VOGONS

Common searches

Where to buy old games forum...

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut So I think I can safely say you probably never saw a commercial PC title that required you to (manually) make a custom boot disk mixing bits of your OS, BASIC, and various files from their floppy just so you can run their card game (notice that I didn't mention a hard drive?).

Hell no, me and my friend always needed to do bootdisks to get games running 'cause of low system specs, but no, I'm not that old that I've used a computer without a hdd.

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 22 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by [vEX] Hell no, me and my friend always needed to do bootdisks to get games running...

Except, of course, this wasn't a bootdisk to get a game working. You had to assemble the game onto floppy...by hand, to get it working. There was a time when that was considered acceptable. And no, I'm not talking about when there a problem, that was it's normal procedure for operation.

Fortunately, that's long gone.

Reply 23 of 29, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, I thought you said bootdisk, my bad.
Nope, I'm not that old and geeky 😜
Although I've got a Sinclair QL (missing video cable so I can't test it) that I got from a friend. He also gave me a Megadrive II and an Amiga 500 (which seems to have a broken floppydrive).
Plus I've got a broken C128 that I'd love to have fixed (and the of course turn the PC to a game database ;P). An old Game Boy (mono) which is getting pretty old, some vertical lines are dead.
The only thing that really works like it should is the good ol' NES 😁
Well, enough babling from me 🙄

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 24 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by [vEX] Nope, I'm not that old and geeky ...Well, enough babling from me 🙄

Ah... I see "good old days" syndrome already has it's claws embedded in you...soon you'll be telling kids, "You know, back in my day...we had to use these things called "floppy drives".

Reply 26 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover We already do. iSuck, therefore iMac.

All the Apple people did is "jump-the-gun". From what I hear, within the year, we'll be seeing commercial PC's without floppy drives.

Reply 27 of 29, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Worst Idea Ever. Diskette drives are still essential for lots of things, and CDs are often overkill for small files. For example, why would I wait 2 minutes for lead-in and lead-out on a CD for a 5kB text file when I could put it on a diskette in under a second? Also, you need a diskette drive for RAID drivers in the Windows NT/2K/XP installer.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 28 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and we need Boot from USB Standard on Mobo's before that happens...which it isn't.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline