VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anchor: "Hmm, I imagine there will probably be gawkers going out despite the cold weather, how is the traffic?"
Reporter: "Well, it's flowing smoothly on the road about 40 feet away."
Anchor: "Right, well now let us remind you where this is -- the Brookdale apartments at 3907 65th Avenue in Brooklyn Park, just next to the Brooklyn Mall."

*and*

Anchor: "Look at the flames! You can see they are burning a lot!"
Reporter: "Yes and the smoke is billowing."
Anchor: "So, reporter in the helicopter (as the picture switches to that camera), what do you see?"
Okay people, this is NOT a radio broadcast. There is a camera on the ground and a camera in the air. WE CAN SEE THESE THINGS. Dumbasses. God, are people actually dumb enough to need to be told this stuff instead of just seeing it? Is this another one of these stupid Americans with Disabilities Act things? *sigh*

Either way, you don't need to interrupt programming about a fucking fire at an apartment complex. Honestly.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 1 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there's something about being "on-camera" that compels people to narrate what they see. This is why so many home videos have that "running dialog" by the camera operator. What is truly bizarre is how they feel the need to torture the people in their weather department by placing them in really bad (sometimes dangerous) weather to report on that weather.

Just watch when a hurricane is about to hit the coast. They always stick some poor soul out there so they can be pelted by heavy rains and 60MPH Winds. It's a wonder that I haven't seen one of these people get maimed or killed.

Reply 2 of 3, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I can't imagine the weather people hate it THAT much, and they actually DO have safety measures in place. In any case, if they hated it that much they probably could refuse to do it. While meterologists aren't in high demand it certainly wouldn't be that difficult, I would think, to find another job.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Well, I can't imagine the weather people hate it THAT much,

Well, I'm certain that for the first few minutes, it's quite fascinating. After that survival instincts start kicking in and brain says "Get of here!", but they still have to do their reports.

...and they actually DO have safety measures in place.

*heh* I'm sure they do. But nature is hardly controllable. All you need is a "stop" sign flying into their face to make that evident.

In any case, if they hated it that much they probably could refuse to do it. While meterologists aren't in high demand it certainly wouldn't be that difficult, I would think, to find another job.

I'm certain that if one doesn't want to do it, there's another they have that would. Like I said, it's fascinating at first. It's just crazy to hang around there all day for updates.