VOGONS

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 340 of 6060, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On the NOT SO retro side, been really into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl now that I got it to run smoother on my current desktop (Had stuttering issues for some reason), and having the gunplay finally click with me after giving up in frustration the last few times I played it. Really is a flawed, but great atmospheric gexperience and it becomes even more atmospheric when you use The Weather Overhaul mod.

On the retro side of things, got myself a Nintendo 64 to finally see what I have been missing when I was primarily a Sony kid back when it was still cutting edge in the console world. I played games on an emulator before, but even then I knew the real hardware was necessary to get the full experience thanks to graphic glitches and other oddities (Most of these happening in Rareware titles, strangely enough). Anyways, been playing Perfect Dark and Jet Force Gemini on that and those games are just plain awesome. REALLY love Jet Force Gemini, it was somewhat of a blind purchase since that was a Rare game I never tried in any way and I am glad I did. It is a really fun third person action game with the usual quality Rare emitted during that time. Perfect Dark, don't really need to say more outside of it being Goldeneye... but with more stuff to make it even better.

Reply 341 of 6060, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpooferJahk wrote:

On the NOT SO retro side, been really into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl now that I got it to run smoother on my current desktop (Had stuttering issues for some reason), and having the gunplay finally click with me after giving up in frustration the last few times I played it. Really is a flawed, but great atmospheric gexperience and it becomes even more atmospheric when you use The Weather Overhaul mod.

I've played through all three official games, and I am currently making my way through the unofficcial game 'Lost Alpha'. I've not got far into it. It's a game that requires you to be alone in the house to enjoy and sink into the atmosphere. But, it is very hardware intense too. And got forbid those damn loading times if you die! 🤣

Yes, the gun mechanics take a while to get used to.. But you won't lose if you always aim for the head.. The bodies of enemy men seem to take 100 hits, but just 1 good one to the head and they're down.. Once I knew where to shoot it got A LOT easier 😊 😊

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 342 of 6060, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished Extra GP and got Crinale and Angelus on Ridge Racer V. Darn, the Rivelta Crinale aka Devil 13 on this game has to be one of the most fun cars to drive the series has ever seen..!

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 343 of 6060, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Blurredman wrote:
SpooferJahk wrote:

I've played through all three official games, and I am currently making my way through the unofficcial game 'Lost Alpha'. I've not got far into it. It's a game that requires you to be alone in the house to enjoy and sink into the atmosphere. But, it is very hardware intense too. And got forbid those damn loading times if you die! 🤣

Yes, the gun mechanics take a while to get used to.. But you won't lose if you always aim for the head.. The bodies of enemy men seem to take 100 hits, but just 1 good one to the head and they're down.. Once I knew where to shoot it got A LOT easier 😊 😊

On my side I shoot them in the hip or general torso to get them to stagger and THEN get the head if possible, seems to work very well doing that.

Reply 344 of 6060, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Blurredman wrote:

Gunman chronicles

If you have the retail cd (not steam version) you may have trouble running it on a modern p.c

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 345 of 6060, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unreal - Return to NaPali 😀

Reply 346 of 6060, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
Blurredman wrote:

Gunman chronicles

If you have the retail cd (not steam version) you may have trouble running it on a modern p.c

This wouldn't be a retro computer forum if the users didn't have at least one retro PC, on which to play their old games 😊 Yes, it is the retail box release that is in the same vein asphetically as the HL1 trilogy of games..

It works fine on the system my HL1 runs on, which is a Duron 1800, Soltek SL-75KAV/-X mainboard, voodoo 3 2000 and win98se. 😎

When I bring home old games that are new to me, I don't even bother trying to get them to work on my main everyday PC, I install them straight onto a system that is particular to that era game. 😀

Anyway, what sort of problems become of using it on a modern system? I've not played it, but it looks just about identical bar a few things to the engine of HL1, and that does actually work on my main pc fine. 😐

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 347 of 6060, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

pollQY2.jpg

Edit: win98 compatability fixed it - DOH.....

Reply 348 of 6060, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish Gunman was released on Steam so it runs on the newer GoldSrc release they have.

I've been playing (read messing around) with ThieveryUT lately.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 349 of 6060, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is on steam, but it doesn't support GoldSrc

Reply 350 of 6060, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’m currently playing the PC version of GTA 5. I was dubious after GTA 4, which I found to be dull, mean spirited, and just a bad port with uncomfortable controls and poor performance. But so far, GTA 5 has been a very pleasant surprise. It looks ridiculously good and the world is more alive than ever, but more importantly Rockstar have gotten their sense of fun back. The characters are likeable and the dialog is often 🤣 funny. The controls are intuitive, driving’s fun again, and it feels like a game made for the PC. The first person perspective is also a huge win, although I only use it when on foot – for driving I still prefer the chase cam.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 351 of 6060, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

I’m currently playing the PC version of GTA 5. I was dubious after GTA 4, which I found to be dull, mean spirited, and just a bad port with uncomfortable controls and poor performance. But so far, GTA 5 has been a very pleasant surprise. It looks ridiculously good and the world is more alive than ever, but more importantly Rockstar have gotten their sense of fun back. The characters are likeable and the dialog is often 🤣 funny. The controls are intuitive, driving’s fun again, and it feels like a game made for the PC. The first person perspective is also a huge win, although I only use it when on foot – for driving I still prefer the chase cam.

Thanks for the positive comments on GTA 5. Been thinking of picking it up 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 352 of 6060, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doing a play through of a largely overlooked RTS called Earth 2140 right now since I now have a proper boxed copy again. 😁

You can watch me play through the missions one by one here on my youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEXAQioOaLU&l … 5pYj3XvGHg4iq5O

Right now I'm doing the UCS missions but I intend to beat this 100% since I never had in the past. Also note that this is the proper 90's DOS / Windows 95 version and is challenging as such unlike the modern "port" of it to the NT based versions of Windows which is horribly broken.

Also I just found a new mic that sounds 1000x better than the one I used for these first videos so expect the rest of my play-throughs to sound much less tinny. 🤣

Here are some pictures of the box:

s1270002_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8q69e6.jpg

s1270003_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8q69du.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 353 of 6060, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MechAssault. Finished the second one for the third time for a review, now it's onto the first since I finally got an original Xbox. Pretty fun game so far, but it can be frustratingly unfair sometimes 😒

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 354 of 6060, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Thanks for the positive comments on GTA 5. Been thinking of picking it up 😀

Not a console gamer, but I've got GTA 5 for both, PS3 and PS4, and the game is awesome. Personally this is a game I prefer on the console, on a big screen with surround sound. But not everyone plays on a console, so it's good to see that the PC version is finally out.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 355 of 6060, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wish I could say I'm playing GTA5 too. But no, I'm stuck downloading this mandatory 5GB patch. It got up to 3GB after downloading for two days straight... then just now the connection failed and it has to start all over again... 🙁

Reply 356 of 6060, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

Wish I could say I'm playing GTA5 too. But no, I'm stuck downloading this mandatory 5GB patch. It got up to 3GB after downloading for two days straight... then just now the connection failed and it has to start all over again... 🙁

Bummer dude. I had it pre-loaded so it only took about an hour or so to update / unpack, and then another 15 mins or so messing around with the social club nonsense. And then another 30 mins downloading the latest Nvidia driver, and then... I think I was in!

I'm really happy with my recently purchased GTX 960 - it was handling 1080P with high settings @ a pretty consistent 60FPS (MSAA off though). There was some lagging while driving at speed through the city - nothing major but noticeable. My WD Caviar Black was working pretty hard, and I wondered if having a SDD would help with the lag. So off I went and bought a 250GB Samsung EVA, but somehow during the install I managed to kill both of my mechanical drives - the Caviar and my older but much loved Velociraptor. And by kill I mean they won't even spin up, tried on multiple machines.

That was Friday night, here I sit on Sunday morning and I'm still at 80% of re-downloading GTA 5 😠 On the plus side I've been forced to re-install Windows 7 on the SDD - my only working HDD now - and it's amazingly fast and of course dead silent. Being only 250GB though it's not going to be big enough, I think I'll need another one 😊

Reply 357 of 6060, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aaand there's your 1337th post! Only a few days after mine 😀

badmojo wrote:

Bummer dude. I had it pre-loaded so it only took about an hour or so to update / unpack, and then another 15 mins or so messing around with the social club nonsense. And then another 30 mins downloading the latest Nvidia driver, and then... I think I was in!

I've canceled the download now, there's not much point in even trying with my slow connection... Think I'll drop by a friend tomorrow, see if I can copy the "update" folder from his GTA install. No idea if that's going to work, but hey, you never know until you've tried. If that fails I could always bring my whole PC over to his place to install this patch.

badmojo wrote:

I'm really happy with my recently purchased GTX 960 - it was handling 1080P with high settings @ a pretty consistent 60FPS (MSAA off though). There was some lagging while driving at speed through the city - nothing major but noticeable. My WD Caviar Black was working pretty hard, and I wondered if having a SDD would help with the lag. So off I went and bought a 250GB Samsung EVA, but somehow during the install I managed to kill both of my mechanical drives - the Caviar and my older but much loved Velociraptor. And by kill I mean they won't even spin up, tried on multiple machines.

Ouch. Hope you didn't have any important files on there. That said, I'm running a 3TB Seagate as main storage right now... THE infamous 3TB Seagate.

And I'm curious to see what this GTX 780 would do in GTA5. Kinda hoping it's around 100+ fps. I only play games in 1024x768 so that might help a bit already.

Reply 358 of 6060, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't be surprised if copying the update folder worked, Steam seems to be pretty adaptable. I moved my entire Steam folder b/w downloading the pre-load and unpacking, and it worked fine.

Nar I didn't lose anything critical, I've been motivated to back things up after someone attempted to break into our house a while back. Re-installing everything is a pain, but I was probably due for a fresh install anyway. I just can't believe I killed 2 hard drives - what a 'tard.

The GTX 780 should rock GTA 5, it seems very well optimised so at 1024x768 you should be able to crank it. I'd only just scratched the surface but it seems like an awesome game, you can feel Rockstar's massive budget in every part of it - it's such a slick experience. It made me feel like a millionaire just playing it! I hope you get it up and running soon.

Reply 359 of 6060, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It worked! Had to copy the update folder and GTA5.exe, and the game started right away. This is on the CD version by the way, which is Steam-free.

And it runs really well on the 780. Nearly everything maxed out except resolution, and it's still very smooth. Probably not 100fps all the time but definitely around 60. Also noticed this game uses DirectSound, so I enabled ALchemy for it. Not sure if that was necessary, but 3D positioning sounds pretty accurate now.