VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So you have your new shiny new brand USB printer and you have just found out that you are unable to print from your old reliable favourite ms-dos proggy because it was only meant for working with Parallel (LPTx) and Serial (COMx) ports. So what can you do? Discard your new printer to garbage? NO. There is a more simple trick provided your printer has some sort of backwards compatibility emulation built-in. (I am saying this because I have tested this trick with a Brother HL-2030 -which is PCI5 only- and it didn't work).

First, you must enable "share printers and folders" in network properties.
Then, assign a preferably short name for your network.
Go to printers and right-click on the desired printer -> Share.
Use a preferably short name (nick) for the shared printer.
Open a dos window or use execute. Type in...

net use lpt1: \\mynet\epson /yes
(if you are using Win 9.x) or
net use lpt1: \\mynet\epson /persistent:yes
(if you are using Win XP (could work for NT & 2000 too, don't know)

Now, everytime you send something to LPT1 it will get redirected to your USB printer. Neat, isn't it?

Type in just net use to see the current assignments.

To remove all assignments, type in net use * /delete.

That's all.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you mean the capture port option? Never tried it.

BTW: How the hell do you select MORE THAN ONE PORT in the printer port properties sheet under WinXP?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 3 of 8, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I mean Enable printer pooling option. If this is enabled it is possible to select more ports.

Attachments

• printer.png
    Filename
    printer.png
    File size
    10.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 4 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahhh. Now I get it. Thanks, mate !

Spanish instructions weren't that clear...

A small update...

I haven't got the time to test it yet (I've got no usb printer and I must tell some friend of mine to do it for me), but are you really sure printer polling is por INPUT? I think it's targetted more towards OUTPUT.

The purpose of my initial post was to print using an USB printer from some old ms-dos program (which only has LPT and COM port support).

I have been studying b/w laser printing for some months now. I have come to the conclusion that windows printing support IS VERY VERY LACKING AND BAD. Even ms-dos printing is better. Shame on printer driver makers. They suck. I am probably going to try OS/2 Warp and some Linux on a virtual machine to compare drivers. I am pretty sure Linux has way better printer drivers (I already know www.linuxprinting.org) and probably even OS/2.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 5 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, my friend tested it on his Brother HL-2030 and it didn't work. It didn't print at all.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 7 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Printing in Windows is awful, mostly because printer companies somehow got the idea that they needed to make gigantic bloated drivers that waste resources giving you some pretty talking display whenever you print something. I wish they'd just try to stick to something simple that fits Microsoft's basic specs for printer drivers.

Reply 8 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have been trying both ms-dos and linux on my HP Laserjet 1200. They both print a lot better than windows. Shame on it!.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)