VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 40, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can personally recommend Nokia 446 PRO 19". I'll also agree with Malvineous. Find a monitor with HSYNC capability of more than 100 kHz. The best ones support more than 120 kHz. Also, the video bandwidth figure is important for image quality. Over 200 MHz is pretty good. Too low bandwidth causes high resolutions / high refresh rates to become blurry.

For example, 1280x960 @ 100 Hz is convenient for a 19" monitor, and that requires ~102 kHz HSYNC and ~180 MHz bandwidth with standard video timings.

Another tip. Avoid Sonys. They have some design flaw that causes horizontal ghosting (sometimes temporarily), which is extremely distracting. I had two different Sony monitors back in the day and they both started doing it. I couldn't find an example picture of the ghosting artifact for the moment.

Reply 22 of 40, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ripa: I found as my VGA cable aged it would introduce ghosting at very high resolutions. Even a VGA to 5x BNC one started doing it after a few years, but I could wiggle it a bit to remove the ghosting for a while - I suspect it was rather cheaply made. Could it have been the cable rather than the Sony monitors at fault in your case?

Reply 23 of 40, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested several cables and different monitors and the common factor was always the Sony monitor(s). If I screwed the cable in tight and then wiggled the connector at the monitor end, the ghosting would sometimes go away for a while (and then return). I'm thinking the input board wasn't designed well and that heat or dust would affect some electrical parameters. This is of course extremely anecdotal and could be just bad luck, but I remember seeing the same problem with Sony monitors at other places like classrooms. Anyway, here's a picture of how severe the ghosting was:
ClNYAC2.jpg

Reply 24 of 40, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im happy with my Samsung SyncMaster 959NF 19" Trinton.

It supports 1920*1440 at 73 Hz, 1600*1200 at 87 Hz, 1280*1024 at 101 Hz and 1024*768 at 132 Hz. 800*600 (and lower) is supported at 160 Hz.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 26 of 40, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Somebody from finland is offering me a sony model, aint finland in the same voltage level as denmark?'
im just being very carefull with all this voltage regulation situation, some of you proberly understand that.

Reply 27 of 40, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Always look on the back to check, just in case the person from Finland wants to get rid of it because it came from the US 😉 Most monitors are universal though, capable of working from 90 to 240V, but always check on the back to be sure.

Reply 28 of 40, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also... transformers aren't that hard to come by. Maybe because Brazil is hectic about voltage (different regions of the contry use different voltages), but transformers are very easy to come by here.

Reply 33 of 40, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was my understanding that the difference between European 220 / 230 / 240V grids is just in rating. They're essentially the same.

Edit: also just about any monitor made since the early '90s is gonna be built to run on 100V-240V. Every VGA multisync I've ever seen is.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 34 of 40, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Norway, Sweden and Finland are not synchronous with the rest of Europe, nor is the UK. Moldova, the Ukraine, Belarus and the Baltic states are synchronous with Russia. Most of the rest of Europe is synchronous.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 35 of 40, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:
Darkman wrote:

the voltages in Denmark and Finland are 230v just like the rest of Europe.

The U.K is 240v

actually the UK is 230v, its Australia that has a 240v rating.

Although in this case there is no difference , it will work just fine.

Reply 36 of 40, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Darkman wrote:

Although in this case there is no difference , it will work just fine.

There is a difference of course, but 5% tolerance is standard. 240V and 230V should be compatible for any device.

Reply 38 of 40, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Double check the back panel before you plug it in. We're extrapolating on specs, and weird things happen.

Reply 39 of 40, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't know why would you want to use 16:9 resolutions on 4:3 monitor. Otherwise any "high" end monitor should work with 1920x1080.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs