Common searches

windows8

Topic actions

Reply 281 of 321, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ what is this? the start menu overlays the tiles on classic desktop?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 283 of 321, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

start button is back 😉
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_e … d&v=YTR8_-UVmHc
they even hired clappers 😉

It still looks like an enormous clusterhump to me.

Reply 285 of 321, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was looking forward to the start button, but then they didn't include the start menu. I don't think they really understood their customer complaints 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 286 of 321, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I was looking forward to the start button, but then they didn't include the start menu. I don't think they really understood their customer complaints 😀

I was looking forward to being able to boot to an actual desktop with icons, not the Metro interface overlaid on top of a wallpaper pretending to be a desktop.

Reply 287 of 321, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was looking forward to win8 but when they came I started looking backwards to 7 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 288 of 321, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is Microsoft thinking that the customers are idiots who will jump with joy looking at the word "Start" floating somewhere on the Phone OS....err....desktop? Wait, there's no desktop in the first place...hmmmm.....

I'm not a fan of Apple or MacOS, but I think the OSX users will be watching with amusement, the "Metro" Circus Show(tm) Microsoft is running with their (so called) Windows 8.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 289 of 321, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I feel that inside Microsoft things are out of control. Windows 8 and Xbox One have no clear direction and many features just totally tick people off.

My YouTube channel

Reply 290 of 321, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wouldn't it have been as simple as just allowing users to select either Metro or Desktop mode? As in right-click->Personalize->unclick "Metro"? Or is there something fundamental to W8 that makes this more difficult than it sounds?

What I find hard to understand is what is driving the 'across the board' re-make of Windows. Metro 8 looks like it might have found it's place as a sub-category OS; light and breezy for casual users on the run. But why drag everyone along in the process? Do they foresee a time in the near future where the work-a-day computer grind will be more of a surf the net at the coffee house than the dry mouse/KB fest that it is? Or is it that they just don't feel the new fit and finish of Metro 8 *is* much of a practical barrier to just getting things done?

I've had only limited exposure to Metro so I can't talk about any of the good things it may bring to the table - but from a purely Workplace/Gaming point of view I'm puzzled - and who would have thought working and gaming would be ever lumped into the same category.

Metro 8 users should chime in...

Reply 291 of 321, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

Wouldn't it have been as simple as just allowing users to select either Metro or Desktop mode? As in right-click->Personalize->unclick "Metro"? Or is there something fundamental to W8 that makes this more difficult than it sounds?

Becasue doing so, will shows to the world that "Metro Interface" are hugely pointless, as most will very likely choose the desktop interface instead.
And thats are a big "No-No" from business perspectives, and the Metro Pushers know this in advance.

-fffuuu

Reply 294 of 321, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

(Found amongst the comments on this massive pile of hogwash)

OH NOES. SOMEBODY HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION TO TELVM. STOP THE PRESS!!!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 295 of 321, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let me just say that the metro interface is much faster and more useful than the classic Start menu. If you take the time to organize and remove the chaff you don't want from it, it actually makes more sense than the old Start button.

However I don't think most people ever give it a chance and rather they run right to install 3rd party tools to bring the clunky Start Menu back before they even gave the new one a shot.

To each their own though.

I'm not surprised to find Penny Arcade has this opinion of Win 8, they usually have terrible opinions about tech.

Reply 296 of 321, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

W7: Press the Start button - Type in what you're after - press enter - done

W8: Press the Start button - Type in what you're after - doesn't find it - move mouse to the right side - change from Apps to documents - now it finds it...

My YouTube channel

Reply 297 of 321, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

W7: Press the Start button - Type in what you're after - press enter - done

W8: Press the Start button - Type in what you're after - doesn't find it - move mouse to the right side - change from Apps to documents - now it finds it...

Uh oh, they broke the search? I love the search! It's the best thing about 7 IMHO.

But it's interesting because not one of my family / friends who I've talked to who use Windows 7 knows about the search function - they're still scanning through their start menus looking for what they want.

Perhaps MS should have just replaced the whole desktop / start menu with with a huge search dialog. That would work for me.

Reply 298 of 321, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmofo wrote:

I love the search! It's the best thing about 7 IMHO.

Same here. The more I can do straight from the keyboard, the happier I am.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]