l33t

https://www.gamingbible.com/news/platform/xbo … 437356-20240507

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As someone who has just recently gotten into Xbox 360 gaming, this sucks. Worst of all, it may also drive up the prices of physical games, which are dirt cheap at this time.

Not sure how/if this will affect applying title updates (patches) to physical games

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 7, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-05-08, 06:33:

As someone who has just recently gotten into Xbox 360 gaming, this sucks. Worst of all, it may also drive up the prices of physical games, which are dirt cheap at this time.

This is inevitable for every console. The best time to build your collection is after the next generation comes out and the retail stores dump their old stock cheap, and we're well past that for the X360 (e.g. 2017-18).

Credit to MS, they've been pretty consistent about putting various X360 games on sale (for a couple of bucks) over the past 5-6 years. But there's always the risk of your downloaded copy (or the console itself) getting wrecked and not being able to redownload them...

Reply 4 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmarsh wrote on 2024-05-08, 06:54:
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-05-08, 06:33:

This is inevitable for every console. The best time to build your collection is after the next generation comes out and the retail stores dump their old stock cheap, and we're well past that for the X360 (e.g. 2017-18).

Credit to MS, they've been pretty consistent about putting various X360 games on sale (for a couple of bucks) over the past 5-6 years. But there's always the risk of your downloaded copy (or the console itself) getting wrecked and not being able to redownload them...

Good news is, it is not that difficult (and almost kind of mandatory) to hack your XBOX 360 to load your games onto it in any other manner in the future now that XBOX 360 Live will no longer be a thing.. There's a reason why every OG XBOX is softmodded after all.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 7, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was announced the end of last year. I've never bought anything digital for Xbox other than the Fallout New Vegas DLCs. Everything else is either physical or it was a free giveaway. I don't mind the store closing, adding payment options already doesn't work, you have to buy stuff on PC and download it on the console. As long as you can access the games you have and the achievements sync it's not too bad.

There are a few games I prefer to play on consoles over PC. Like R*, EA and Ubisoft games that require access/linking to their online content delivery/DRM platforms (Dead Space, Mass Effect 3, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 3, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, GTA 4-5, Max Payne 3, LA Noire).

I also like that I don't have to worry about games updating against my will.

I'm also thinking whether I should pick up an X360 E as a backup in case my S dies... or should I just get a One S. It's appealing because of the backwards compatibility, but at the same time a good chunk of my collection is not compatible (Colin McRae Rally: DIRT, Race Driver: GRID, Forza 2-4 Horizon, GTA 4-5, LA Noire, PGR4, Flatout: Ultimate Carnage).

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 6 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have some games that I bought digitally, which I now need to source physically as well I guess.. I can't rely on the XBOX storage to not fail indefinitely. I will get mad if I lose my Arcade games one day though. Not being able to play Geometry Wars would make me real mad..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 7, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sounds like they announced it in good time anyway, i guess there will be ways to back up downloads. to be honest, much as some of the games are good whenever i see a newer console being used it seems to require updates constantly. that put me off ever buying one. i suppose at some future point the 360/ps3 era will be emulated in totality and enable to running of ancient backups even if the system itself has failed,