VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

consider this, when lcd monitors first came out the wisdom was you need a response time of 25ms to avoid ghosting. ips panels now do 5ms (ok so some different panels can do 1ms)
its a bit like saying 90fps is slow because some other card can do 110fps.

i bet if you find out the response of your current lcd its worse than that of a new ips

And those original LCDs weren't impossible to use for gaming or video or anything either - magazines and whatnot do a very good job of making a mountain out of a mole hill. 😵

Reply 21 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlphaWing wrote:

Do any modern Samsung Monitors come with buttons for controls instead of the touchpad crap?

My business class 1920 x 1200 screen has buttons, my consumer class 1920 x 1080 has touch. But haven't encountered any issues. Are you sure it's safe to live in your area if radio signals turn on / off your monitor?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 22 of 24, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:
Soupdragon wrote:

I think what I want isn't for sale anymore, all 16:10 screens are IPS now so have poor response time. Thanks for help guys.

not true, response times on ips are fine, if what you want is available in ips i wouldnt be put off

Yes, many new/recently released IPS panels have 5ms GTG (grey-to-grey) response time (not including input/processing lag). Going with 16:10 limits your choice severely however (also more expensive), but you might want to look into EIZO EV2455 or EV2436W, reviewed here (Also near the end of the page, there's a good comparison chart to give you a good idea about the response times of modern IPS monitors -- worth a look):
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_ev2436w.htm

There's also EIZO Foris FS2333 which is even faster but it's 16:9 of course.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 23 of 24, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:
AlphaWing wrote:

Do any modern Samsung Monitors come with buttons for controls instead of the touchpad crap?

My business class 1920 x 1200 screen has buttons, my consumer class 1920 x 1080 has touch. But haven't encountered any issues. Are you sure it's safe to live in your area if radio signals turn on / off your monitor?

Yes Its perfectly safe 😁
I've lived around it all my life.
HR operators have legal rights to do what they do.
Electronics are supposed to be shielding themselves to meet and accept radio interference.
Thats what the FCC certification is for.
Samsung is cutting corners here, just to save a few penny's, its accepting the interference at the price of not operating correctly 😒 .
Models with buttons are the way to go for me 🤣.

I do want a 4k monitor sometime this year.. probably when they get cheap during the "infamous" Black Friday.
Maybe some sort of low latency VGA\Component\S-video capture card for my main PC to do all the scaling instead of relying on the screens hardware too.

Reply 24 of 24, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to own a Samsung 1680×1050 screen and it made a loud hum in standby mode. I had to turn it off when I wasn't using it, as it was annoying. I only owned it for a couple of years then gave it to my brother soon after it refused to turn on anymore.

Steam | World of Warcraft