VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most of the regular users here, when you talk to, you'll get the knowledge that they have been in the IT industry for quite some time. Or at least, in some other form of the tech industry.

Are there regular users here who hail from a different profession: like a medical officer, a non-technical engineer, a mechanic of sorts, athlete, cook, entrepreneur, social influencer, etc?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 67, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I started in IT and switched to genomics after a few years. My job still involves a lot of computer work, but my work focuses on studying biological questions.

I'm also a member of a clandestine organization that fights crime and supervillains, but I can't say much about that for obvious reasons.

Reply 3 of 67, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2024-04-20, 01:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 67, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had initially worked in tech support, then moved on to system administration in a DTV specific context, then back to support, but this time in a more specific context with corporate customers.

Reply 5 of 67, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Always worked in IT, but the field has changed quite dramatically. I started out in general system admin support, before moving in to database admin, middleware development and then infrastructure design. I currently focus on high performance and scientific computing - supporting scientists and research across engineering, science and medical disciplines.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 6 of 67, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got an advanced science degree and wasted it, at the time I emerged from my pupal stage ready to spread my wings, it was all "big science" with no funding elsewhere and they were just looking for obedient little drones. No fun. I was avoiding getting roped into defence industry either, we had plenty good enough ways of killing ppl already tyvm. So I bounced around a bit, making high quality switches here, building hydrant sized valves there, bounced over to Canada, found my degree wasn't even looked at here, more odd jobs. I have deliberately avoided going into IT, though somehow made money off computers several times in different ways, tangentially and otherwise. Always wanted to get my own thing going, but felt like the BB in a pinball machine for years, lots of family and situational drama that was a time sink. Wife is earning okay money now and I'm more or less medically retired. Strangely, I have apparently inspired ppl to take up IT by showing them how to build and fix computers. I have had a bit of a weird fragmented life really, every time I jumped ship for another one that was heading in the direction I wanted to go, it basically did a 90 degree turn and dropped me off somewhere else.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 67, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-04-19, 20:19:

I started in IT and switched to genomics after a few years. My job still involves a lot of computer work, but my work focuses on studying biological questions.

I'm also a member of a clandestine organization that fights crime and supervillains, but I can't say much about that for obvious reasons.

Don't believe him he works for the Gray aliens.

Reply 8 of 67, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-04-19, 23:29:

Look what you've done! You've blown open the whole conspiracy! Now all the "chosen few", echo chamber educated, gullible morons on social media might never stop worshipping you.

Reply 9 of 67, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since you blew my cover, I told my Gray friends that lube won't be needed during your scheduled probing!

Reply 10 of 67, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-04-20, 00:52:

Since you blew my cover, I told my Gray friends that lube won't be needed during your scheduled probing!

I lived through the DOS, non PNP, pre-memmaker days, I'm not afraid of a little rough trade.

Reply 11 of 67, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I dare not speculate about the speculum.

On a more serious and relevant note to this topic, I once did seriously consider a degree in anthropology.

Last edited by darry on 2024-04-21, 05:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 67, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-04-20, 00:57:

I lived through the DOS, non PNP, pre-memmaker days, I'm not afraid of a little rough trade.

Let's keep it civil, please. Do Not Fold, Spindle or Mutilate.

On a more serious and on-topic note is anybody here experienced enough to have actually used punched cards in a professional context, whether while working in IT or otherwise ?

Reply 14 of 67, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

See now that's a normal kind of job to have 'coz that's what my Father did 🤣 .... no seriously, he did, but switching engines/shunters on a large industrial complex, private lines, I think 25 miles was about the furthest he could go. Shoving around, ore, coal, slag etc. filling and tipping, marshalling outgoing stuff into trains for the mainline. So I thought he was the coolest Dad ever when I was 7. Unfortunately the place closed down when I wasn't much older, I think he would have got me in for a footplate ride if I'd been a bit older.

edit: Coincidentally, I later had a summer job in a place that occupied a chunk of the leveled site, and I drove a truck up and down the track bed where he would have driven his locomotive a few times.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 15 of 67, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I work in bulk heavy materials handling so essentially drive haul packs and loaders for a living, not little ones either. Not a bad job honestly and pays a lot more than any IT job where I currently live. Before this current job I worked in Non destructive testing at a lab, doing mostly gamma radiography and ultrasonic testing, honestly glad I gave that job up as the stress of it tends to cause burn out pretty quickly, also nice to be away from radioactive sources too.

Have I ever worked in IT . .yes as a repair guy and the one people yell and scream at when they forgot to plug their PC in causing ID10T/PEBKAC issues.

So fucking glad I dont have to deal with IT support shit anymore .. I now have very little tolerance for stupid because of that job.

Reply 18 of 67, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just came to this website looking for drivers.
Got back into old computers looking to play old games. ( Dos/Win3x/95/98/XP )

So Like LGR I Started building my own Ultimate Retro computers but I don’t create video content. I just do it for old game play.

Philscomputerlab and LGR and Other YouTubers taught me allot about Audio and Configurations.

It’s just a Hobby I do with my free time.

But Now they have allot of Arcade consoles available for Cheap loaded with thousands of games so I see the Retro computer build
Community not being so popular in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_1134.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1134.jpeg
    File size
    492.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2024-04-21, 15:56. Edited 1 time in total.