VOGONS

Hi Everyone from Italy

Topic actions

First post, by Retroinside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi members, i am Matt, a very nostalgic and collectionist of Retro Hardware and Retro Notebooks from Italy!I am 29 Y.O and i crew up with Computers.
My Uncle was a IT Technician and he had a Computer Shop, so i was many time there immerse in that fantastic world.
My First PC that i cannot never forgot was:

-Intel Celeron 333 MHz Mendocino in a Slocket Converter
-QDI Legend V Slot 1 M/B
-32MB SDRAM PC100
-Cirrus Logic 5465 AGP 4MB
-Crystal WDM ISA Sound
-Fujitsu 4,3 GB PATA
-LG CD Unit 32X
-Windows 98 S.E

With this Build, i started my movement with Formatting, Ugrade, Overclock, etc all supported by the accurate reading of that era magazines.
It's many time that i frequent this incredible site, and in many occasions i found solutions to solve particular issues.
I am not so social, but lately i feel the needing to share something and to be apart of a community and so i am here.
Please pardon for my for sure not briliant english

I am glad to be a part of this forum, and i hope to be helpful and share some interessing thing with you all.

Reply 1 of 15, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, 'retroinside' is a good forum name 😀 welcome

that celeron machine is like so many late 90's machines, i can imagine all kind of mixed dos and early 9x games being played, some really stretching the capabilities to the limit

its amazing how we managed with such small hdd back then, 4gb! installing and uninstalling, managing space was a real necessity then

magazines were good then, often containing genuinely useful information as well as being entertaining

Reply 2 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome to Vogons! I hope you have a lot of fun and interesting discussions here.

Reply 3 of 15, by luke7110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ciao Matt ? Where are you from in Italy? I also had a Celeron 333, I remember I overclocked it to 500MHz ... is it possible ? I'm not 100% sure 😅

Reply 5 of 15, by Retroinside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi you all guys you are so Kind!Yes Gerry it was an unrepeatable times, we make all possible for have some fun, like install and unistall every day to have some space eheheheh
Ciao Luke7110 i came from Sicily!Yes it's not impossible, it had a 66 MHz FSB with a multiplier of 5 so if your CPU was lucky it may have been able to hold up 100 MHz FSB (100X5=500MHz).What a time!50% increase

Reply 6 of 15, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome to Vogons!

You must have at least one Olivetti machine right? 😉

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 7 of 15, by luke7110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Retroinside wrote on 2024-05-21, 14:32:

Hi you all guys you are so Kind!Yes Gerry it was an unrepeatable times, we make all possible for have some fun, like install and unistall every day to have some space eheheheh
Ciao Luke7110 i came from Sicily!Yes it's not impossible, it had a 66 MHz FSB with a multiplier of 5 so if your CPU was lucky it may have been able to hold up 100 MHz FSB (100X5=500MHz).What a time!50% increase

I had to put some tape on a few pins of the cpu in order to unlock the fsb or maybe increase the voltage... I don't remember ! It was a long time ago !!
I'm from Turin by the way 😉

Reply 8 of 15, by Retroinside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi PD2JK of course eheheh i have an Olivetti Echos and i am so jelous about it!I love to play some DOS games with it, display is an Active Matrix so no ghosting and very much definited for the era!Play with it with Commander Keen and Doom is a pleasure every time..It's very fragile, i have to say it (plastic will broke only watching eheh) but so cute.

luke7110 yes what remember!!Pins to tape to force 100 MHz FSB 🤣. Ah ok then you also from Italy! Nice to know that people around the world stay here

Reply 9 of 15, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello and welcome!

I had a Slot 1 AT computer during the late 90s, originally it came with a Mendocino Celeron CPU which I later upgraded it to a PIII-750. 😁

The one in my signature is primarily Slot 1 too, but with tweaks for flexibility reasons.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 10 of 15, by luke7110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Retroinside wrote on 2024-05-21, 16:03:

luke7110 yes what remember!!Pins to tape to force 100 MHz FSB 🤣. Ah ok then you also from Italy! Nice to know that people around the world stay here

I should still have it somewhere. Must find it and try it on my P2B 😁

Reply 11 of 15, by Retroinside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

P2B is a very good MB!I have one boxed brand new that i want to preserve for the rest of my life eheheh

Reply 12 of 15, by luke7110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did a full recap on mine, I had problems to boot it, i don't know in the end if it was about bad contacts between pins and socket (slot 1) or bad caps, I did it anyway and did a good clean of every slot as well (slot 1, ram and cards) and it just worked 😁

Reply 13 of 15, by biohazardx9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where are you based in Italy?
Although I am in the UK. I work for a well known Italian company based in Milan as an IT engineer. Although I am stationed at one of their UK plants.

So I deal with them alot and we have good times. I'd say your English pretty good definitely understable.

Enjoy it, I was off and on here but that's life. Members here are incredible always helping. Alot of hardware would be dead and lost. It was here I found the iso disc for my turtle beach santa cruz. Massive thanks to vogons for that.

Anyway..

Buona giornata! (have a good day!)

Reply 14 of 15, by Retroinside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi biohazardx9 many thanks! I came from Sicily (Catania).
Oh wow that's so cool, and did you work in smartworking in your place or are you sometimes located here in Italy? Yes the community here is something special! When some help is needed Vogons is a "source of wisdom" eheh

Thanks again and have a good day you too

Reply 15 of 15, by biohazardx9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Permanently based in the UK, supporting the UK arm.