This is a gamepad

p1050032_2.jpg

Reply 201 of 276, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nemesis wrote:

Stick with whatever you're used to whether it be a gamepad or mouse/keyboard, but I perfer the mouse/keyboard mix because the most skilled player with a mouse has a greater advantage than the most skilled player with a gamepad... I've seen the results myself. But again, it doesn't matter how good someone is with either one, stick with whatever you perfer.

Yup! No need to go on a flamingstreak about something as trivial as this 😉

I looked at some more video's on Youtube and I have to say that it's definitely a game for me (except for all the racing, that's not my thing).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 202 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Racing? There's no "racing." Driving, yes. But it isn't that bad. And isn't that long. The monster truck driving sequence is probably the longest part but it isn't any longer than any HL2 driving sequence. And the jumps are fun.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 203 of 276, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've always preferred keyboard and mouse for FPS games. But Deus Ex on the PS2 impressed me in the gamepad arena, despite its quirks. Now I'll be even more amazed if they did System Shock or System Shock 2.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 204 of 276, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it true that DNF begins with Duke pissing in the toilet and the actual game (after the tutorial) starts with the twins giving him a blowjob? One of the review sites says so...

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 205 of 276, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Is it true that DNF begins with Duke pissing in the toilet and the actual game (after the tutorial) starts with the twins giving him a blowjob? One of the review sites says so...

As for pissing into a urinal, yes, the BJ is implied and nothing nude other then the Holsom Twins are dressed in schoolgirl uniforms 😉

Also there is the turd burglar achievment at the beginning as well...

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 206 of 276, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BigBodZod wrote:

Also there is the turd burglar achievment at the beginning as well...

classy 😜

Reply 209 of 276, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I played it and it's fun. The one liners are hilarious and the game has a lot of pop cultural references. It ain't fantastic or flawless, but it's great so far 😀

Reply 210 of 276, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The arstechnica review put me right off, makes it sound like too many of the 3d-kind-of-fps-style games I tried over the past 5-10 years and didn't like, in too many ways.

Reply 212 of 276, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's just another case of Gearbox not giving enough money to reviewers. I say fuck them, play it for what it's worth and see for yourself that it's a good game. The arstechnica review feels as if the reviewer didn't play the game for more than 20 minutes and ended up saying stuff that he read on other reviews.

Reply 213 of 276, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the game was made on a nearly broke budget, so they probably didn't have any money left over for the 'bribe press' bits like today's games.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 214 of 276, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really like the final paragraph in Gamespot :

Gamespot wrote:

Given its storied development history, you might be inclined to grab a copy of this train wreck. Avoid the temptation. While much of Duke Nukem Forever is embarrassingly bad--the kind of game you point and laugh at--its biggest problem is that it's so tedious. Twisting valves, jumping on pipes and alien tentacles, driving through drab canyons, rolling alien spheres along the ground: this is what Duke Nukem Forever is about. It's not about shooting aliens, and it certainly isn't about fun. This game takes an icon and turns him into a laughingstock. Except, no one's laughing.

Ars Technica wrote:

In the first few moments of Duke Nukem Forever, your character pees in a urinal and then earns an achievement for reaching into a toilet and extracting a piece of human excrement. Why does the game reward you for doing this? I have no idea. It's not part of a joke or important to the story; the designers of the game apparently feel that you would miss out by not holding some poo in your virtual hand.

And also this :

Ars Technica wrote:

There's a feeling among some fans of Duke Nukem that anyone who dares to give a bad review to a Duke title simply doesn't understand what the game is trying to do. We need to relax, goes the argument, relax enough to laugh at the rampant misogyny and hateful stereotypes on display throughout the game. If a review suggests that it's not funny simply to hear someone use dirty words, that's the reviewer's failing, not an issue with the game. Any hint that constant jokes about penis size aren't the height of comedy? The reviewer must not have a sense of humor.

We all loved DN3D but we can't say the same for DNF. Even ArsTechnica liked the DN3D :

ArsTechnica wrote:

The opening of Duke Nukem 3D was iconic. Within seconds of launching the game, you found yourself in exciting combat within an impressively interactive world. You could show a film on the screen inside a movie theater and find hidden rooms and weapons. The game rewarded you for exploring, and the shooting itself was satisfying. The whole experience had little padding to it, and the "mature" elements of the game added flavor to what was already a wonderful game. If impressive level design was the cake, paying strippers was the icing.

I might also play DNF one day, but only when it hits the 2.99 or 4.99 budget range or if it's bundled free with other game collection. Or maybe not at all. 🤣

My buddy first pointed out the Ars Technica review of DN3D. We were and still are good fans of the original Duke Nukem 3D, but not DNF. (We still play Duke Nukem 3D via Hamachi).

We (my best buddy and I) can't bring ourselves to like Duke Nukem Forever, just because this is another Duke game.

For now, as for Duke Nukem, we'll still be playing DN3D via Hamachi and fan made mods.

Down with corporate mentality. You'd think that 2K Games and Gearbox Software have finally accumulated all the hardwork done by numerous project groups for these 14 years and released it. But NO, sir. It was pushed out too fast with the name "Forever" tacked behind it for publicity stunt.

2K Games made a big gamble when taking up this project. In fact, it might even have worked and made it hit a jackpot with the fans' money, if all the fans jumped into buying the game because it is "Duke Nukem" game, and it is "Forever".

But not all fans are suckers. 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 217 of 276, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I liked Phantom Menace though, but I liked II and III more I think. II and III and quite spectacular and the visual effects were fabulous! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 218 of 276, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

2K Games made a big gamble when taking up this project. In fact, it might even have worked and made it hit a jackpot with the fans' money, if all the fans jumped into buying the game because it is "Duke Nukem" game, and it is "Forever".

A big gamble? Hardly! They're still going to make more money than they would have otherwise.

I totally called this on page 1.

Jorpho wrote:

The name is too famous for it to be left alone. A generic boring FPS that would otherwise go unnoticed will sell a lot more copies with the DNF name.

Reply 219 of 276, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Half those reviews are total hacks. Just because they were expecting it to be like any other FPS today which are loaded with combat arena after combat arena separated by cutscenes doesn't mean that actual puzzles in a Duke game are a bad thing. That's a good thing to me. I really enjoyed it. Screw reviewers. Everything they say that was a bad thing about the game I actually enjoyed. And that's not a fanboy response. I was disappointed with the game ultimately, but not due to its single player experience.

DNF is a classic FPS that is definitely fun and critics don't like classic or fun. They called everything tedious....how is any FPS game nowadays NOT tedious??

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.