First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, FMV on an 8088:

http://www.oldskool.org/pc/8088_Corruption

Looks like he tried it on DOSBox too.

Edit: It just got slashdotted, try this coral cache link instead: http://www.oldskool.org.nyud.net:8090/pc/8088_Corruption

Reply 6 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was able to download it at last. Freaking AWESOME! 😎

PS - It also works under native NTVDM but it's better under DOSBox.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 8, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is more interesting precisely because there does not seem to be any special tricks or hacks to the CGA involved, other than writing to the hardware directly. All it is doing is using the 40-column text mode,chaging the foreground and background colors as needed and using any of the available 128 ASCII characters in the CGA's ROM. It is not fiddling with the character cells height or width or the mode characteristics.

As for the sound, Trixter says that a Sound Blaster 2.0 or better is needed because the program utilizes auto-init DMA. However, unless the program has a routine that checks for a Sound Blaster 2.0 (by looking for a DSP of 2.01 or higher), then I could see no reason why a Sound Blaster 1.0/1.5 with a V2.00 DSP wouldn't work. The main feature upgrade of that DSP was auto-init DMA support. However, if it is using the High Speed transfer mode (necessary for a sampling rate beyond 23kHz in pre-16 SBs), it will not work even with a V2.00 DSP.

Is it possible for this program to work without too much rebuffering on an ST-412 (10MB) or ST-225 (20 MB) MFM Hard Drive? These are the hard drives originally installed in the IBM PC/XT, although it may be difficult with the 10MB drive, as the program would take up virtually all the free hard drive space. I'm not sure whether I should even mention the Xebec controller with its high interleave ratio.

Finally, it would perhaps be appropriate if the initial screen, which mentions the 5150, should not be present or should be modified when run in a system that is not a 5150.