VOGONS

PayPal takes your money

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks Germany and Italy are not affected by the new PayPal fee.

Reply 21 of 21, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-10-08, 21:18:

Add to that their commonly known scummy practices of currency conversion (which is set to allow PP to automatically steal... I mean "convert" the amount instead of letting the credit card do it, and they make it hard to find the way to change it).

Yeah, but you only need to do this once and then it stays.

TheMobRules wrote on 2020-10-08, 21:18:

Not to mention the incredibly convoluted way of calculating the fees of a transaction in their User Agreement, with percentages per country/region, fixed fees, international fees... why do I need to resort to dubious online fee calculators if I want to know what fees will apply when sending money?

The fees are only on the receiving end, though. If you only use Paypal as a means to buy things online, then it doesn't really matter. If you are sending money to someone not via an invoice, then just work it out with them. I used Paypal in the past to buy things from private people, and we usually agreed to some price +5% to cover all possible fees. Unless you are routinely transferring money in the amount of thousands of dollars, this is peanuts anyways.

Boohyaka wrote on 2020-10-08, 21:36:

So I always try to avoid PayPal when I can, and luckily most of individuals I've been dealing with are fine with bank transfers, so PayPal can go eat a bag of dicks.

Yes, when you are in the Single Euro Zone, it makes sense that bank transfer are preferred. For international transfers across continents dealing with bank systems can quickly become more complicated and more expensive than PayPal. Also there is a big difference between individuals and businesses. When buying from a seller online, that you don't know, PayPal does offer much more protection and leverage in case something goes wrong. Of course, as an individual small seller / receiver of money, PayPal is an inconvenience, unless you regularly use that account to buy stuff as well.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys