pinning their noses, something they don't want or need, while destroying what they really want and need in the process.

As a desktop user I'm not delighted at all with the idea. And I choose to express my discontent.

Let the air flow!

Reply 162 of 321, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

'relax and shut your mouth'

Way to misquote.

What I said is relax and use what suits you. Voice your opinion, sure, but there's nothing to be gained by getting worked up and angry about something you can simply not buy. It's not like

TELVM wrote:

force, down their throats while pinning their noses

Nice use of hyperbole. You should write campaigns for politicians! 😜

Don't like it? Cool. Don't buy it. Stay on 7. Plenty of businesses I work with are planning to, and the "End of availability" isn't even set yet (updated January 2013). Who cares. Then in 7 years (Yes! The year 2020!) when Windows 7 hits the end of extended support, if there still isn't a Windows for you, find an alternative. Linux might have decent vendor support by then, who knows.

What bothers me, and all I've been saying since the beginning, is that if one is going to comment on something, give it a go, or at least do a little objective research.

TELVM wrote:

As a desktop user I'm not delighted at all with the idea. And I choose to express my discontent.

Go for it, I don't ever want people to not say what they think. I just wish people would say what they think clearly, and without ranting.

"I won't fuckin use it, it's shit" accomplishes nothing, adds nothing, isn't worth posting.

"I've looked at a few screenshots, and it seems like the new workflow would hinder me, I'll stick with Win7 for now" is a useful contribution, could spark a good discussion on UI and UX design.

Anyway, as tincup says, I'm nuts, so I'm done with this derail.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 163 of 321, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

That doesn't really make any sense. I don't know where you're pulling "dictate" from.

The only reason the industry goes where it does is because of market demand. There is demand for tablets and smartphones, the industry is only responding to that.

Unfortunately, controlling a customer-base is a major factor. At the small business I work, one can stick it out without software changes for a while, then turn to the big software publishers. As they are the only one selling the software to work on our data, being in their format. True, there have been desirable new features, but any more cloud services is not practical, work most also be done in remote areas without internet/gsm. In addition more cloud would increase the dependancy on the publishers significantly. For years now some EULA's are hardly acceptable, but there is no negotiation on them, nor are there alternatives for some of the tasks. And even if there would be, other companies will offer and request data in proprietary formats, whilsts employees expect a familiar software interface.

It is a market with a lot of fences.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 164 of 321, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

... Don't like it? Cool. Don't buy it. Stay on 7. Plenty of businesses I work with are planning to, and the "End of availability" isn't even set yet (updated January 2013). Who cares. Then in 7 years (Yes! The year 2020!) when Windows 7 hits the end of extended support, if there still isn't a Windows for you, find an alternative. Linux might have decent vendor support by then, who knows ...

So there is no flaw in W8, it's us the users who are the problem, and we should either swallow the Sesame Street tiles, or go have intercourse with ourselves.

Fine, way to go, keep at it, that's the kind of attitude that is catapulting W8 to such an unprecedented success.

... Microsoft is marketing like a bully, as if the consumer message were, "We know your technology future better than you do. So […]
Show full quote

... Microsoft is marketing like a bully, as if the consumer message were, "We know your technology future better than you do. So you must adopt our vision of it."

Forcing loyal users through a usage quirk at every boot, just to arrive at the starting point that millions of people have loved for years, is wishful thinking at best, user hostility at worst -- and self-damaging in either event ...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/12/microsoft- … -notes/?m=false

I've been using Microsoft operating systems for a quarter of a century. Never had an Apple. Never touched Linux. But if that's what there is now, so be it, the last one Se7en will be.

I expect by ~2020 some clever third party will be offering some serious desktop OS. Nature abhors a vacuum.

Let the air flow!

Reply 165 of 321, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

So there is no flaw in W8, it's us the users who are the problem, and we should either swallow the Sesame Street tiles, or go have intercourse with ourselves.

Fine, way to go, keep at it, that's the kind of attitude that is catapulting W8 to such an unprecedented success.

Now you're just being idiotic.

I said don't buy it, not "go have intercourse with yourself". Those are your words. Not mine.

Vote with your wallet.

TELVM wrote:

I expect by ~2020 some clever third party will be offering some serious desktop OS. Nature abhors a vacuum.

NOW You're making sense!

Reply 166 of 321, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

Now you're just being idiotic ...

Sure I am 😀 .

They are idiots too at Lenovo, look how idiotic they are 😁 :

Lenovo: Windows 8 is so good, everyone wants Windows 7 […]
Show full quote

Lenovo: Windows 8 is so good, everyone wants Windows 7

"You don't notch up 15 consecutive quarters of growth in a declining market without doing something right - so what's PC maker Lenovo doing right?

Well, many things. But it can't do any harm that Lenovo is protecting enterprises from the waterboarding torture of the Microsoft Windows 8 operating system. The majority of Lenovo's enterprise shipments have Windows 7 installed; the touchscreen-friendly Windows 8 is discreetly bundled on its own separate disc.

