Common searches

Leaked Windows 9 screenshot

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 105, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I liked most new versions of Windows, but Windows 8 was the very first time that I refused to switch. The changes were not just extreme but made no sense. And the attitude MS displayed was shocking.

That head of Windows lady honestly said "We are trying to find out what customers mean when they say the want the start menu back". Showing a total disconnect with their customers...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 105, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me it's actually the taskbar that matters the most, not the start "menu".

Taskbar + Launcher (run/search by text, or voice if you wish -- not by pointing-and-clicking through menus).

Win7's snapping feature is also alright (winkey + arrow key).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 24 of 105, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

Uh yeah there are plenty of instances where I spend more time trying to find a file or program due to the new "libraries" thing

I don't really care for the "libraries" thing either, but there's nothing forcing me or anyone else to use it and it is easily ignored.

I don't mind it that much but it just suffers from the same issues vista had interface wise.

Such as..?

In addition I would say I'm probably better off in the long run anyhow using Linux because while using it I learn something new almost every day and wield it's power with greater and greater efficiency. Whereas on windows you do the same old boxed-in stuff you always did, you do not learn, you do not progress, you are simply a user riding on the top of a wave you feel like you are in control but are you really?

Or alternatively you can say that in Windows you're already wielding its "power" with maximal efficiency and are not obliged to learn anything in order to actually get on with the business of using your computer to do things.

I may be biased

Naaah.

Also I would like to add Linux is 100% backwards compatible, if something ran on the first instance of Linux it will run on the latest (provided you can get all the old packages and libraries).

Have you ever actually tried this much yourself? It's more like you need to get all the old packages and libraries, and all their old dependencies, and all of their old libraries and dependencies, and hopefully you don't break everything else in your system in the process. Really now, it's barely more flexible than Windows in that regard.

This is just my opinion though, we each have them but I think you'll come to agree with me in time.

"This is just my opinion, and it's better than yours."

Reply 25 of 105, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Listen Jorpho, I'm done defending linux to you. I am just saying I don't like windows 8 or 7 and I enjoy using linux. Some of you will agree some of you wont - that's it.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 26 of 105, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find libraries fantastic. Especially when I produce videos, it makes the workflow much easier.

Another great feature of 8.1 is file history. Basically an automated backup that runs in the background.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 27 of 105, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

How, exactly, can you tell the difference? Have you hit Winkey+Tab lately in Windows 7?

When the desktop looks like Windows 98 and has all the bugs and issues like trailing windows graphics associated with it.

I also don't use the winkey shortcuts, hell the only time I ever touch the winkey is if something locked up on me.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 28 of 105, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

I am just saying I don't like windows 8 or 7 and I enjoy using linux.

Yes, and you're also saying the rest of us do not learn, do not progress, and are simply users riding on the top of a wave who prefer not to drive. Woe be unto us wretches, for we shall lead humanity into the new dark age, doing the same old boxed-in stuff we always did! 😵

You're also saying Vista has insurmountable interface issues.

DracoNihil wrote:

I'm not dealing with Windows 8 or 9. I don't like being forced to use a window compositor. I want my desktop to be purely software rasterized, no exceptions.

How, exactly, can you tell the difference? Have you hit Winkey+Tab lately in Windows 7?

When the desktop looks like Windows 98 and has all the bugs and issues like trailing windows graphics associated with it.

But Windows 98 didn't use a "window compositor". And Windows 7 doesn't (necessarily) use a "software rasterized" desktop either – though you generally can't tell. (Winkey+Tab is pretty much the only obvious way.)

I also don't use the winkey shortcuts, hell the only time I ever touch the winkey is if something locked up on me.

...I wasn't even aware there was a good winkey shortcut for dealing with a locked program. Which one are you referring to?

I'd be lost without winkey+R for Run and winkey+E for Explorer.

Reply 29 of 105, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah vista sucks its a pretty well established and accepted fact, so does 8 imo and in quite a lot of peoples opinion. I don't like having to just work around things or "get used to" features I don't want. I also don't like how MS treats me like I'm a criminal all the time with all these verification things and such.
Also would you like to explain how you learn about the windows OS or progress your understanding about the way your system operates? Explain how you aren't just riding. It seemed pretty accurate to me.
I'm pretty sure he is talking about opening the start menu which often bops you to the desktop on windows systems and allows you to actually see the interface again so that you can close the application. I used to do that too when I didn't feel Ctrl + Alt + Del was necessary.

Reply 30 of 105, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

actually, that startmenu is not the same as windows 7.. We are missing: the all programs tabs.. They would even replace it for apps... So after all its still different..
A also heard that there wouldnt a register key als usual.. Now you just need to install windows 9 and needs to activate in the windows store.. When its activated you cant re-activated your re installing copy of windows 9..
First you need to reject it on the windows 9 store and then activate is again in the store.. I think its to complicated how to active / deactivate..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 31 of 105, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yeah vista sucks its a pretty well established and accepted fact, so does 8 imo and in quite a lot of peoples opinion.

So, you're just parroting everyone else's opinion? Fine, if you can't be bothered to name anything specific, I'm tired of trying to drag it out of you.

I don't like having to just work around things or "get used to" features I don't want.

So, in Windows you have to "work around things" and "'get used to' features you don't want", but in Linux you "learn something new almost every day" and "wield it's power with greater and greater efficiency". This is a matter of semantics.

Reply 32 of 105, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol you are very good at asking questions but you have no answers for me I guess huh?
How can I describe why I don't like something? It is a number of reasons many many small things and some large annoying thing none of which I can remember now because as I have stated before I've switched and I'm not going to go back just so I can figure out what those things were. I'll tell you one thing though I don't like the way the start menu is configured on Vista and 7.

No it is not a matter of semantics, if you would actually think about the words I'm saying that may help you get the meaning, under Linux I have ABSOLUTE control if I don't like something I can rearrange the whole operating system if I see fit. Under windows if I don't like something well I guess I'd better just get over it then shouldn't I? Such power to the user cannot be grasped quickly, it takes a while to realize Linux's full potential. Unlike windows I'm not just stuck on one plain of user level, as I learn to better use my system I can do anything I want with it I can think of as long as I have the know how.

Reply 33 of 105, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jorpho, not to demean anyone, but what you are doing is like trying to argue with a child, parroting what he has picked up else where and using non sequitur arguments and talking points. I have not seen this level of teen OS fanboyism for nearly a decade. Most reasonable people just use the OS that they see best fits their needs without needing to try tearing down the choice of others. It is just plain silly to say that there is nothing to learn about an OS and then display a shocking level of ignorance about that same OS. You have set a fruitless task for yourself.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 34 of 105, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well at any rate I'm done defending my points, if you recall I didn't even mention linux back at the beginning of this post when jorpho and stojke jumped on me for not hailing the greatness of windows. In fact if you look stojke made personal remarks saying people who don't enjoy windows 8 and it's interface are dull. Which admittedly is not a huge deal but I'm getting sick of Jorpho coming after me.

Reply 35 of 105, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@king_corduroy
I'd simply suggest you be a little more thoughtful around your phrasing, for example stating that "vista sucks its a pretty well established and accepted fact" is kinda provocative, because you can't prove any part of it. In the privacy of my own home I stand on my high horse shouting "Linux sucks" while throwing darts at a picture of a penguin, but I'm aware that quite a few internet users actually really like it. This thread is not about established and accepted facts, it's about opinions.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 36 of 105, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

I don't like having to just work around things or "get used to" features I don't want.

That's exactly how I feel about every Linux distro I've ever used. *shrugs*

King_Corduroy wrote:

Also would you like to explain how you learn about the windows OS or progress your understanding about the way your system operates?

The same way you learn about a Linux OS and "progress your understanding about the way your system operates". Reading reading reading, then tinker with it, then read some more.

Just because *you* don't know how, doesn't mean it can't be done.

King_Corduroy wrote:

Explain how you aren't just riding. It seemed pretty accurate to me.

If a non-nerd has Ubuntu on their system, and all they do is install apps from the Ubuntu app store, surf with Firefox, and play Candy Crush... Aren't they just "riding"?

The OS is irrelevant, really. You're trying to make your subjective preference into an objective truth, and that's simply never ever going to work.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 37 of 105, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Such power to the user cannot be grasped quickly, it takes a while to realize Linux's full potential. Unlike windows I'm not just stuck on one plain of user level, as I learn to better use my system I can do anything I want with it I can think of as long as I have the know how.

250px-South_Park_-_Sznobriad%C3%B3!.png

But seriously, it sounds like you have never met someone who's a serious Windows developer. Your opinions are based on childish generalisations and hubris.

Edit: You should know that nobody here is knocking you for liking Linux, or disliking Windows. What you're being called out on is fanboyism. We don't do that here. Hacking your OS to the n'th degree isn't the be-all-and-end-all of computing. Customisability isn't the objective singular measure of quality of an operating system, or indeed any kind of software. You're making fun of Windows, and being condescending toward people that use Windows, for not being something they aren't trying to be, and aren't interested in being.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 38 of 105, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

To be fair Vogons users are quick to label non Windows users as fanboys or to drag out old halftruths about Linux or OS X 😉
But I wonder where Corduroy comes from claiming there is a great software backwards compatibility in Linux. That's just not true. Linux has its very own dll hell which can be worse than Windows'.

Software relying on old outdated libs, libs not compatible with modern gcc. Software not compatible with old outdated libs one struggled to install to be able to install old outdated software...
Then you have to go on a big search trying to solve those compile problems leading through obscure mailing lists and holier than thou developer attitudes...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 39 of 105, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps I don't see it as I am a Windows user myself, but I have not particularly seen much anti Linux/Mac chauvinism here. I think it helps that there are a fair number of Linux and Mac users here. Many have to use more than one OS. Few here seem to proselytize their favorite flavor of OS. The most I have noticed is Windows users arguing about their favorite version of Windows or the version they dislike the most. Forum OS flame wars are something you used to see a decade or two ago, born of ignorance and usually on boards with a fair number of members in their teens.

Also, if Corduroy hates Windows so much, why is even following, let alone posting in a thread about the possible future of Windows. You would think that it would be of little interest for non Windows users.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers