VOGONS

Common searches

Leak of Windows 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 240 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anything is insecure to a sledge hammer.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 241 of 316, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-26, 13:06:

Using XP today is a security nightmare.

Yes, but it's still commonly used in so-called "third world".

not really
https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-version-ma … re/desktop/chad
https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-version-ma … frican-republic
https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-version-ma … op/sierra-leone
https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-version-ma … desktop/somalia
https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-version-ma … desktop/lesotho

Reply 242 of 316, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11- … purpose-systems

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 245 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmmm https://www.ghacks.net/2020/07/01/critical-wi … -10-and-server/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2020 … -million-users/

But wait, there's more....😉

Reply 246 of 316, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a new article on Windows 11 on hackaday.com: https://hackaday.com/2021/06/29/the-great-win … comment-6360500

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 247 of 316, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just received an email about the W11 Insider Preview access.

Deleted it, since I have zero interest.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 248 of 316, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i will upgrade from windows 10 if they fix:

bluetooth: sometimes is a nightmare to connect a headphone, i have a hard time with mi buds

the constants popups: every time you connnect something with multiple partitions you have to close manually all the notifications one by one, they dont show all at the same time

half the times im doing something and something else finish a task in the background it pops its own window in front of what im doing, ITS ANNOYING!!!

tabs for the explorer: i cant believe its no a thing since windows vista

i will edit if i remember more

Reply 249 of 316, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One worrying* thing: the taskbar redesign actually goes pretty deep. It isn't just centered icons. You can no longer move the taskbar or ungroup icons. It's also not possible to change taskbar size without registry editing. I haven't been able to confirm, but two posts also mentioned problems getting the taskbar to display multiple rows. The registry edit to show seconds in the clock supposedly isn't working any longer either.

* There will be hacks to fix all of this before Windows 11 is replaced, but you know, it's not good to rely on hacks for the shell... not that it hasn't been required since Windows screwed up the start menu in Windows 7. That's a bit off-topic but I always found that fascinating. People hate UI changes and especially start menu changes, but the Windows release that removed the start menu that had been used since Windows 95 got basically no flak for it..

Unrelated, they're at least finally adding more icons to the context menu rather than just leaving empty spaces. The new context menu is terrible, but at least that part's a good idea.

Jo22 wrote on 2021-06-29, 15:47:

There's a new article on Windows 11 on hackaday.com: https://hackaday.com/2021/06/29/the-great-win … comment-6360500

Sensationalist garbage.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-26, 14:23:

When my wife, who is tech savvy, uses her MickySoft Windows 10 laptop she has a tendency to swear at it a lot...😉

MickySoft = I'm extremely biased, nothing I say can be taken seriously. That said most people swear at their laptops. It rarely has anything to do with the OS, but I suspect you'll make something up.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-26, 09:56:
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-26, 09:32:

I hope his IT guy laughed him out of the room.

For internet related stuff my bro uses his cell phone so that is not an issue at all... 😀

Believe it or not some IT folk actually listen to their customers.. 😀

I do too. You want to use the exact same password for everything, including access to sensitive information? I'll tell you why it's a horrible idea then help you with it. That the IT guy will help with it doesn't mean it's a sane idea.

Reply 250 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:00:
One worrying* thing: the taskbar redesign actually goes pretty deep. It isn't just centered icons. You can no longer move the ta […]
Show full quote

One worrying* thing: the taskbar redesign actually goes pretty deep. It isn't just centered icons. You can no longer move the taskbar or ungroup icons. It's also not possible to change taskbar size without registry editing. I haven't been able to confirm, but two posts also mentioned problems getting the taskbar to display multiple rows. The registry edit to show seconds in the clock supposedly isn't working any longer either.

* There will be hacks to fix all of this before Windows 11 is replaced, but you know, it's not good to rely on hacks for the shell... not that it hasn't been required since Windows screwed up the start menu in Windows 7. That's a bit off-topic but I always found that fascinating. People hate UI changes and especially start menu changes, but the Windows release that removed the start menu that had been used since Windows 95 got basically no flak for it..

Unrelated, they're at least finally adding more icons to the context menu rather than just leaving empty spaces. The new context menu is terrible, but at least that part's a good idea.

Jo22 wrote on 2021-06-29, 15:47:

Sensationalist garbage.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-26, 14:23:

When my wife, who is tech savvy, uses her MickySoft Windows 10 laptop she has a tendency to swear at it a lot...😉

MickySoft = I'm extremely biased, nothing I say can be taken seriously. That said most people swear at their laptops. It rarely has anything to do with the OS, but I suspect you'll make something up.

xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-26, 09:32:

I hope his IT guy laughed him out of the room.

For internet related stuff my bro uses his cell phone so that is not an issue at all... 😀

I do too. You want to use the exact same password for everything, including access to sensitive information? I'll tell you why it's a horrible idea then help you with it. That the IT guy will help with it doesn't mean it's a sane idea.

I think you missed the but about my bros XP system NOT having access to the internet.

You see ye olde operating systems and applications do not just stop doing what they where designed to do a decade or two earlier. Unllike modren "rented" software.....

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-06-30, 19:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 251 of 316, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

Sensationalist garbage.

And yet, my top of the line (at the time) ~5 years old system is not enough for Windows 11 !
I have Secure Boot, TPM, and everything else...

Is it the CPU that's too old ( Intel Core i7 6700K ) ?
It shouldn't be...

The thing is, their app doesn't tell you.

Fuck it, I'll install Linux then.

Reply 252 of 316, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:17:

I think you missed the but about my bros XP system NOT having access to the internet.

Still a shit idea, because of data security. People who need IT guys can't do anything but the simplest of backups and that's where cloud storage providers shine.

xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:21:
ZellSF wrote:

Sensationalist garbage.

And yet, my ~5 years old system is not enough for Windows 11 !

Sensationalist doesn't mean that everything is untrue. It means, let's just go with the dictionary definition here: that the article is intended to provoke public interest or excitement, at the expense of accuracy. Words like "extinction" and "crisis" are more meant to provoke than portray anything accurately.

Reply 254 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:25:
Still a shit idea, because of data security. People who need IT guys can't do anything but the simplest of backups and that's wh […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:17:

Still a shit idea, because of data security. People who need IT guys can't do anything but the simplest of backups and that's where cloud storage providers shine.

xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:21:
ZellSF wrote:

Sensationalist garbage.

And yet, my ~5 years old system is not enough for Windows 11 !

Sensationalist doesn't mean that everything is untrue. It means, let's just go with the dictionary definition here: that the article is intended to provoke public interest or excitement, at the expense of accuracy. Words like "extinction" and "crisis" are more meant to provoke than portray anything accurately.

Suposedly linux along with Xwindows are ment to need gigbytes of ram to operate. Tell my P200MMX that.

Some folk just don't have a clue:

Attachments

• 20210629_111256.jpg
    Filename
    20210629_111256.jpg
    File size
    677.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 257 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:30:

I hear linux? Can I recommend Ubuntu 20.10? 😛

You called sir...? 😉

Linux Mint Debian Edition runs fine on my two HT P4s. I'm typing this from my desktop system.

With linux you can alter your DE to suite. With Windows 10 it' one size fuits all.

You can even have those initiative curved corner things if you so desire. Oh, and games believe it or not :

Attachments

• 20210630_001553.jpg
    Filename
    20210630_001553.jpg
    File size
    793.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-06-30, 19:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 259 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-30, 19:37:

That has nothing to do with the post you quoted.

Go reread the post you quoted that I originally posted my friend....