VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

(original subject: BUG: Can't get LaunchPad v1.0.0.7 working in XP - see third post for explanation of why this thread is here)

Okay, my VDMSound version was getting dusty, so I installed update 1 today, followed by LaunchPad 1.0.0.7. Unfortunately, when I try to run FlashBack with LaunchPad, a popup appears that says something like:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
c:\cache\BSHADW~1\~VLP2BBd.PIF
Invalid program file name, please check your pif file. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
[Close]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
- HunterZ

Last edited by HunterZ on 2006-02-01, 22:54. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game is in a directory with a LongFileName. Move it to a directory with 8.3 directory naming structure. eg. C:\GAMES\BSHADOW\

This is a known and addressed issue.

Closing thread: RESOLVED/DUPE

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was bored and decided to look for my first post. I thought it would be funny to move it to Milliways and let people heckle me. Notice:
- It's almost exactly 3 years old
- I was using long filenames, which I now regularly am the first to tell people not to do
- It was a known issue
- Snover locked the thread

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's nice is that nowadays:

1. No more VDMSOUND/NTVDM nonsense. Just use DosBox!
2. Still the LFN problem.........
3. People still post before searching which is why we need to improve the FAQ's. People are always going to post before searching (mostly).

Finally, What a lame first post. 😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

3. People still post before searching which is why we need to improve the FAQ's. People are always going to post before searching (mostly).

I think its because many forums have sub-par search methods and new users assume the same thing with Vogons. I mean, just try the search at 3D Realms if you want an example.

They probably just think "Whats the point, I'll never find anything" and post without trying. Too bad, considering the search function here actually works.

Reply 5 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a good point, avatar. I've lost count of how many times I've been frustrated with the lame search capabilities of many forums. VOGONS has a pretty good search implementation that I don't get frustrated with too often (not that I use it much - I usually just keep up with the new posts).

Reply 6 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

That's a good point, avatar. I've lost count of how many times I've been frustrated with the lame search capabilities of many forums. VOGONS has a pretty good search implementation that I don't get frustrated with too often (not that I use it much - I usually just keep up with the new posts).

We have to be fair though. I always keep this in mind when replying to newbies on forums because they didn't come here to be yelled at 😒 Some forums literally open fire on users that don't search and I think its just silly semantics.

Reply 7 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, I've seen people get frustrated and overreact, but I can understand it in cases where there are sticky posts and a guides section that cover the questions being asked.