Lenovo has learned from the Windows Vista experience that the official Microsoft "downgrade" path can be painful. So the machines are "downgraded" to Windows 7 by default. Of course, that's exactly what customers want - and Lenovo is reaping the benefit of listening to those customers.

The computer maker even throws in a Start Menu for Windows 8, which is installable from the Lenovo software bundle ..."

12450396.png

Let the air flow!

Reply 167 of 321, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like Lenovo are taking my advice, and simply installing Windows 7 instead of throwing internet tantrums. A nice, effective, pragmatic solution. Money speaks.

Reply 169 of 321, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lenovo? well that's pretty cool. I do know that W8 does not appear to have registered much if at all with business people in my line of work. I think W8 has a sort of "teen smart phone/barrista/ipad" thing going on that has people saying things like "ummm no thank you, we need the business version?"..

Reply 171 of 321, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

A bold step by Lenovo. Makes me want to make Lenovo as my next notebook purchase. 😁

I'm using Lenovo B460 laptop, because it has nVidia graphics and it does not have Optimus. With B460, I can have Windows XP and nVidia graphics at the same time.

I even heard that later Lenovo models have the option of turning off Optimus through BIOS. Interesting.

I like the way Lenovo gives us the consumers option to turn off undesirables. Undesirables like nVidia Optimus and Windows 8, which are usually being forced down the consumer's throat by other vendors.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 172 of 321, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have installed win8 at my office PC since it needed a format anyways... so I decided to check first hand win8.
I can't say that I like it. Had to install one of these start menu programs to get the old desktop back. I still have no idea about that lame "charms?" bar that appears at the right part of the screen, it does nothing important anyways. The "new" start screen/menu is just awful. 0 usability. Maybe it's OK for people that use their computers to browse facebook and listen to music but for a mid-range user it's a big handicap. It should exist as an option, not as the only "start" thingie.
It feels as fast as any fresh windows installation but all those little unnecessary changes just make me want to go back to 7. You can't even change the wallpaper without the start bar automatically change color. And they disabled the aero effect, why?! it was nice! I don't really care for eyecandy but having a beige start bar is just lame 🤣
I was a person that really liked Vista (yes! had a good pc too) and immensely enjoying win7 but 8 seems too childish/simplified and boring. The new features cat old real quick...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 173 of 321, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found the windows key + x brings up a control panel like start menu. or so i was told. also Aero should be enabled, you sure you have the correct video driver and that it hasn't defaulted to a generic video driver?

I'm interested to see how if windows blue really is a windows 7 interface for 8.

Reply 174 of 321, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

winkey+x brings a little menu where the start menu is :

k315pk.jpg

I am also waiting for windows blue to see if I finally make the change... for now I am getting back to 7pro/x64

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 175 of 321, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

... I like the way Lenovo gives us the consumers option to turn off undesirables ...

Exactly. Lenovo is trying to give back the freedom of choice that Microsoft is bent on destroying nowadays.

cdoublejj wrote:

... I'm interested to see how if windows blue really is a windows 7 interface for 8.

I hope and pray and would be delighted to be proven wrong, but the winds seem to blow from the opposite direction ...

Let the air flow!

Reply 176 of 321, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have to say i never liked start menu as it disappears after every action.
lets say i want to check properties of the file or just read/use one of many .txt/pdf/url/help/subprogram/etc files and i have to go through the whole manu every time...
for running programs i just use desktop shortcuts
so this start menu is just useless

Ability to browse start menu in total commander would be more useful, but there are two of them (for user and all users) which makes it less handy.

Reply 177 of 321, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

... I like the way Lenovo gives us the consumers option to turn off undesirables ...

Exactly. Lenovo is trying to give back the freedom of choice that Microsoft is bent on destroying nowadays.

loooool.

WCAtcXil.png
KpPwhqdl.png
PvksWLnl.png
XrRIIn5l.png

I took these screenshots in the last 10 minutes. How can Lenovo give back something that wasn't taken away to begin with?

Whatever you're smoking, pass it over, I want some.

Reply 178 of 321, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been spending some quality time the last few days lavishing attention on my W95 system. Back in the day W95 couldn't fall into the garbage can quickly enough, but now all these years later, she's not too bad - pretty snappy in fact and so pleasantly rudimentary. Oh to have been hip to the wonders of msconfig back in the day, or had access to a stable version of directX.... Even got USB 1.1 running nice! Oh wait Win8... arrrggghhhh;)

Reply 179 of 321, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

Been spending some quality time the last few days lavishing attention on my W95 system. Back in the day W95 couldn't fall into the garbage can quickly enough, but now all these years later, she's not too bad - pretty snappy in fact and so pleasantly rudimentary. Oh to have been hip to the wonders of msconfig back in the day, or had access to a stable version of directX.... Even got USB 1.1 running nice! Oh wait Win8... arrrggghhhh;)

This thread instantly got better. 🤣 Win95 is the first OS I ever saw and used, so it's certainly very nostalgic for me. Love the GUI too. And no, using classic mode or whatever it is called in the newer versions is _not_ the same 😉