Topic actions

Reply 40 of 55, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

I don't consider things like school papers as publishing.

I'm not talking about school papers - but academic papers

ac·a·dem·ic (ăk′ə-dĕm′ĭk) adj. 1. a. Of or relating to institutionalized education and scholarship, especially at a college o […]
Show full quote

ac·a·dem·ic (ăk′ə-dĕm′ĭk)
adj.
a. Of or relating to institutionalized education and scholarship, especially at a college or university.
b. Of or relating to studies that rely on reading and involve abstract thought rather than being primarily practical or technical.
c. Relating to scholarly performance: a student's academic average.
2. Academic Of or relating to the conservative style of art promoted by an official academy, especially the Académie des Beaux Arts in France in the nineteenth century.
3. Having little practical use or value, as by being overly detailed, unengaging, or theoretical: dismissed the article as a dry, academic exercise.
4. Having no important consequence or relevancy: The debate about who is to blame has become academic because the business has left town.

School papers.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 42 of 55, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyway, back to hybrid computing.

The only Socket A boards I can think of equipped with an ISA slot are KT133 or KT133A based boards from Epox and Abit. My Google kung-fu found an earlier pertinent Vogons thread.
Fastest Socket A / 462 mainboard with ISA slot?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 43 of 55, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

But they are not for school Oo

I guess I should call scientific papers, poor choice of words on my end.

I'm not arguing. I'm just observing. - Is almost like a language barrier thing.

I think it's just that you think of "school" as a separate entity from "University" and I think of "school" as an all encompassing term that includes all kinds educational entities.

To me if someone writes a paper while working or studying in a University (or any school) it's a school paper regardless of where it gets printed.

Part of it might be that our "school experiences" are 35 years apart.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 44 of 55, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
I'm not arguing. I'm just observing. - Is almost like a language barrier thing. […]
Show full quote

I'm not arguing. I'm just observing. - Is almost like a language barrier thing.

I think it's just that you think of "school" as a separate entity from "University" and I think of "school" as an all encompassing term that includes all kinds educational entities.

To me if someone writes a paper while working or studying in a University (or any school) it's a school paper regardless of where it gets printed.

It's not just schools and universities, though. Although it's vastly reduced from what it was, industrial research is still a thing and engineers and scientists from the private sector do contribute to major publications. Quite a few people have a foot in both camps as well.

Reply 45 of 55, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

It bothers me when people use the wrong tool for the job. Word, OOWriter, or anything of the sort are really terrible for doing publishing work. If you want to bang off a quick letter to someone, it's fine, but word processors just don't maintain enough fidelity for documents where layout and presentation are critical.

So... What is the right tool?
A printing press?

I've talked to somebody who found Microsoft Publisher very suitable, but that was > 15 years ago, no idea which version he referred to and how good the current version is. The funny thing is that not even Microsoft themselves managed to develop a proper import filter - Publisher could import word documents, but the layout got mangled. Perhaps that has gotten better?

Reply 46 of 55, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Print shops would frequently insult Publisher users, due to poor version compatability and the fact it wasn't pro.

Generally, Quark or PageMaker (which was succeeded by InDesign) were the popular DTP choices.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 48 of 55, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I often hear that "supermicro" chipset can support : isa, pci and vlb... but in such a bad manner that no one cares... I cares, anyone got a board of those ?

Reply 49 of 55, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

It's not just schools and universities, though. Although it's vastly reduced from what it was, industrial research is still a thing and engineers and scientists from the private sector do contribute to major publications. Quite a few people have a foot in both camps as well.

Emphasis on 35 years ago.
In the late 70's computers were expensive. Few people had one.
The Apple II was released about when I started College at ~$1300 (without printer) which corrected for inflation would be ~$5000 today.
Wordstar was new at ~$540 w/manual. (A little over $2000 today.)
By the time you added a printer and disk/tapes and so forth you were at near $10,000 in to days dollars.
The only students that got unrestricted (time wise) use of a word processor were teaches pets or those with rich daddies.
Everyone else was using a typewriter.
Least, that's how it was where I was.

Reply 50 of 55, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote:

I often hear that "supermicro" chipset can support : isa, pci and vlb... but in such a bad manner that no one cares... I cares, anyone got a board of those ?

I'm not aware there ever was a "supermicro" chipset.
"Supermicro" the company was formed in 1993. The same year PCI was introduced.
As far as I know they have never made any chip. Just motherboards and chassis.

Reply 51 of 55, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:

Does the AMD760 chipset support a fully functional ISA slot? Or would it be the same situation as on the P4 boards?

