User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the Windows 7 UI.
I see no need to replace it with this!

A4Uwfs4vaQs2FdexOLZ1s-my52fzFQnlyus5RZpOOkNI7mEcg8HUBLoa16fzIOD9Xj8%3Dh900

Sorry I could not resist.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 42 of 163, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Maybe its because of your graphical adapter?

I have a GeForce GTX 660 GPU. I seriously doubt that's the cause of my troubles, especially considering Direct3D 9 and later stuff works perfectly fine. Plus, I should point out that on Windows 8, there are NO DLLs present for prior versions of DirectX. DX8 and DX9 offered support for DX7 and DX8 simply by including the DLLs for them. DX9 could natively run DX7 and DX8 stuff using the appropriate DLLs. However, on Windows 8, DX9 support does NOT include DX7 or DX8, and when attempting to run games which use those versions of DirectX, they're shoved into DX11's compatibility features, which produce terrible full-screen results. x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 43 of 163, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm. Im interested into testing that. Could you tell me some applications to try? I will try the games you mentioned and that word program.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 44 of 163, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

... I see no need to replace it with this!

(pic of tiles for retards)

The reason is that the Metro crap is the bait to capture and imprison you in what MS intends to be its own version of Apple's walled garden.

That's why one faction inside MS is so bent on destroying the classic desktop interface and the start menu: these mean freedom outside the walled garden. That's why they are trying to force a phone/tablet interface on desktops and even servers (which is stupid beyond conception 🤣 ).

And that's why Tiles 8 is capsized and keel up, people are not buying it (pun intended).

Let the air flow!

Reply 45 of 163, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats obvious, but why would anybody who uses an operating system for what is intended to be used as care about that?
if M$ fails, others will reclaim its position.
I do agree that the logic of visual appeal before functionality is idiotic, but every one does that.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 46 of 163, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well regardless of what they may think at the top of MS ivory towers people do care. A lot.

A funny example: "Help your friends and family get off Windows XP"

^ The attempt to shepherd from XP to Tiles 8 backfires badly. The comments are priceless 🤣 .

Let the air flow!

Reply 47 of 163, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will state this again: TWO CLICKS, taking less than 2 seconds, and I can open just about any non-gaming program I want to on my Windows 8 system. I have a few games on my start menu, but most are delegated to a special folder for all my DOS stuff and Steam for almost all of my modern stuff.

Even waaaaaaaaaay back in Windows 98, I had created several shortcut buttons on my taskbar which would bring up folders full of icons since, even back then, I found the Start Menu cumbersome and slow.

Anyone who says the Windows 8 Live Tiles are stupid clearly isn't using them properly because they've spent so much time learning how to use the Start Menu that they can't adapt to a simpler and more user friendly system that's ultimately faster and less likely to result in opening the wrong thing. :P

Now, all that said, I DO have a problem with the whole "app" approach Microsoft has tried to take. For a tablet or phone, it makes sense, but for a laptop or desktop it doesn't. As such, I spend 99.999% of my time on my Windows 8 system on the desktop, which itself is TECHNICALLY an app.

I get that Microsoft wants to have a single product they can use across both tablets and PCs, which in some ways simplifies running software between the two, but people didn't expect nor ask for such an OS, and I think that's where most of the contention lies.

The simple fact is, Windows 8 pretty much does everything the average person would want it to do, it's just that it's DIFFERENT, and people fear change. It's not perfect, but no Windows OS ever has been. (Actually NO OS ever has been, period, so just pick your poison and be done with it.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 48 of 163, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

The reason is that the Metro crap is the bait to capture and imprison you in what MS intends to be its own version of Apple's walled garden.

That's why one faction inside MS is so bent on destroying the classic desktop interface and the start menu: these mean freedom outside the walled garden. That's why they are trying to force a phone/tablet interface on desktops and even servers (which is stupid beyond conception 🤣 ).

Also jews did 9/11, and I totally saw bigfoot this one time.

