VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not by moderators here though - so I wouldn't go posting links directly to it - but by the current owners of the intellectual property!

Embarcadero are the owners of the development tools/IDEs which the former Borland company sold. Their site at https://delphi.embarcadero.com/, which is currently celebrating 29 years of Delphi, has a very long home page talking about Delphi's history.

Early on, the page has a "Wayback Machine" title which grabbed my attention but turned out to not be about the archive.org service.

However, further down the page it says:

Delphi Books And Software Archive Circa 1995
Feeling nostalgic or just curious about all the original manuals from dawn of Delphi and other Borland products?

with a Take a look button. I imagined that they'd perhaps provided some .pdfs of old manuals on their site, but the button actually links to archive.org, with lots of their old manuals and software available for download!

I thought it was a great step that archive.org was able to host games in Windows 3 environments on its site - making "abandonware" very accessible to people - seemingly without Microsoft giving it a takedown notice, but I think having a company actually link to this stuff is a much bigger thing, a bit closer to an explict approval.

Their search query string covers 1978 through 2004 inclusive, so I suppose one could infer that someone there - who might just be an unpaid marketing intern who has never spoken to the legal department for all we know - has decided that their threshold for "abandonware" is 20 years.

I do note that they didn't explicitly say "feel free to download any of the stuff we linked to", maybe they meant to look but not touch 😁

Of course, unless they re-license any of that software, they could still enforce their original licenses and Copyright over any of that software. I'm not a lawyer but I assume this doesn't really change the legal state of the software. It just seems like a good hint that they're unlikely to enforce their licenses, and if they did, the fact that they linked to it themselves would seem like useful evidence in one's favour in court.

I imagine that this isn't going to make the staff of this site suddenly feel comfortable with us linking to Borland software on archive.org and I think that's fair since - as I said - I don't think this changes anything legally, at least not in a clear, unambiguous way. Perhaps on some site run by a lawyer they wouldn't mind it because they wouldn't mind being a test case in court or something 😁 I hope my post doesn't create any stress for the staff and I hope it's okay to link to Embarcadero's site and point to where they themselves linked to "abandonware".

Here's a link to the page on the (real) Wayback Machine, since I assume they'll change their home page at some point: https://web.archive.org/web/20240218090713/ht … mbarcadero.com/ It looks like the link was there in May 2022 though, and if you go back to Feb 2020 it had a different query - for just creator:"Borland International" (which wouldn't have worked so well).

Reply 1 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice!
And it should be noted that Borland had the Museum section on their website already in the 90s, with stuff like Turbo Pascal and Turbo C.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść no moja górę, lecz i w tym, ze ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 8, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2024-04-25, 02:09:

And it should be noted that Borland had the Museum section on their website already in the 90s, with stuff like Turbo Pascal and Turbo C.

Good point!

Apparently (according to a post I saw elsewhere) the museum has disappeared now, although the more recent free Delphi 1 and C++ Builder 1 downloads seem to still be available.

Reply 3 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In my college days they seemed a bit laissez faire about Turbo Pascal, letting anyone copy it to learn Pascal on, but if you wanted to publish anything you'd better have fully paid copy.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A few of my Turbo Pascal and Delphi books had shipped with free copies of Borland Pascal 7, Delphi 3 Pro and Delphi 7 Personal.
These were no demo versions, whatsoever. Delphi 1 was also included at one point, I vaguely remember.
So I guess that Borland was cool about old versions.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 8, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2024-04-25, 20:21:

A few of my Turbo Pascal and Delphi books had shipped with free copies of Borland Pascal 7, Delphi 3 Pro and Delphi 7 Personal.
These were no demo versions, whatsoever. Delphi 1 was also included at one point, I vaguely remember.
So I guess that Borland was cool about old versions.

yes, not just books but sometimes on magazine cover cds too, back when that was a thing (another nostalgic thing from the 90's and early 2000's)

as a result of various free versions just on cds given with books and magazines i have delphi 1,3,4,6,7 plus builder 4 & 6 and i think a couple of later ones, oh and jbuilder too!

Reply 6 of 8, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... oh and i was just thinking of all the libraries i have had for TP and Delphi, open source, free and commercial coming through on disks and online in the days when TP in particular was still popular (never quite like QB but it had its scene in the 90's online). The 'swag' collection in particular was well known at the time

Reply 7 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! That reminds me of an radio amateur on the local FM repeater, who was an avid Kylix/Linux fan.
He often discussed with others what he was doing right now. He also did some Delphi/Kylix porting, I vaguely remember.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 8, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yeah, Borland did give a lot of stuff away on magazine cover CDs! They also once came to our computer club meet in the early '90s with a wall of boxed copies of dBASE IV 1.1 which they gave away for free, I think because version 1.5 had come out (and I think 1.1 was pretty buggy!) or perhaps it was partly because 1.1 still had "Ashton-Tate" on it rather than "Borland". I guess they've always considered free stuff to be good marketing.

I find it a bit sad that these days their free editions of their software are licensed for use for only a year, whereas last I checked (which to be honest was probably around 2010) Microsoft's free Visual Studio versions didn't have any activation restrictions that I noticed, so I've not touched Embarcadero's modern free Delphi or C++Builder - I'd probably use them a little, then by the next time I go to use them, I'd need to download the new version and re-register it.