List the PC games that you have beaten

Topic actions

Reply 600 of 768, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

A little note though - Unreal upholds a noticeably low framerate cap for multiplayer.

When you say a framerate cap, is it like what happens when you do "NETSPEED 500" in the console on versions 224 and above? That causes Unreal to run around 15 FPS.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 601 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just finished Inca, by Coktel Vision (floppy version). Very strange game, but for 1992, amazing graphics and music. The soundtrack (FM-only) is probably the best FM music I've ever heard. The graphics are not only amazing for 1992, but it runs smoothly with very low system requirements. My Pentium time machine was slowed down to 386/25 speeds and the game ran beautifully. The game is a mix of point-and-click adventure and arcade sequences. The themes in the game are bizarre and bordering on drug-induced. The puzzles are extremely difficult (impossible for me without the cluebook) while one particular arcade sequence was nearly impossible and took close to 20 tries before I cleared it (the 2nd trench run). The rest was fairly easy. Not my first choice for gaming (I generally do not like adventure games and don't like arcade style games much more), but it holds a special place in my heart because I bought this game in 1993 and still have the original floppies. I never finished it back in the day, but now I can finally say that I have. 😊

edit: this game also has an unusual save game system where after you clear certain sequences you get a unique save code. Other gamer's save codes won't work for you, yours are unique to you. So if you find walkthroughs with save codes listed, don't bother trying -- they won't work for you. 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 602 of 768, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finished all of the islands on Tropico 3, the Classic Campaign and the Absolute Power expansion. Although the game doesn't have much depth to it, it never seemed to get boring for some reason.

tropico3cc.jpg
Filename
tropico3cc.jpg
File size
121.07 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
tropico3ap.jpg
Filename
tropico3ap.jpg
File size
120.56 KiB
Views
File license

Next up I'm thinking of playing Wizardry Gold on my Win95 machine...

Reply 603 of 768, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While I can't remember every game I've beaten in my many years of PC gaming, I have recently beat Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders. I got the game through Steam, but I replaced the dosbox files and game executable with Chocolate Heretic files. It took me roughly 9 hours to complete.

Reply 604 of 768, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Took me slightly over 20 years, but I finally finished Doom!

At first I tried version 1.2, but due to weird kb/mouse behavior quickly updated to 1.9 and kicked the demons butt all over 3 original campaigns in just about 2 weeks (on medium difficulty). I'm not very much into shooters prior to Half-Life and newer than 2010, so I had mixed feelings about it. That is, until I decided to upgrade it to The Ultimate Doom. That's where the real fun began!

The initial shock was so great 😲, it prompted me to peruse the internet on the subject of difficulty of the 4th campaign. After all, I never imagined to be able to deal with bloody Barons with anything less than a rocket launcher, and certainly not with my bare knuckles. If only I knew how much my "demonvision" will change by the last level! Now I'm considering a rerun of the whole game on a higher/max difficulty - after all, I realized that it's possible to jump by running only near the end. And I might just stumble upon the hidden level!

Oh, novert.com is a must have!

Reply 605 of 768, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^^^ Make sure to play DOOM II before you burn yourself out 😜

Mmm super shotguns

Go to hell arch viles. I hate arch viles! But must play more DOOM II!

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 606 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finished the first episode of Doom, but there's something about the episodic nature of early FPS that I never could get into. I'm the type of person that once I finish something, it's on to something DIFFERENT. Finishing an episode feels too close to finishing a game, so for example, I've finished the first episodes of Quake, Duke3D and Doom, but never felt a desire to continue playing the other episodes.

Reply 608 of 768, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last night I finished Warcraft: Orcs and Humans with human campaign. It was not nearly as excited as the one for the "filthy orcses ©", both music- and mission-wise. I'm not very good with strategies, but it felt quite unbalanced - especially 11th mission - you just have to spam some water elementals, and then - voila - rags to gods.

Still, one of my all-time faves. The fact that it's the ONLY game I ever had on 5.25 floppies (borrowed from a schoolmate in the second half of the 90's) - and, come to think of it, most likely the ONLY 5.25's I've ever handled to this day (!!!) could be a factor too. Clearly remember "nice and big and slim ©" floppy disks with protection words written all over them. Now that's some pure nostalgia for you.. 😎 Pretty sure I beat it then as well, though probably with cheats.

For this walkthrough I used the CD version (the one with FM music, not CDA), sounded great on my temporary makeshift DOS machine with ESS1869.

Reply 609 of 768, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally got around to playing Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil via Doom 3 BFG edition. Wasn't that great but the shooting was solid. Took roughly 3hrs and ran great at 120fps @ 2560x1440.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 610 of 768, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This week I finished both Thief 4 (Thief) on PS4 and White Knight Chronicles (on PS3). Not PC games really, except for the first one but hey, I am proud.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 611 of 768, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jotjhe.jpg

Finished Jill of the Jungle trilogy!

Impressions:
Episode 1 - Exciting (cool soundtrack)
Episode 2 - A chore (those demons..)
Episode 3 - Short (but lots of thorns)

Good thing I had a gamepad for this. It's nearly impossible to make precise jumps with a keyboard.

Thanks a lot to NewRisingSun for the patch (Re: Jill of the Jungle Sound Effects), had problems getting consistent sound with SB16 on 220/7/1 without it.

One more classic under the belt!

Reply 612 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My game playing time has been drastically cut back the past few months, so it's taken 78 days to beat Crusader: No Regret. Still, it was a great game! Some quick photo screen shots of the endgame sequence:

Regret1.jpg
Filename
Regret1.jpg
File size
536.25 KiB
Views
File license
Regret2.jpg
Filename
Regret2.jpg
File size
455.9 KiB
Views
File license
Regret3.jpg
Filename
Regret3.jpg
File size
371.74 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 613 of 768, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just Cause 3

Took about 13 hrs.

Bought this when it first came out but never got around to playing it.
Mindless game but it's fun blowing things up. I used a trainer to unlock the gears since I didn't like playing the mini games.

Reply 614 of 768, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^
Have you played through JC2? I liked it a lot, but mostly for the decent arcade chopper sim circa Desert/Jungle/Nuclear Strike reboot.
I can't make up my mind about the 3rd installment from some vids I watched. Just too many soulless crap nowadays. I would have already bought it, but I absolutely hate having trash in my Steam account. Probably need to make an extra one and use it as a quality filter.

Reply 616 of 768, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, played through JC2 when it first came out but that was a long time ago so don't remember much. I do remember it being pretty repetitive tho but it blows stuff up good as well. I'm just not a fan of "pointless" mini games is all. I don't see why you wouldn't like JC3 if you liked JC2 except for the Denuvo part which there is a crack for.

Without the crack periodically you'll need to reactivate the game which is annoying.

Reply 617 of 768, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

3 months after finishing Doom on "Hurt Me Plenty" difficulty I went for "Ultraviolence". Wanted some challenge, so I opted in for no saves (only on lvl load) as well. First 3 episodes were manageable and after a few weeks of leisure gaming I arrived to the gates of the 4th "Thy Flesh Consumed". Now, that was something. E4L2 and E4L6 took a few days each and I don't believe I've had so much fervor to beat some game ever before. It is strange, really. I thought about giving up, but the more I tried - the more I enjoyed my ass being served and at some point it all turned around and I just started to obliterate 'em sobs.

2018-09-04 23.26.08.jpg

"Nightmare" with it's respawns doesn't appear much to me, but I'll likely try a variation of "Brutal Doom" at later time.

So, with "Ultraviolence" behind me I decided to play a few missions of Doom 2 (regular difficulty). It was about 5pm Wednesday. Puled an one-nighter as the result and at 10 o'clock in the morning Romero's head was thoroughly punished.

2018-09-06 08.55.37.jpg

I have to say that I'm not impressed by Doom 2. I clearly recalled first few levels, as I played it on my school PC in the 90's so it was a nice flashback. And I can't not appreciate the double-barreled shotgun. Few levels and a tune or two were also cool. At the same time, I don't feel that those huge open spaces works very well with the engine, it felt like some weird mix of Minecraft and Serious Sam to me, and I don't like neither of them. Half of the soundtrack muzak reminded me of being stuck in an elevator in Hawaii and the new monsters were annoyingly boring. Suffice to say, lost souls are still my arch-nemesis.

I understand the reasons why in '94 Doom 2 gameplay was revolutionary, but can't rate it higher than 5.5 out of 10 (Doom 1 gets at least 7.5).

Well, it's not like my cold review will hurt it's sales or something 🤣. And, by the countless praise I've heard of Doom 2 over the years, I'm sure that my opinion is in the minority. But for me it's Doom 1 all the way! 😎

P.S. off to read dmfaq66b.txt

Last edited by 0kool on 2018-09-07, 12:13. Edited 5 times in total.