VOGONS

Common searches

We were all newbies once

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, I didn't mean to "pollute" the thread.
That should be mentioned somewhere too, don't get off the topic of a forum or a thread.
Something that might really help is an explanation. A lot of people refuse to listen to people who tell them what to do (or not to do) without a good reason, e.g. no getting off topic because it makes it harder to read, at least for the information the forum or thread is supposed to be about.
I also agree highly with verbosity. I don't like to say it, but you know it's true: big words and new words make stupid people uncomfortable.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 22 of 26, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that too, many people truly are terrified of a whole page of text
I finally looked at that wiki, it is pretty complete, new stuff probably should be put in there, provided it stays user-friendly, maybe more user-friendly than it is now

How to become a hacker

Reply 23 of 26, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been thinking about this issue, and thinking that maybe an example would help, at least in some way, and I think this is a prime example. How should we handle this? I think the answer should be applied to all posts like this one.
It's rude to ignore someone, but then it's often considered rude not to read the FAQ, BUT I still feel for this guy a little, BUT I don't want to encourage this kind of laziness (I'll encourage other kinds, but not this kind;).

How to become a hacker

Reply 24 of 26, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well I started working on a page like Zorbid described. Hopefully it will help when I bring it online

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 25 of 26, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is very hard explaining how to run a program to someone whose DOS skills were rudimentary and now-almost forgotten and whose Windows skills aren't that much better. Other people just don't seem to understand that you are on your own if you have a cracked game. Still others feel as though DOSBox has to run their personal productivity program.

I think that help pages for specific, commonly problematic games would be very useful in a wiki format.

Reply 26 of 26, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

a lot of people here have probably seen this already, but I think it deserves a mention
http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/ … no-answers.html
it being a frequently given answer, maybe people should be pointed there they make a post that revolves around a yes or no question

How to become a hacker