Topic actions

Reply 40 of 532, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
# Far Cry 2, I'm amazed how I could finish that game with it's crappy gameplay with constant respawning enemies. But the scenery […]
Show full quote

# Far Cry 2, I'm amazed how I could finish that game with it's crappy gameplay with constant respawning enemies.
But the scenery and freedom to finish the missions in any maner you like kep me playing it to the end.

# Mafia 2, the first game was quite hard imho and you couldn't finish it in one day...with Mafia 2 you can and it's dead simple...too bad when the gfx are gorgeous.

# Pinball Dreams 2, I've been a Pinball Dreams, Fantasies etc fan since my Amiga days but what can I say about the crappy sequel to PD 2? and the poor PC port of PD 1... 😵

Amigaz, there is a revision of that game. That fixes some of the flaws in PD1.

Really? where can I get it?

I own both the floppy version (with Roland sound support) and the later CD "enhanced" version with other PD, PF games on it but didn't know they made a later patch...

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 41 of 532, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@swaaye

Not really a pinball freak but the DI made Pinball games had a certain feel, awesome music.

Those games you point to look too err.."modern" and realistic looking 😀

Reply 43 of 532, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My most frustrating game ever must've been Half Life 1 (some version of it). It needed Steam (for crying out loud).
I started installing it at 1pm but then it said it needed to get files from the net. So downloading it went. I mean, it seemed to download THE WHOLE GAME or something, it took FOR-EVER!
During all this time I couldn't even use the computer so I was just sitting there till it was done...
Then after a while I had to create this STEAM account and all that crap.
So it went ahead again, after a (loooong) while it stopped at a screen where I needed to click 'ok' so I couldn't afk either!
Then....after EIGHT HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!...it was finally done!...NOT, it needed to start updating something AGAIN!!
I got SO FRUSTRATED...I literally PULLED THE POWER PLUG and didn't touch the computer for the rest of the day...I mean night -_-

I mean, a game that takes over 8 HOURS to install on a computer that's WAY overspec for it anyway...and then you still don't have a game!

Worst game ever!!!!

Reply 44 of 532, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

My most frustrating game ever must've been Half Life 1 (some version of it). It needed Steam (for crying out loud).

That would be Half-Life Source. It's a remake of the first game in the HL2 engine. I've never had access to it but I kind of wonder how it works given the AI (Artificial Idiocy) problems I mentioned earlier.

In any case I'm glad I got the platinum edition before this whole Steam gimmick was introduced.

Reply 45 of 532, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dunno. It was a later version of HL1 for sure. I bought it as a friend of mine kept telling me how ub3r c00l the game was so I bought it for a couple euro's.
Atleast I got a ugly looking beer coaster instead...ugh!

This basically put me off of steam till today.
Ever since, if I see a game I want to buy, but requires steam, I'll drop it like a hot potato! No matter how great the reviews of the game may be, NEVER STEAM AGAIN, it's totally disgraceful -_-

I heard steam's improved nowdays. Nowdays you only need to be online in order for you to play OFFline??? what messed up that is.

I recently (well, a couple months ago) installed Total Annihilation, a 1997 game, no key needed, patched it all up, installed Total Mayhem and HEAT from the cd itself et voila! It worked on my lan using XP no problem! Even in widescreen! And thats a game made in 1997! THATS how games are supposed to be! Just install (heck, it doesn't even need a key to be entered!), plug in the cables and off ya go!
The steam crap is on the mirror side of that spectrum. steam is how games are NOT supposed to be, bleh.

Ok, I'll stop ranting about steam now 🤣!

Just one more thing, do not buy anything with steam!!11
It will make your brain turn into stinky jelly!!1 😜

Reply 46 of 532, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had my first Steam experience at the end of last year. There where all these xmas specials and I went nuts. I always knew about Steam but never used it before.

Huge fan now and I will wait for something to be released on Steam. I love the convenience and also the prices. But never buy a game not on sale. They love doing a sale just a week after you bought something. I have this 10 dollar rule. I won't buy anything that costs more. Just need to wait 😀

I also use GOG but I don't like how they break up collections like with Space Quest or Kings Quest.

Steam also has Retro Games. E.g. the Doom package that was on sale recently was amazing value. Play it with zDoom and you can use your Roland Sound Canvas. Quite impressive.

Steam also has Space Quest and Kings Quest collections and a lot of Lucasarts games as well.

Reply 47 of 532, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My only Steam experience was bad as well, HL2 would not install. Tried three times and gave up. I had gotten it for free so didn't care too much.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 48 of 532, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wasn't that like 6 years ago? 😁 I haven't had a problem with Steam and I played Half Life 2 on day 0. I think that was Steam's launch day too and I'm sure they were under massive load, but it worked ok for me.

I use Steam a lot myself. I have like 80 games on it, with most of them bought due to sales. I like it. I don't really have any complaints.

Reply 49 of 532, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, there was some vicious, vicious hate for Steam at the time.

I should hate them now for constantly persuading me to give them money for stuff I don't get around to playing. 😜 I'd love to see their internal statistics about how many games they sell that never get installed, or only get played for ten minutes, and how much money they've made off of it!

Reply 50 of 532, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

I'd love to see their internal statistics about how many games they sell that never get installed, or only get played for ten minutes, and how much money they've made off of it!

No kidding, huh? I wish I was on the receiving end of all that gratuity. 😁

Reply 52 of 532, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When buying steam games, can you use those same games on other computers? If no, then no go for me. I want to be able to choose how and where to use software I buy. I'd rather not pay buying prices for renting software 😜

Reply 53 of 532, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What *was* I thinking??

Last edited by digitaldoofus on 2013-06-17, 07:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 54 of 532, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting...

These are my main reasons for going with Steam. I don't like CDs and boxes lying around. I don't want to download patches and because I have moved so much in the past, having all my games "on the cloud" is awesome for me. All my games are backed up on a harddrive and installed in no time.

The auto updates over the internet are awesome. If I had bought Monkey Island 2 SE on a CD, I would have likely never known that there was a patch with new features, unless I do research on my part. With steam you turn your machine on, Oh wow there's a update, let's see what it adds...

Yes you can use Steam on other computers, but you can only be online at one machine at a time. Once you have been online with a game once, you can play in offline mode. Meaning you can run games on several machines at the same time, provided you ran it once with a internet connection.

Many Old School games, you can just grab the files and play them in your version of DOSBox or zDoom and ScummVM if the games are supported (E.g. Monkey Island Special Edition).

But best for me are the prices. If Steam does a sale, the prices are awesome. Xmas is a very good time. I usually go nuts and buy great games for under 10 bucks.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 55 of 532, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digitaldoofus wrote:

Oh wait...did I just write that out loud?

Unfortunately yes. And I feel sorry for you that it fits.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Once you have been online with a game once, you can play

I may have already stated so in this topic but that's where I'm suspicious of Steam. I don't know that I'll always have an internet connection available. I like to have games that I can install without the internet and don't need permission to play.

Maybe this thread should be split in two different discussions.

Reply 56 of 532, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
Unfortunately yes. And I feel sorry for you that it fits. […]
Show full quote
digitaldoofus wrote:

Oh wait...did I just write that out loud?

Unfortunately yes. And I feel sorry for you that it fits.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Once you have been online with a game once, you can play

I may have already stated so in this topic but that's where I'm suspicious of Steam. I don't know that I'll always have an internet connection available. I like to have games that I can install without the internet and don't need permission to play.

Maybe this thread should be split in two different discussions.

I avoid steam too, even though (unfortunately) most of today's games require an internet connection to play. My latest? Bioshock 2, without making a MS Live account and logging in I could play the game, but unable to save my progression. I really miss the good old big box days.

Reply 57 of 532, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When these games are considered "retro" I hope there's patches made that let's you run them without hooking up to m$ Live and Steam because who knows how long these "ideas" will be around? 😜

Just look at the dropped support for Live on the original XBox...

Reply 58 of 532, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

...And I feel sorry for you that it fits.

Haven't you heard the old saying: "It's not the size of the boat; it's the motion of the ocean!" 😊

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...