Common searches

If you could let it all go

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 41, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first PC that I owned myself was cobbled out of used parts, I think for about $400 or $500.
Once I had a job, though, I went a bit nuts with upgrades.

By my sophomore year in college I had upgraded that humble PC to the following specs:

DX2-66
20MB RAM
SVGA
Soundblaster AWE 32
1 500MB HD
CDROM
250MB QIC tape drive
OS/2 Warp
It was a nice little system. I probably should have switched to PS/2 for gaming once 3d started being a huge thing, since that was what really started my problem with upgrades.

Reply 22 of 41, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

A hobby can cost some $ but it is easy to get carried away with this stuff. 😀

Quoted for truth my friend. That is for sure. At least I've more or less gotten a handle on my finances now.

Reply 24 of 41, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would I let it go for what I paid for it, hell NO! Would I take current ebay prices for it, probably if one person came to pick it all up and I got paid cash.

I have been collecting for around 14 years, back when people would just give the stuff away to get it out of the house, shipping was dirt cheap, and ebay was still small. Sure the stuff takes up a lot of space, but its basement space nobody really cares about (mostly).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 26 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snorg wrote:

I did some back of the napkin math one day to estimate what I've spent since 1989.
It's pretty bad. I don't want to think what that money would have bought if I had put it in a money market account or a Vanguard index fund and let it sit until now. At the time it didn't seem like much, but it all adds up.

But the value of your items has also gone up 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 27 of 41, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha 🤣 Never ! 😁 Big part of it are stuff that I desired since my childhood, and it took me so much time and efforts to find it at a fair price and make it works, that I can't possiby think of selling them. 😵
I wish it could last as long as me and last till I will be retired 🤣 (yep I'm crazy, sadly all good things come to an end 😢 )
Some of the components just dying alone whereas they worked great last time they were used 😵 (happen to me with 4 motherboards 😠 )

Reply 28 of 41, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My ultrabook cost more that all my secondhand PC gear put together, as did my main PCs, and probably my WoW subs for the few years I played regularly.

Letting the old stuff go would free me time and space, the money is less significant. But it would be impossible to replace easily.

That said, I have now got to the stage of wondering about moving on. Haven't used the old gear for ages, most of it is packed away.

Reply 29 of 41, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would sell It all for what I paid for sure, I've spent too much time tweaking/testing and haven't spent enough time enjoying the computers.

Imagine how much money all your retro gear was worth when it was bleeding edge? Its not hard too imagine some collections would be worth well into six figures or even millions, its jaw dropping stuff how much computer gear depreciates.

Reply 32 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:

I would sell It all for what I paid for sure, I've spent too much time tweaking/testing and haven't spent enough time enjoying the computers.

You would? I remember reading all your updates of your 386DX 😀 You really got all the best parts you could find. I'm sure one day you will have the time to sit down and enjoy some of the games 😀

I also play very little but for me the hardware and making YT video is just as much fun as playing these old games...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 34 of 41, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've only been stocking up old stuff to be able to learn things about old hardware by playing with the actual old hardware!
But I see that I've stocked already way too much hardware, so I think that I'm gonna keep only 2-3 sets, let's say a Pentium 4 for Windows 98se, a Pentium 133 for dos and a k6-3 for everything else.
So when I finish being occupied by the military force of my county (obligatory service), I'll test all my old stuff, set it up and sell it...

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 35 of 41, by armankordi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

most everything I got free/less than $20, so if I were to get a huge refund, probably around $80-$90.
i would love to get all my basement space back though.

IBM PS/2 8573-121 386-20 DOS6.2/W3.1
IBM PS/2 8570-E61 386-16 W95
IBM PS/2 8580-071 386-16 (486DX-33 reply) OS/2 warp
486DX/2 - 66/32mb ram/256k cache/504mb hdd/cdrom/awe32/DOS6.2/WFW3.11
K6/2 - 350/128mb ram/512k cache/4.3gb hdd/cdr/sblive/w98

Reply 36 of 41, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got most stuff pretty cheap so I'm not sure if I'd give it all up...it is a hassle moving it around and storing it and taking it out setting it all up putting it away again and setting it up again....it's a vicious circle 🤣...but if I could give it all up for cash I might one day only to buy it all back when I regret it a couple years down the road 🤣

Reply 37 of 41, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I collected most of my stuff early before prices went up. I sold off a lot of my spares and unused parts and I think I pretty much broke even, but I do still have quite a lot. My bigger regret is all the money I wasted on new computer crap during my high school and university days.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 39 of 41, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Prices are only going up so I don't think I would do it.

I got a nice little collection that will keep me busy for a very long time. I think I would regret selling it even for a few thousand dollars. What would I do with the money?

I do know lots of people that got burried and gave up their hobby 😒

/\ Truth /\

I have so much stuff back logged already, just waiting for my attention that I have actually begun to think of it all as my "post retirement" plan. It is absolutely amazing how many things I have been able to rationalize into "needing now" just to have it on hand for the happy time when I am able to finally get around to it.

If the time ever does come when I have the time, I am sure enough going to be ready! I couldn't sell it off- I would always regret missing out on all of the fun that I am storing up for later! 😎

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.