Common searches

Win X

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 115, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An update for the OS, that breaks it, to the point of a complete reinstall is needed. Is kind of the biggest screwup and failure that a company can make. I am not telling people to stop using Win10, only saying that the history of botched updates and updates that are just restarting the computer, the minute you have to use it to pass the final exam. Is kind of not good. I wonder how many did not become a doctor or something, just because MS screwed up. Not cool MS, not cool.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 61 of 115, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

An update for the OS, that breaks it, to the point of a complete reinstall is needed.

If this was me you were refering to here, no you misread. It screwed up the GUI, more specifcally some icons went missing in the start menu... OS was fine, didn't stop me working in anyway. I lived with it for about 7 months before IT gave me a new drive... which required the reinstall... and then the icons were there again...not that I use the start menu anyway other than to shutdown... (goto 'start' to shutdown...makes perfect sense 😵 ).

However, I will say not much in the computing world these days pisses me off more than finishing in the evening going to turn off the computer coz I'm tired and want to go to bed, only to go to shutdown and see the dreaded "Update and Shutdown"... they could at least give me the option to just shutdown, and do the update next time I turn it on.

Honestly though, if you think linux is better... you have a world of hurt awaiting. Linux introduced the user to a concept previously reserved for developers called "dependency hell". Now we can all share the pain...

Reply 62 of 115, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't forget Linux has recently added sjw hell to the mix. There seems to be just talk about it for now but as soon as it starts affecting things in earnest it's going to get interesting, should see concerted forking.

Reply 63 of 115, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awgamer wrote:

Don't forget Linux has recently added sjw hell to the mix. There seems to be just talk about it for now but as soon as it starts affecting things in earnest it's going to get interesting, should see concerted forking.

Ouch, not heard of that before... future of linux isn't looking good. Looks like GNU's copyleft-ism has finally shot itself in the foot. Once the seed is planted... it propagates (according to the lic).

Hopefully the exodus will come to BSD... the TRUE home of open source. o.0

Unix FTW!

Reply 64 of 115, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
awgamer wrote:
SirNickity wrote:

I think we can agree that Microsoft and Intel were pretty much leading the industry to USB -- and the whole plug-n-play paradigm, really. You definitely have to give them some leeway on this front. They were blazing a trail, and of course it wasn't perfect right out of the gate. No problem.

Texas Instruments did it first with the TI-99 series well over a decade before and were pushing it further with their follow up when it got shut down along with the TI-99 thanks to the price war from trameil's grudge he had against TI.

As a big TI99 fan I am unsure how you could claim what it was doing as "plug and play" similar to USB? Are you talking about the expansion port?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 65 of 115, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reading the description of how it operated should convince you.

"Plug and play" hardware support
Daisy-chained Hexbus peripherals

All TI-99 models, from the earliest TI-99/4 to the unreleased TI-99/2 and TI-99/8, include plug and play support for all peripherals. Device drivers (called "Device Service Routines", or DSRs) are built into ROMs in the hardware; when a new card was inserted, it is immediately available for any software which needed or wanted to use it. All device access utilize a generic file-based I/O mechanism, allowing new devices to be added without updating software to use it. The Communications Register Unit (CRU) can address 4096 devices; however, each TI card runs at a hard-wired address on the CRU bus, and so multiple cards of the same type cannot be supported without modification. The only official card known to be modifiable is the RS-232 card, which supports two different base addresses. This allows the system to support four RS-232 ports and two parallel printer ports. Four-line BBSes were being run, using properly jumpered serial cards, on TI-99/4A systems as recently as the mid-1990s.[citation needed]

Most hobbyist-created cards released after TI's exit from the personal computer business include switches to set the base CRU address.

The HexBus Interface was designed in 1982 and intended for commercial release in late 1983. It connects the console to peripherals via a high-speed serial link. Though it is prototypical to today's USB (plug and play, hot-swappable, etc.), it was never released, with only a small number of prototypes appearing in collector hands after TI pulled out of the market. Several HexBus peripherals were planned or produced. A WaferTape drive never made it past the prototype stage due to reliability issues with the tapes. The 5.25-inch floppy drive also never made it past the prototype stage, even though it worked.[6] Prototype DSDD disk controllers and Video controllers were also made.[7] A four-color printer-plotter, a 300-baud modem, RS-232 interface, an 80-column thermal/ink printer, and a 2.8" "Quick Disk" drive were the only peripherals released in quantity, mostly for use with the Compact Computer 40 (CC-40). All HexBus peripherals can be used with a TI-99/4A when connected through the HexBus Interface, through direct connection to the TI-99/8, or through direct connection to the CC-40.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instrumen … ardware_support

Reply 66 of 115, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
spiroyster wrote:
If this was me you were refering to here, no you misread. It screwed up the GUI, more specifcally some icons went missing in the […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:

An update for the OS, that breaks it, to the point of a complete reinstall is needed.

If this was me you were refering to here, no you misread. It screwed up the GUI, more specifcally some icons went missing in the start menu... OS was fine, didn't stop me working in anyway. I lived with it for about 7 months before IT gave me a new drive... which required the reinstall... and then the icons were there again...not that I use the start menu anyway other than to shutdown... (goto 'start' to shutdown...makes perfect sense 😵 ).

However, I will say not much in the computing world these days pisses me off more than finishing in the evening going to turn off the computer coz I'm tired and want to go to bed, only to go to shutdown and see the dreaded "Update and Shutdown"... they could at least give me the option to just shutdown, and do the update next time I turn it on.

Honestly though, if you think linux is better... you have a world of hurt awaiting. Linux introduced the user to a concept previously reserved for developers called "dependency hell". Now we can all share the pain...

