VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by winuser3162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

is it possible to overclock something like a sound card, network card, power supply or any other part that isnt typially overclocked? id think overclocking a power supply would lead to blown caps or a fire.

1:intel Core 2 Extreme QX 6700, 2X GeForce 8800GTX SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, XFX 780i SLI, 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2, Custom Waterloop
2:intel Pentium MMX , ATI Rage 3D, SoundBlaster16, Diamond Monstor 3D, 60MB Ram, Asus P/1-P55T2P4, Win NT 4.0/Windows 95 pLuS!

Reply 1 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Overclocking on older systems (e.g. 286) could involve changing the frequency used across various components (including ISA BUS), where they all derive their frequency from the one crystal.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Overclocking ISA bus affects all cards, and yes - disk controllers and NICs can get faster this way.

Also, does using an MFM HDD with RLL controller count as overclocking?

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm going from distant memory here, but AFAICR, on the sound card front :

- it was apparently possible to overclock the DSP on at least some MWAVE variant based sound cards
- Some SB Pro compatible cards apparently allow one to set an effective sampling rate of more than 22KHz in stereo mode (specific software is required). YMF724 based cards may be capable of this
- Either the GUS Max or Interwave based cards (or both) could be set to more than 48KHz (64KHz possibly). I don't recall whether the low pass filter actually negated the potential usefulness of that

Anyone who remembers more/better, please correct me or corroborate, as needed.

Last edited by darry on 2024-05-30, 13:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 9, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I accidentally overclocked a YM2203 to 7MHz one time. The sound played an octave too high. I over-volted a fan once or twice. And to really stretch the concept, I 'overclocked' a furnace by replacing the drive pulley on the blower with one of smaller diameter so it would run at a higher RPM...

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 6 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another example of unusual overclocking would be a Hercules clone graphics card.
BUT!
The goal wasn't to make it faster.
The goal was to make it compatible with SVGA monitors.

Normally, such cards use 16 MHz pixel clock, which produces 18 kHz HSYNC and 50 Hz VSYNC.
SVGA monitors need 30+ kHz HSYNC.
The solution is obvious: replace the 16 MHz crystal with something faster.
Sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't - I guess it depends of the memory speed.
Also, it's necessary to add a very simple DAC between the card and monitor, to convert 2-bit TTL to analog 0.7 V.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 7 of 9, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Sega Mega Drive is overclocked. Getting a sweet 10 MHz outta that baby!
Way back in the day, I overclocked my Palm Pilot - think it was a III or a IIIx. Got a sweet 25 MHz outta that baby!

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 9 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EduBat wrote on 2024-06-04, 20:58:

Just a funny idea, please don't take me seriously: how about under-clocking the RTC and/or the PIT to get a boost on all the benchmarks that depend on them to measure time?

I think sombody actually did that... not sure... some disk controller with BIOS slowing down the clock while disk operations?
Anyway, there was plenty of tricks to cheat common benchmarks.