Topic actions

Reply 21 of 23, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

You'd slaughter your good old soundcard? 😳

Both chips are socketed. So you can also install sockets on your selfmade adlib and plug the chips to whichever card you want. I have alrady removed and pluged again both fm chips and also cms chips on my sb2.0 to test the card with only cms chips or with only fm chips or with both 😀 I can also move my cms chips between my sb1.5 and sb2.0 card 😀 And I guess when i plug the cms chips into my sb1.5 it becomes a sb1.0 card 😀

Reply 22 of 23, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:

YMF chip is not hard to get - it is in every sb1.0, sb1.5, sb2.0 and sbpro1 (pro1 has even two of them), although sb2.0 is the easiest card to find. The chip is socketed so no risk of destroying the sb card.

Don't know about dac. Maybe it is on the sb cards too? Is it the Y3014B (FM 1314) chip? so it is on every sb1/1.5/2.0/pro1 (pro1 has two of them) too, also socketed.

The Y3014 DAC will be found socketed on the SB1.0/1.5/2.0/Pro 1.0 if the YM3812 chip is socketed. Most are on these cards, and the Pro has two of them.

Reply 23 of 23, by Thrillo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Amigaz wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:
The big one has, to the extent it can be dumped: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd8kqn9f_13cqjkf4gp […]
Show full quote

wow, a real adlib card!.. i wonder if those chips are dumped.

The big one has, to the extent it can be dumped:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd8kqn9f_13cqjkf4gp

The other chips are standard TTL logic, amplifiers and a DAC.

The adlib has a very "warm" but noisy sound compared to a Sound Blaster

An excellent contribution, I never knew anyone had found actual differences compared with a Sound Blaster. However, I must ask which Sound Blaster was the comparison done with?

Also, it is rare to find an Adlib card where the chip markings for the two Yamaha chips have not been scratched off. I suppose Adlib gave up trying to protect their identity once everybody learned the identity of the chip.

Compared to SB1.5, 2.0 and SB16 CT17xx series
Listened thru my 300eur Sennheiser headphones

I know what you mean; I had a SB 1.0 (or maybe it was a 1.5) a while back and it sounded a lot better than any other SB version, such as the 2.0, Pro, 32 (no surprise there really), and various clones. It had very clear bass and highs, BUT it came at the cost of having a large amount of background noise. It was enough that when a note played, I could hear the aliasing produced by the FM chip. Apparently this model didn't ship with filters, unlike all the other SBs. Personally, I felt that the tradeoff was worth it because I really enjoyed hearing EVERY single detail that the FM chip produced. Dunno where it is now 😒 .