VOGONS

Common searches

What DOS game are you playing right now?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 107, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
Yeah, it's a shame. Nevertheless, I still think it's worth checking out. Perhaps you won't finish the game because of all its […]
Show full quote
keropi wrote:

damn, and DTUM looks nice...

Yeah, it's a shame. Nevertheless, I still think it's worth checking out. Perhaps you won't finish the game because of all its problems, but I enjoyed the first half of it, enough for me to restart it and try again...

Here's a boxed version on ebay, and the seller ships worldwide -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AD-D-Descent-to-Undermo … =item58868c660c

Arew you playing it in pure DOS and not in a "simulator"? 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 61 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

Arew you playing it in pure DOS and not in a "simulator"? 😉

I'm using DOSBox, but I think I might know what the problem is. Up to now, I've been using cheat codes and save game file hacks. I think that this combination has screwed up the game. I've just restarted my game from the beginning, and only used a hit point cheat and a money cheat. Now, things seem normal...so far! 😀

Reply 62 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I started the game again, and without using too many cheats and hacks, I have got to the part where I previously got stuck. It's OK now - the game seems to be working fine. Here's a screenshot at the bottom of this pit.

Edit: when I say the game is working OK now, I do have to restart it every 5-10 mins because of crash back to desktop. But this is DTUM, and so that is to be expected. I can still make progress in the game, but saving every 30 seconds is mandatory!

Attachments

• dtugame_011.png
    Filename
    dtugame_011.png
    File size
    29.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 65 of 107, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DTU really looks awesome
Guess who went for the BIN on that UK Ebay auction? 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 66 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

DTU really looks awesome
Guess who went for the BIN on that UK Ebay auction? 😉

I've been playing it all day! It's fun. Another good point about this game is the 128 page printed manual, and it's well written. (Replacementdocs has a copy of it.) Also, Tip: if you want full screen mode, press F3. BTW, you'll laugh when you see some of the monsters moving.

You might also laugh if you watch these -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeCsO3GGveo (Released Worse PC Game Ever)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBLveFVpeVk (more gameplay)

Reply 68 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

is it a DOS or win9x game??

It's a DOS game. It uses a modified Descent 1 engine. On the CD-ROM, it says Windows 95 compatible, but I think it's best to run it in either DOS 6 or DOS 7.

Reply 69 of 107, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
keropi wrote:

damn, and DTUM looks nice...

Here's a boxed version on ebay, and the seller ships worldwide -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AD-D-Descent-to-Undermo … =item58868c660c

You have to admit, the game looks fun and exciting. =] I've always had mine in my main game shelf/display just cause it has that great D&D glow.

Reply 70 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just finished Descent to Undermountain. I'm not sure if the game was bugged, or that I messed up some of the game files by using cheat hacks, or whether I had some kind of "bad spell" cast on me by an enemy, but for the last 50% of the game, I had to use either a fly potion, or a fly ring in order to prevent myself from being stuck floating high up in the air. This meant that my view of the world was continuously bobbing up and down, exactly like the view seen from the cockpit in Descent 1. That killed a bit of the atmosphere unfortunately. But another thing I liked about this game was the level design. Perhaps there were a couple more hidden doors in the levels than was really necessary, but generally speaking I liked it.

Reply 71 of 107, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Master of Magic.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 72 of 107, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😁 Anvil of Dawn. With XG Midi goodness. 😁

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 74 of 107, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Once I read somewhere on the net about people complaining that Master of Magic is too easy. And to be frank, the "Easy" level is indeed easy.

Now I'm playing in "Normal" difficulty level. Sharee terrorizes me from the east, while Merlin enroaches from the west while complaining that I am the one who invades his territory. And I have to resort to hex-edit (gold and mana) to survive.

Yeah, "too easy", alright.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 75 of 107, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MoM is a great game. I remember playing it 14 years ago on my 486, with no sound... Oh, agony... I played it every year since then, on various PeeCees, with better and better sound (SbPro compatibles, AWE32 and GUS with GM emulation, OPL4 GM, DB60XG GM) then in DosBox with .SF2 or .DLS of various sizes.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.

Reply 76 of 107, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fillosaurus wrote:

MoM is a great game.

It is. Last night, just before I was about to take a shower, I decided to do a "quick review" on my cities. Anyway, it happened at 7 PM.

It was intended to a quick review, really. But I also noticed that Merlin's Guardian Spirit approaching my nature node. So here I was, at 01.15 AM, still wearing a towel, and have consumed two packs of cigarette, glued to the screen as I tried to fend off Merlin's troops.

Reply 77 of 107, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shower? What is that? What is it good for? =))

Reply 78 of 107, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fillosaurus wrote:

Shower? What is that? What is it good for? =))

Update: Master of Magic has put me down with really severe sore throat. And fever. Guess I have to stop playing DOS games, huh? 😁