Gemini000 wrote:
I will state this again: TWO CLICKS, taking less than 2 seconds, and I can open just about any non-gaming program I want to on m […]
Show full quote

I will state this again: TWO CLICKS, taking less than 2 seconds, and I can open just about any non-gaming program I want to on my Windows 8 system. I have a few games on my start menu, but most are delegated to a special folder for all my DOS stuff and Steam for almost all of my modern stuff.

Even waaaaaaaaaay back in Windows 98, I had created several shortcut buttons on my taskbar which would bring up folders full of icons since, even back then, I found the Start Menu cumbersome and slow.

Anyone who says the Windows 8 Live Tiles are stupid clearly isn't using them properly because they've spent so much time learning how to use the Start Menu that they can't adapt to a simpler and more user friendly system that's ultimately faster and less likely to result in opening the wrong thing. 😜

Now, all that said, I DO have a problem with the whole "app" approach Microsoft has tried to take. For a tablet or phone, it makes sense, but for a laptop or desktop it doesn't. As such, I spend 99.999% of my time on my Windows 8 system on the desktop, which itself is TECHNICALLY an app.

I get that Microsoft wants to have a single product they can use across both tablets and PCs, which in some ways simplifies running software between the two, but people didn't expect nor ask for such an OS, and I think that's where most of the contention lies.

The simple fact is, Windows 8 pretty much does everything the average person would want it to do, it's just that it's DIFFERENT, and people fear change. It's not perfect, but no Windows OS ever has been. (Actually NO OS ever has been, period, so just pick your poison and be done with it.)

Hush! Your objective pragmatism has no place here! 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 49 of 163, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What a fun read! I personally haven't tried Windows 8 yet - Windows 7 64 here and loving every minute of it - but when Windows 8 does come my way then I'm looking forward to trying it out.

When people rage against Microsoft OS's I wonder what they're comparing them too, Linux? I have in front of me 2 machines as I type this, one running Windows 7 and one running Ubuntu Mint, so I can compare them literally side-by-side. A linux rant would be way off topic but in summary it regularly falls short. It's not all bad of course, but I use the linux machine for a select few programming tools mandated by my company, I use W7 for everything else.

My suggestion would be Windows 7 64, I've been using it for years and it's never once disappointed me.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 50 of 163, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

Hush! Your objective pragmatism has no place here! 😜

He thinks like me so he is therefore pragmatic ? 😁

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 51 of 163, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

When people rage against Microsoft OS's I wonder what they're comparing them too, Linux? .

I used to be on that Linux-is-the-best ship. Around 2010 there was a strong urge to jump the shark with so many new audio standards that wreck compatibility, and a sudden disdain for X11 just for getting crashy composition effects as the #1 thing to finally get YEAR OF LINUX ON THE DESKTOP when it's really Ubuntu through the turd polish, and given the short cycles of distros, maintaining security and compatibility would mean having to take in these forced changes and regressions.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 53 of 163, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

He found a way to use it that suits him, and didn't avoid it on ideological grounds.

That makes him pragmatic.

TELVM wrote:

This HP ad from days ago perfectly synthesizes the overwhelming success of Tiles 8:

Number of people saying Windows 8 has been successful: 0. Who exactly are you arguing with?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 54 of 163, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

He found a way to use it that suits him, and didn't avoid it on ideological grounds.

We are all ideological beeings and everything we do or not do is infuenced by it.
But those who like Windows 8 Metro GUI are at least not victims of herd mentality 😀

Reply 55 of 163, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You guys do know that new computers with the Pro version of Windows 8 allow you to backgrade to Windows 7, right? The problem is finding computers that come with the Pro version and not the consumer version. Most companies won't even let you "upgrade" to the Pro version at order time. They stick you with the consumer version.

TELVM wrote:

Well regardless of what they may think at the top of MS ivory towers people do care. A lot.

A funny example: "Help your friends and family get off Windows XP"

^ The attempt to shepherd from XP to Tiles 8 backfires badly. The comments are priceless 🤣 .

I like how they just casually throw out that "Buy a new PC" line. Don't they realize we're still in a global recession and dropping hundreds or thousands of dollars on a new computer right now is not an option for most people? If people buying a new PC is what they're depending on to get the Windows 8 user base numbers up, I'd be shorting Microsoft stock right now.

Reply 56 of 163, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

He thinks like me so he is therefore pragmatic ? :D

*nods*

Truth be told though, the key reason I'm on Windows 8 is two-fold:

1. If I'm going to be developing games, I really should develop them on the most up-to-date Windows OS. As I mentioned earlier: Backwards compatibility is easier to code than forwards compatibility.

2. I presently have access to 98, XP, Vista, and 7 machines, so it made sense to get an 8 machine.

Don't get me wrong though, I used to be on the Microsoft hate bandwagon, until one of my colleagues while I was programming math software back in 2002 to 2004, pointed out (over the course of several months) all the reasons why it's stupid to hate Microsoft just because they get some things wrong.

...Then I saw first-hand what the alternatives were like, with one of my friends trying (and failing) to convert over to Linux on a permanent basis, and my own personal experience with Apple's OS X systems and how ridiculous it was trying to code for them, not to mention Apple's "nothing should ever go wrong because we're Apple" approach to tech support, meaning when I had to fix a problem there was virtually no information on how to do so.

*shrugs* You really do just gotta pick your poison when it comes to operating systems. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 57 of 163, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see this is quite a controversial topic! 🤣 Don't worry guys, I won't be touching Win8 anytime soon.

But back to my original question, I think I'll see if I can find a copy of XP x64 anyway, and give that a try too. Now let's say I want to triple-boot Win7, XP64 and Debian with this UEFI stuff... What's the best way to install that, in which order, and what should my partition table look like?

Reply 58 of 163, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

... Suggest get 7 and wait (with fingers crossed) for 9. 😁

And better sooner than later: Microsoft to Kill Windows 7 sales for consumer PCs in October

shoot-yourself-foot-internet-marketing-sabotage-online-marketing-success-training-propane-fitness.jpg

THIS_IS_MICROSOFT_001.jpg

Let the air flow!

Reply 59 of 163, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow behold this fresh gem ladies & gents 🤣 :

Windows 8 UX designer on Metro: "It is the antithesis of a power user"

... For this discussion, assume that Metro is sh*t for power users (even if you don't believe it to be)." - Miller […]
Show full quote

... For this discussion, assume that Metro is sh*t for power users (even if you don't believe it to be)." - Miller

Miller continued on to explain that the design team split users into two groups: content creators and content consumers:

· Content creators were explained to be power users: they have multiple windows open across multiple monitors, they sometimes even have virtual machines that also have their own nested levels of complexity.

· Content consumers were explained to be casual users who just use basic social media platforms, view photos, and so on. They were described as the computer illiterate younger siblings, the older grandparents, or the mother "who just wants to look up apple pie recipes."

Windows 8 was designed for the latter group: the content consumers. This is also where Metro stems from: it is a platform that is "simple, clear, and does one thing (and only one thing) relatively easily." Miller described Metro as the antithesis of a power user.

... We separated the users into two groups. Casual and Power. We made two separate playgrounds for them. All the casual users would have their own new and shiny place to look at pictures of cats - Metro. The power users would then have free reign over their native domain - the desktop." - Miller

... Miller went on to comment on why Metro was made default, and there was no boot to desktop option included in Windows 8. He explained that casual users "don't go exploring," and that if they made the desktop the default-- as it's always been-- the casual users would never have migrated to "their land of milk and honey"-- the casual-friendly Metro interface. He explained that they would have occupied the Desktop as they always did, and that Microsoft would have been right back where they started.

"Windows 7 couldn't have existed without the lessons we learned from the mess that was vista. Xp couldn't have existed without 2000. Hopefully Windows 9 will be a solid refinement on all this" - Miller

Let the air flow!