Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 6044, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After the recent controversy over GTA V here in the AU, I was inspired to play some GTA. Not for the first time I tried to get into GTA IV but it just doesn’t do it for me. It’s an amazing world, but it’s just too realistic / serious / mean spirited or something. And the gameplay is sluggish; it feels like Niko’s running / driving under water.

So I pulled out the P4 for some Vice City – one of my all-time favourites and the best GTA by far IMHO – only to discover that the HDD had died and lost my saves. I put a new HDD in and have started from scratch, ~15 hours behind where I was but I don’t care. It’s just such a freaking fun game.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 262 of 6044, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unreal, though the game seems to be populated by this "clan" of Spanish speaking players that seem to like to insult anybody who speaks English, oh and they put forth zero effort to play nice with you.

I wish all the good players didn't leave.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 263 of 6044, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

After the recent controversy over GTA V here in the AU, I was inspired to play some GTA. Not for the first time I tried to get into GTA IV but it just doesn’t do it for me. It’s an amazing world, but it’s just too realistic / serious / mean spirited or something. And the gameplay is sluggish; it feels like Niko’s running / driving under water.

So I pulled out the P4 for some Vice City – one of my all-time favourites and the best GTA by far IMHO – only to discover that the HDD had died and lost my saves. I put a new HDD in and have started from scratch, ~15 hours behind where I was but I don’t care. It’s just such a freaking fun game.

Yeah I agree, the game just lacks atmosphere. The city is amazing, the car physics are great and with the realistic handeling mod or the 1988 New York car pack the game is wonderful for driving but the story is boring. Niko comes off as a mouthy prick and his brother is a useless whiney little assface not to mention EVERY character is forgettable and this is most likely due to Niko's aloofness. He doesn't really relate or connect to anyone in the game, he feels totally abstract in a world of grey concrete and senseless violence. Even the humour in the game that usually comes across strong in GTA games is totally lackluster and the radiostations are much too short and once again lack anything really humorous, I mean sure there were a couple of times I chuckled but nothing like GTA:SA or GTA Vice city. Also I think the inclusion of cellphones cheapens the whole experience, it just feels like an advert for cellphones even though no specific brand is mentioned (Maybe that's just because I refuse to buy a cellphone though). Also the constant nagging phonecalls make me wish I could just chuck the damn thing out the window while driving around the city. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 264 of 6044, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Midtown Madness 2.

2ChKw4vl.png FrWU9ALl.png

I harbor a secret desire to drive like a crazed maniac on city streets (but also know the consequences 😵 ); to satisfy it, I run amok in this game instead. And no matter how many times I play it over and over, I just keep coming back for more - one of the few games I can never get enough of (evil maniacal laughter ensues 😈 😁 🤣 ).

It also looks very nice in widescreen mode:

9oXhw66l.png rT7C56Il.png

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to go back and run over some more cars, trucks, trees, pedestrians, signs, etc. 😊

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 265 of 6044, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
Midtown Madness 2. […]
Show full quote

Midtown Madness 2.

2ChKw4vl.png FrWU9ALl.png

I harbor a secret desire to drive like a crazed maniac on city streets (but also know the consequences 😵 ); to satisfy it, I run amok in this game instead. And no matter how many times I play it over and over, I just keep coming back for more - one of the few games I can never get enough of (evil maniacal laughter ensues 😈 😁 🤣 ).

It also looks very nice in widescreen mode:

9oXhw66l.png rT7C56Il.png

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to go back and run over some more cars, trucks, trees, pedestrians, signs, etc. 😊

If you've ever tried to drive like a 'normal' person in London in that game, you'll soon realise that the traffic lights are situated on the wrong side of the road.. What an oversight!! Haha.

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 266 of 6044, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Interesting bit of info Blurredman, thanks. That's one more reason for me to drive like a crazed maniac (and yes I do try to take out the traffic lights, just to make an even bigger mess on the streets! 😁 🤣 ).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 268 of 6044, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last couple of months have been really hectic at work for me and I'm on leave till new year now.
Had a day with my amiga, playing mainly Turrican 2, Superfrog and Ruff'n'Tumble.

Ruff'n'Tumble has amazing graphics for an amiga 500 but suffers from jerky scrolling and frame rate drops. If you can deal with that its a great game.

Superfrog is a cool game, graphics are nice and scrolling is much smoother, although some of the physics can feel a bit funny sometimes.

Not much to say about Turrican 2, probably one of the most popular games on the Amiga. I've finished the first one a few times but the second one seems a bit harder, to me at least. I haven't managed to get past the first level. Also the bounce weapon is hot garbage. At this point I like the first one better but I'm not going to give up on it yet.

On my to do list over the christmas break is to look at my breadbin C64's and get them working...

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 269 of 6044, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ T2 is a great game, don't give it up DK! I've finished many times the PC version, it's just great. Also T3 is good, use a 2-button pad if you can.

Currently I am playing Dragon Age Inquisition on the PS4, very nice game.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 271 of 6044, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just found a copy of the Gold edition of AOE II in the box yesterday. Sort of a meh game for me though, never was as fascinating as the original AOE.

Reply 273 of 6044, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been playing Half-Life again after watching an episode from The Examined Life of Gaming talking about how good the first game really is compared to the often praised second game. Have to agree with Roland on this one, the first game really was something that the second game, while still a pretty good game, was not. Never could put into words what felt off about 2 when I played it but he explained it better than I could.

Also been playing random Xbox 1 titles since I got a working DVD drive for it a few months ago, taking advantage of the softmod job a friend did a while ago and utilizing HDD installs for the games to make them work a bit better. Biggest title is Splinter Cell since it is the only way for me to play the classic trilogy, namely the first two without any serious issues.

Reply 274 of 6044, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

On my to do list over the christmas break is to look at my breadbin C64's and get them working...

Keep us updated on the C64's - I'm particularly interested in what you do re a reliable PSU. Building one with modern components has been on my to-do list for a while now.

Reply 276 of 6044, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been playing Warcraft Orcs and Humans, I was always a fan of Warcraft II but never took time to play the older one. I have to say despite the completely useless AI, horrid pathfinding and having to use keyboard shortcuts for everything (clicking on icons to move soldiers and telling them to attack takes way too long. Much easier to just hit M or A.) it really is an awesome game. I love everything about it, especially the dungeon sections! It just reminds me so much of playing D&D when I was a kid. 🤣

Reply 278 of 6044, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been having a blast playing System Shock recently. The last time I played it was in the 90s so I was limited to the low-res modes and FM music.

This time I wanted to experience in high-res mode, so I'm playing it on a Socket A machine. This has enough grunt for 640x480 and I also have great music courtesy of a DB50XG hooked up to a Diamond MX300. All seems to work fine under Win98, video card is a Geforce3 hooked up via DVI. With a couple of tweaks the game will load audio from the hard drive, which removes any pauses while the CD drive spins up.

0T953UIl.jpg
Iy1jumpl.jpg
mlxgEY1l.jpg

Reply 279 of 6044, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great game! The opening tune rocks and is probably the only part of the game that's better in the floppy version, because there's no voice over.