Biostar M7MIA
http://www.anandtech.com/show/845/4

From the southbridge's tech doc. (VT82C686B)

AMD-760_South.jpg
Filename
AMD-760_South.jpg
File size
67.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 52 of 55, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
Emphasis on 35 years ago. In the late 70's computers were expensive. Few people had one. The Apple II was released about when I […]
Show full quote

Emphasis on 35 years ago.
In the late 70's computers were expensive. Few people had one.
The Apple II was released about when I started College at ~$1300 (without printer) which corrected for inflation would be ~$5000 today.
Wordstar was new at ~$540 w/manual. (A little over $2000 today.)
By the time you added a printer and disk/tapes and so forth you were at near $10,000 in to days dollars.
The only students that got unrestricted (time wise) use of a word processor were teaches pets or those with rich daddies.
Everyone else was using a typewriter.
Least, that's how it was where I was.

I get what you're saying. I remember that transition too, although I was just a pup at the time. Certainly you'll go back a little before me, but I do remember when word processors were made by companies like Brother and Canon and were like a typewriter with a three line screen, so the technology has certainly changed.

As for my comment, I was merely pointing out that scientific papers are not merely for the lotus eaters. They are, in a sense, another form of technical writing.

Reply 53 of 55, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
I'm not aware there ever was a "supermicro" chipset. "Supermicro" the company was formed in 1993. The same year PCI was introduc […]
Show full quote
ElBrunzy wrote:

Yes you are right of course, I was talking broadly and meant "a chipset you could find on a supermicro board" hybrid computer, like those who have isa, agp8x and pci and a p4 socket. I did hear that they poorly support all those bus thogether. Now that you mention it, it never occured to my mind to wonder who actually did the chipset on those mutli bus supermicro motherboard. When I was searching a board with isa 16bit, pci and agp8x the only one I found where made by supermicro and they where reputed unreliable or buggy. That's kind of a turn off as they dont give them boards at all.

Reply 54 of 55, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
I'm not aware there ever was a "supermicro" chipset. "Supermicro" the company was formed in 1993. The same year PCI was introduc […]
Show full quote
ElBrunzy wrote:

Yes you are right of course, I was talking broadly and meant "a chipset you could find on a supermicro board" hybrid computer, like those who have isa, agp8x and pci and a p4 socket. I did hear that they poorly support all those bus thogether. Now that you mention it, it never occured to my mind to wonder who actually did the chipset on those mutli bus supermicro motherboard. When I was searching a board with isa 16bit, pci and agp8x the only one I found where made by supermicro and they where reputed unreliable or buggy. That's kind of a turn off as they dont give them boards at all.

Although expensive, the MB800H (Intel 845G chipset, P4 s478, 533 FSB) has working 1x AGP 4X, 3x PCI 32bit/33MHz and 3x ISA 16bit (with DMA). It works perfectly with old ISA Soundblasters and the like. It's what my current retro system is built around - it's compatible enough to play early DOS games with perfect ISA card support, will run modern versions of Windows and any non x86-64 versions of Linux, too.

Mine currently has:

3.06 Pentium 4 HT
2GB DDR333
AGP Nvidia 7600GT
PCI 1 Intel PRO 1000 Server adapter
PCI 2 Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1
PCI 3 Promise TX2 SATA300 controller (+120GB SSD drive for DOS/XP/Linux boot partitions)
ISA 1 Soundblaster AWE32 CT2760 + NEC XR385
ISA 2 Transtech Transputer interface card
ISA 3 Roland MPU-IPC-T + MT32 + SC55mk2 + SC8820

I also have a 500GB IDE drive and a DVD/CD writer hanging off the onboard IDE ports. It'll do all the usual 'boot from USB/LAN/SCSI' stuff, including USB attached CD, floppy and flash drives I've tried so far.

I'm triple booting Dos 7.1 (WIn 98 SE for FAT32 support), XP and Linux Mint 17.x. Works great. The problem is finding one at a reasonable price.

I don't think there's anything later with fully working ISA slots - the available Core2/i3/i5/i7 solutions have ISA slots, but no longer support DMA, so that's not an option for anyone like us wanting the 'classic' DOS gaming experience.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 55 of 55, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah right you bring back something I've setlled down. I think that I figured out the best gpu you can run on win98se is a gt6600 as I want it fanless (the purpose of this machine is to listen to the emu10k with AMP3.0, and run win9x demos), otherwise I think you can get something like an 6800g. You can of course bring something way more hot but there is just no drivers for win98se, so it's no use, as I wanted to run that os. I think my board only support a 2.53ghz non-ht cpu, you dont remember about that kind of details when you run win98 and dos7 it dosent really matter.