Well yes. Icons missing and other stuff missing and no other way to restore them. Sounds pretty much like breaking the installation to me.

Dependency hell? Hmmm.... Well, the only hell of missing dependency that I can remember seing on Linux. Was back in the late 90's. You know. The Redhat6/7 days. Had to install this and that, before I was able to install something. Yup. That was a butthurt of pain. Luckily APT resolved that problem. I don't know about other distro's these days, as I have only used Debian or Debian deriatives since the mid-00's. If this is what you are thinking about, then it is a devellopers issue. As comoared to what I have seen on Win10, then it is the devellopers that create issues for the user.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 67 of 115, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awgamer wrote:

Don't forget Linux has recently added sjw hell to the mix.

Because social justice makes increases the number of bugs in software? Social justice makes it harder to compile from source?

Reply 70 of 115, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually if I recall sjws have already removed "male fragility" from one project, the project's lead dev. Hence, yes, sjws increase bugs, makes things not compile, and followed to its logical conclusion makes things not be at all. sjw agenda will be worked around though, it'll be a hassle to reinvent the wheel for a lot of projects, but then linux's default character is to reinvent things n times over so having to fork projects is effectively more of the same.

Reply 71 of 115, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awgamer wrote:

Actually if I recall sjws have already removed "male fragility" from one project, the project's lead dev. Hence, yes, sjws increase bugs, makes things not compile, and followed to its logical conclusion makes things not be at all. sjw agenda will be worked around though

🤣

Reply 73 of 115, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@AlaricD
google "linux code of conduct".

TL:DR We have a clash of personalities in the cult of personalities. One narcissist has been ousted (directly or indirectly ... who cares) by another narcissist. Problem is, one believes in meritocracy and the other does not. LT may be a git, but at least he has been an advocate about keeping politics out of OSS. The code is important, not the developer.

“Oh sheeeeeet, why was that exception not caught... this is a real-time critical system... people are now dead”.

“yeah, but the developer is a really nice person that saves puppies from the rain and bakes cakes for old people on the weekend”.

“ah ok then!”

BSD could do with some kernel developers... BSD doesn't discriminate... they even accepted systemd 🤣 .

Reply 74 of 115, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote:

“Oh sheeeeeet, why was that exception not caught... this is a real-time critical system... people are now dead”.

“yeah, but the developer is a really nice person that saves puppies from the rain and bakes cakes for old people on the weekend”.

So, an eye towards social justice automatically makes you a bad programmer? Or being a terrible human being automatically makes you a good programmer?

Reply 75 of 115, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlaricD wrote:
spiroyster wrote:

So, an eye towards social justice automatically makes you a bad programmer? Or being a terrible human being automatically makes you a good programmer?

nice strawman there...

The example is about quality of the code being irrelevant because of the personality of the developer. Not what is needed in a software world... for president, yes I would rather have someone with a more moral grounding... and in which case I wouldn't care if that president could code or not... likewise... for software... other way around.

As I said they are both narcissists who are pushing their own agendas for their own gains... this is not sj.

Coraline Ada Ehmke wrote:

"I can’t wait for the mass exodus from Linux now that it’s been infiltrated by SJWs. Hahahah"..

You can't honestly look at that response and say this is someone who promotes...

https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct.html wrote:
"respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences" "inclusive language" "Focusing on what is best for the community" "Showing […]
Show full quote

"respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences"
"inclusive language"
"Focusing on what is best for the community"
"Showing empathy towards other community members"

And not to mention...

"conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting"

The hypocrisy and irony is laughable...they should read and understand their own document. This person either doesn't understand what meritocracy is, or they do and have strategically stolen the phrase and coupled with with darker subjects which are nothing to do with it in order to shock. For someone who doesn't think meritocracy is good... they are doing a pretty good job of advocating it themselves through their own self promotion.

Meanwhile I want working code. Politics should not have a place in open source software development.

And for the record... couldn't give a f*ck about LT either.

Reply 76 of 115, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlaricD wrote:
spiroyster wrote:

Since sjw means eschewing merit, yes, and sjw is the terrible.

Reply 77 of 115, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I expect every Windows 10 thread to devolve into a flamewar that gets locked somehow, but I didn't expect it to be over some angsty teen whining about SJWs ruining Linux development.

spiroyster wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

I've only discussed UI, so yes, it's mostly customizing the UI, classic start menu, removing all the features I don't want from everywhere. Lots of minor stuff that all adds up whenever I have to set up a new computer. Getting rid of the ribbon entirely (not just minimizing it) takes like 5 minutes by itself. Figuring out how to do it obviously took longer.

I'm intrigued, any documentation on this?

I use Ribbon Disabler:
https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.20
There are manual ways to do it that doesn't require third party software, but you'll likely have to redo it at some updates (mostly only feature updates). That doesn't remove the ribbon, but replaces it with the command bar, which I then follow this guide to remove:
https://www.askvg.com/how-to-make-folder-band … -windows-vista/
With two alterations, the -28 in element padding needs to be lower (I think I set -38) in Windows 10 and I create a new theme (make a copy of aero.theme and the aero folder, and edit DisplayName and Path in aero.theme). So you know, if I screw up or a Windows update screws up I can login to another user that doesn't have a broken theme and fix it. That should give a result similar to this:

Clipboard01.png
Filename
Clipboard01.png
File size
13.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 78 of 115, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlaricD wrote:

LT came to the conclusion that his occasional flame posts were detrimental to the community. They have chased talent out of the developer pool in the past and probably have been a reason for new talent avoiding Linux development.

I don't think it's a problem sticking to a more professional, technically driven dialog (Just the facts, Jack!) without all the drama.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder