Common searches

Reply 20 of 56, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:
rcblanke wrote:

...I guess I'll throw everything but one rig...

Ouch! Regrets will only follow. You sure no friend's garage or basement you can temporarity ditch the stuff?

Reply 22 of 56, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, better find a way to keep that stuff for sure. Prices on ebay are shooting up already, a lot of that hardware will be really expensive in a few years. I mean, recently someone paid almost 100 bucks for an AWE64 Gold...

Reply 23 of 56, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

recently someone paid almost 100 bucks for an AWE64 Gold...

when they should have been digging for the really good stuff instead. I can't believe somebody would pay that much for an AWE!

Last edited by swaaye on 2013-02-07, 23:18. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 24 of 56, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

when they should have been digging for the really good stuff instead. I can't believe somebody would pay that much for an AWE!

Agreed! If you get the AWE64 Gold you might as well get the CMI8330 or the Yamaha YMF719 (if you need a true OPL3) for peanuts and use the money saved on a XR385 or SC55 (if you don't have one)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 25 of 56, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I never said that money for an AWE is justified! 😵 But it really goes to show that people are ready to blow this kind of money on retro stuff by now, even if it's not exactly 3D Blaster VLB or even V5 6k rare. Even better, that price was in euros! That's $129 for ya. Here's the link: http://www.ebay.de/itm/271141909767?nma=true& … &orig_cvip=true

I like the YMF719 a lot btw, but it's such a huge shame you can't install a standard-sized DB on it by normal means. They thought that atrocious softsynth would be enough...

Reply 26 of 56, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hatta wrote:

I don't see how 3 PCs is a terrible burden. My laundry takes up more space than 3 PCs.

It's nice to see some optimism! But try to say that to a Mrs. 😁

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 27 of 56, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
swaaye wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

Agreed! If you get the AWE64 Gold you might as well get the CMI8330 or the Yamaha YMF719 (if you need a true OPL3) for peanuts and use the money saved on a XR385 or SC55 (if you don't have one)

I wish you could disable the WSS emulation on the CMI8330, it uses so many resources with WSS and SB16!!!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 28 of 56, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are also like I am, you build a giant software collection to go with those PC's and have walls of jewel cases, floppies and big boxes to stare at in joy. Also girls look at you funny when they come to visit...

Reply 29 of 56, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RoyBatty wrote:

If you are also like I am, you build a giant software collection to go with those PC's and have walls of jewel cases, floppies and big boxes to stare at in joy. Also girls look at you funny when they come to visit...

I do that too. My GF looks at my shelves of boxes with a raised eyebrow as well. She thinks my old CH sticks, throttle, and pedals are curious too.

You know, I recently got a 500gb USB HDD to save iso images of all my game cdroms so that I can pack away the enormous collection of boxes and save some space. But you're right in that the shelves of old game boxes bring some joy. It's real nice to see them there and reminisce. I'm looking at HIND, HardWar, and Syndicate Wars and smiling right now. I think I'll leave them out. Thanks! 😀

I'm still going to keep the USB HDD though. It's nice to have iso images and all my collection of patches and documentation in once place. Good ol' Daemon Tools v3.47 makes things so much easier.

Reply 30 of 56, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RoyBatty wrote:

My wife caught me cataloging my games in a spreadsheet the other night - it was awkward.

The list is 160 games long which surprised me a bit - and that's not including steam / GOG games.

Reply 32 of 56, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

This x100.

Except the Codename: Iceman bit. 😜

My gaming PCs are in that "complete" stage. I'm still picking up other "home computer" and games console stuff that tickles my fancy (it was in that vein that I grabbed the IBM PC), but I won't be buying 486/S7/S370 bits or sound cards/MIDI synths unless something fails.

We should start a Codename Iceman thread 😀

In a way, reaching that completed stage is a bit depressing, but also relieving as you can finally sit down and just enjoy your games.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 33 of 56, by sheath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually started with trying to get my modern PCs to work with my favorite games. When these games started to fail to even install I started trying emulators like Dosbox, or repurchasing on Steam (also Dosbox) and finally Virtual Machines. When none of these options satisfied me that I could record or play the authentic 90s experience I started looking for a case for my old Asus motherboard with Celeron 300A still installed.

Instead I ended up with my bro-in-law's PIII machine and a combination of the Matrox Mystique 8MB I had in my original PC (MAC before that) and a Riva TNT card. Overall I am very pleased to have one box that can play Windows 95, DOS and 98 games in an authentic (for '99) fashion.

Reply 34 of 56, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

Ouch! Regrets will only follow. You sure no friend's garage or basement you can temporarity ditch the stuff?

I know. I was collecting and building stuff slowly and carefully for 5 years now; and I already sent my loving babies (S3 Virge GX, Diamond Monster 1, Diamond Monster II 12mb SLI, V3 3500 and Voodoo TV/FM along with the Shutter Glasses) back home in a nice plastic case to join the V5 5500. Those things I will never sell; I'm gonna show them to my grand children one day 😜 But the rest I cannot afford to move around and about.

BTW guys - imagine living in a student dorm, in a 11 quad meters room with 3 retro PCs, 21" Sony Trinitron that takes up a half of the working table, a couple of keyboards, mice and proprietaries along with a couple of modern laptops next to it all. My GF (not GeForce 😜) always facepalms when she enters 😵

Reply 35 of 56, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never done #1... does this make me an anti-retro-gamer despite my collection of old consoles and DOS games? :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 36 of 56, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

I've never done #1... does this make me an anti-retro-gamer despite my collection of old consoles and DOS games? 😜

NEVER?! Oh Blasphemy! You are insulting the Retrogaming Code, not really.

Not everyone starts the same, you could get to #1 eventually though of you are not careful enough 😁

Actually this has been more or less my personal experience and I'm very happy to see that many people also think and have opinion about their experience. Cheers...

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 37 of 56, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm a little different to the evolution. I use the old machines to test open source games for compatibility and low-end performance, since I can't test that on quad-core monsters 😁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 38 of 56, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On second thought, maybe I never got evolved in the first place.

Even after having some respectably fulfilling "do-it-all" machines, I still tend to keep a 486 machine, a Pentium machine, and constantly keep playing in these machines the games that I feel like playing again and again, including some Lucasarts and Sierra adventures, just to listen to the MT-32-esque music and Sound Blaster effects. They never seem to get old.

This is inspite of having DOSBOX installed in ALL my modern machines, including my Crossfire-based setup.

Even my phone* has Dosbox and Scummvm installed.

*-(Imagine playing Master of Orion on the Galaxy Note II).

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 39 of 56, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The period correct phase usually ends once you find a part that relieves a major bottleneck in the system and improves your frame rates tremendously and then period correct goes out the window.