VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never did but probably I am going to, both for the fact it served me for years without stopping, as well for the fact it did almost everything a program needed for extraction.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 19, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never even used WinRAR.
Only the CLI RAR.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I purchased a license in November 2000 and still use the product every day.

ETA: I do however use unregistered RAR for DOS in DOSBox as my WinRAR license doesn't work with older editions of the software.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, purchased around 2000 as well - best money ever spent
I even got a 2nd license last year when they had a promotion

I asked back then about licensing the DOS version - I got a reply that it was not possible for them to generate key files for it

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 19, by progman.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-05-05, 20:33:

I never did but probably I am going to, both for the fact it served me for years without stopping, as well for the fact it did almost everything a program needed for extraction.

Yes, I bought it from fosi.ural.net, but the payment page never came up.....

Reply 7 of 19, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2024-05-05, 21:14:

Yes I purchased a license in November 2000 and still use the product every day.

ETA: I do however use unregistered RAR for DOS in DOSBox as my WinRAR license doesn't work with older editions of the software.

How do you unregister it before reinstalling it, or changing the computer, or if the OS gets damagaed somehow and you reinstallation?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 10 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-05-06, 05:57:

How do you unregister it before reinstalling it, or changing the computer, or if the OS gets damagaed somehow and you reinstallation?

haha, this is a concern whenever I sell or give away a computer. I don't want to become the Peter Quistgard of file compression.

You must delete and secure erase the .KEY file(s) they send you via email to remove registration information.

To register, copy the file (1) into your WinRAR directory and (2) to the same location as RAR.EXE/RAR32.EXE, if that differs from the WinRAR directory.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One problem with the RAR format is that Windows Search does not support indexing the archives. It can handle ZIP and several other compressed formats but not RAR.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 13 of 19, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, I actually did a few years ago. I even emailed them directly with this;

I'll level with you; I've been clicking away the registration nag on WinRAR for about 23 years of my life now. I thought 'Hey, I should pay for this, I'm an adult now with a job, why not?' But while I'm one person in one home, I have multiple computers, I have 7 computers I would use WinRAR on (Some very very rarely mind you, three or four would see regular usage) and I'm not interested in buying the license 7 times over for a single user in one location. I understand multiple licenses in an office workplace and such, but I'm just one nerd who has different computers for different needs.

Do I really need to buy more than one license to use WinRAR on more than one computer in my own home?

They replied explaining that one license per personal home is fine too and gave me a 30% discount code. So yeah, I bought WinRAR.

Reply 14 of 19, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A retro streamer I watch on Twitch by the name of DoctorCDCS actually bought WinRAR but had it physically shipped.

I don't know what kind of disc is light blue on the data track side; I guess he was shipped a CD-R rather than a stamped disc?

I've always just used the 7-zip format and relied on the fact because of some weird deal between the two devs, 7zip can read and unarchive RAR files and WinRAR can read and unarchve 7z files. Never really bought WinRAR or actually used the format to archive anything myself. 7Z's LZMA2 compression method seems to work good enough for my use cases.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 15 of 19, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote on 2024-05-16, 07:09:

because of some weird deal between the two devs, 7zip can read and unarchive RAR files and WinRAR can read and unarchve 7z files

I don't think there was a deal; rather, the UnRAR library is free to use (and even open source) and can be incorporated in other projects (for example, FreeCommander also has built-in RAR reading capability), and since 7-Zip is completely free and also open source, its format can be also supported by any other programme.

The GUI version of 7-Zip is overwhelmingly similar to the WinRAR interface, so when I switched to 7-Zip there was very little effort to adjust. In fact, I cannot think of any feature from WinRAR that is not present in 7-Zip in some form, except maybe the option to create more fancy GUI installers. And 7-Zip has higher compression rates than RAR anyway.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 16 of 19, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last year's promo/ad/sale for €9.99 that started from a 9gag user and continued on twitter and reddit resulted in something like 4-5K sales in a couple of days if I remember correctly. I got it too. So it's not as rare as the old meme made it appear.

https://twitter.com/WinRAR_RARLAB/status/1701954161602949293

Reply 19 of 19, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote on 2024-05-16, 07:09:

I don't know what kind of disc is light blue on the data track side; I guess he was shipped a CD-R rather than a stamped disc?

It has to be a CD-R, they print your personalized license key file on it. Also always the most recent 'stable' version of WinRAR, which at time of writing is 7.01.