Common searches

List the PC games that you have beaten

Topic actions

Reply 640 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally finished Realms of Arkania: Star Trail! A much more difficult game than the first one, I'm sure I could not have solved some of the puzzles without the Hint Book! Even with the hint book, there was one I needed to watch a YT video of to understand (opening the secret door in Ingramosch's house in Tjolmar, near the end). I've already exported my game to Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva for a future playthrough. 😀

I had a lot less time to play these past few months, so the 62 hours it took to beat the game happened over the course of 87 days. Yeah, that's a long time to play one game. 😵

Endgame screenshot:

startrail.JPG
Filename
startrail.JPG
File size
810.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 642 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
20190605051754_1.jpg
Filename
20190605051754_1.jpg
File size
433.34 KiB
Views
File license

Thoroughly enjoyed Wolfenstein: The New Order. Looks like the only other single-player FPS games in the series left for me are Wolfenstein (2009) and The New Colossus. 2009 isn't electronically available, so I'll either have to wait for it, or find it on ebay. And Colossus is too fricken expensive right now. I'm patient, it'll come down eventually.

Reply 643 of 768, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
20190605051754_1.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed Wolfenstein: The New Order. Looks like the only other single-player FPS games in the series left for me are Wolfenstein (2009) and The New Colossus. 2009 isn't electronically available, so I'll either have to wait for it, or find it on ebay. And Colossus is too fricken expensive right now. I'm patient, it'll come down eventually.

The 2009 game is my favourite Wolfenstein game of all time. It lacks the really good graphics/presentation/movie-ish-ness of the newer three games (New Order, Old Blood, New Colossus), and is a more conventional first person shooter, but I think it's much more enjoyable than the other games. Well, aside from the last level of the 2009 game, which, like Half-Life itself, when you get to the last level the enjoyment factor and immersion dropped like a ten ton weight off a cliff.

Regarding the new the games, I think Old Blood is my favourite, then New Order, then New Colossus. New Colossus' story, in my opinion, does a few things that are so staggeringly improbable that they ruin the story, and yes, that's taking into account the fact that we gamers will accept almost anything in a game's story. In a game where the Nazis won the war and are now THE world power, where they have killer robots, robot dogs, a base on the Moon, etc, the story still does a few things that kill off the believability factor.

More importantly, New Colossus is just not as enjoyable to play as the other two games, and it has a couple of bad difficulty spikes. Another flaw with the game is that although it optionally lets you use stealth in some parts of the game, the stealth mechanics aren't great so you usually fail and have to resort to gunplay, which (depending on your point of view) can be galling, as successfully using stealth not only avoids gunplay, but also can be rewarded by you having less enemies entering the are for you to shoot or avoid.

New Colossus' story also ends far too abruptly, if you ask me. Some people criticise the game for what they see as unnecessary preaching and it being soaked in politically correct views, but I (who detests the stupidity of the extremes of political correctness) don't see it at all. I think the times when the game shows the prejudice of both the Nazis and non-Nazis (during the real World War II, there were people all over the world who shared the prejudices that formed the foundations of the Nazi movement, and tragically that's true even today) are well done and add to the game's atmosphere.

Reply 644 of 768, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Going on the assumption that the games you have beaten must at least be worth playing...

That is not a wholly safe assumption in my case.

Gateworld: The Home Planet
Lego Island
Mega Man
Mega Man III: The Robots Are Revolting
Mega Man X
Myst
Operation Neptune
The Oregon Trail
Schiffbruch
The Secret of Monkey Island and The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
Solar Winds: The Escape
VeggieTales: The Mystery of Veggie Island
VeggieTales: Minnesota Cuke and the Coconut Apes
Update - Sept. 2019
Elasto Mania II

Last edited by STX on 2019-09-21, 15:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 645 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
20190605051754_1.jpg

The 2009 game is my favourite Wolfenstein game of all time. It lacks the really good graphics/presentation/movie-ish-ness of the newer three games (New Order, Old Blood, New Colossus), and is a more conventional first person shooter, but I think it's much more enjoyable than the other games. Well, aside from the last level of the 2009 game, which, like Half-Life itself, when you get to the last level the enjoyment factor and immersion dropped like a ten ton weight off a cliff.

Regarding the new the games, I think Old Blood is my favourite, then New Order, then New Colossus.

I'm going to have to buy Wolf 2009 on ebay. I have no issue with graphics, as RtCW is probably my favorite. But I think I liked The New Order better than The Old Blood. I loved the variety of going to the bottom of the ocean, to the moon and everything in between, whereas The Old Blood was pretty self-contained. They're all really good, nitpicks aside. 😀

Reply 646 of 768, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finished Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos today. It was an interesting game, mostly RPG but with many aspects of an adventure game. Overall I didn't like it much, some of the adventure game style puzzles were OK, but a few were so bizarre I never ever would have figured them out without a walkthrough, which I had to consult more that a few times to get through it, even though I truly hate using walkthroughs.

Most of the game I had little idea of what I was suppose to be doing, lots of weird items that had no use, lots of locked doors and chests that I never found keys for, while having several keys that never found locks, puzzles that needed solving that I didn't even know were puzzles, lots of situations that felt like puzzles but weren't, the game just felt like a big question mark the whole time.

A very pretty game though with great music and full speech throughout.

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
64.85 KiB
Views
File comment
End credits.
File license
02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
57.19 KiB
Views
File comment
Look how happy I am to have won!
File license

Reply 649 of 768, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ridiculous. It looks like Michael has spent some of that saxophone money on brown hair die, but you should have lots left over for a nice chop.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 651 of 768, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finished Commander Keen 2 today. Short game and not difficult except for the final level which is absolutely brutal. Several places you need good timing and luck to survive, I reckon I would have had 100+ attempts before I made it.

May as well continue on with Keen 3 now...

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
50.58 KiB
Views
File license
02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
31.63 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 652 of 768, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

... I don't think celebrating the 20th anniversary of this trainwreck by playing it was such a good idea. gg Legend. also props to CliffyB for indirectly making the only good map in this (Foundry) who doesn't even get an ending credit anyway

Attachments

• ump5done.jpg
    Filename
    ump5done.jpg
    File size
    194.06 KiB
    Views
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 653 of 768, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Keen 3 done.

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
74.26 KiB
Views
File license
02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
57.88 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 654 of 768, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rage 2

The shitty Bethesda launcher when it patched the game to Update 1 it corrupted it so whenever you went to visit characters for the main mission it would always crash. Performing a scan and repair on the game fixed it.
Freezes randomly when saving a game it appears not using the mouse while in the menus is the workaround.

Game is pretty forgettable. Graphics are good enough and the game runs well but the plot is bare thin and the tons of open world fetch quests are a bore. As always with ID Software games the shooting is very well done.

Don't spend alot of money on this one.

As for DRM when the game is bought straight from Bethesda it looks like it doesn't require the Bethesda launcher and the Denuvo DRM was removed soon after release of the game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 656 of 768, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We finall did it! BROFORCE has been conquered! I think it was RoboCop (me) that cast the final stone on Satans head, but my daughter swears it was her Indiana BROnes that took him out. I wasn't recording, so we will never know. Amazing fun though. Kinda sad it's all over...

Waiting on Ori & The Blind Forest 2, only I heard it's been put back again to January 2019.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 657 of 768, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
20190605051754_1.jpg

Try "The Old Blood" expansion for New Order. It's shorter but of the same or better quality regarding mapping and gameplay and should be much less $ than New Colossus. Beware though, it can get pretty brutal on Uber difficulty, especially at the very end!

The guys over at MachineGAMES are amazing, some of the last true PC FPS creators in the gameplay style of the iD originals (but obviously with the newer mechanics that actually make sense). I'm so glad they took over the reigns once the iD guys quit after the Zenimax takeover. They guys at Machine are either original Quake nuts or just nuts, which is essential for making a decent Wolfenstein game. They made a 5th episode (freeware) for Quake 1 on it's 20th anniversary, and apparently they made it with the original editing tools that Willits and Romero used. The new episode feels like it belongs in the original. That's worth a playthrough if you're bored. They go heavy on the Shamblers though, and kinda light on the ammo. I think I had to do the last one with the axe.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 658 of 768, by MasterfulDark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just beaten Quiver. That one dull 90s FPS. It's not worth it fellas, i think. The whole game is done in 2 pale colors mostly, even though they do have red, green, blue, the devs only used it for the trippy flying balls, bosses and walls. But those just show off the entire palette. All 3 episodes have the same boss, only unique thing is that in episode 3 you get an ambush sequence on level 8, level 7 has grass floor texture you see for the first time and level 9 has a colorful floor not seen before too. That's about it...
Seems like "add-on" aka 4th episode does not exist... Well, guess that's for good

Reply 659 of 768, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished Dark Forces. So yes, this game has some pretty long, sprawling and confusing levels. Probably why I never finished it when it was first released. But today, I shamelessly use online walkthroughs, which helps take the tedium out and let me focus on the story and the FUN. I finished every mission except one on EASY (one on MED). The story was gripping, the music (DreamBlaster X2 General MIDI) outstanding, the VGA graphics amazing, and the controls are way ahead of its contemporaries. You can completely customize controls, so I went with a typical WASD layout. It worked great. The only hesitation is with the lack of mouselook. I had look up and down mapped to R and V, and that worked pretty well. Auto-aim pretty much compensates for enemies that are above or below you. I wasn't crazy about having 3 lives per mission and no way to save in-mission. I worked around this by ESCing to the menu when I had to stop, and just leaving my DOS PC on until I could get back to it. Some stats: the game took me 32 days to finish, and a total of 14 hrs and 5 min. The final mission took the longest, at 2:18. I had to restart it once after dying on the final boss with my last life. But the next time, I was better prepared and ended up finishing the game with a life to spare. The cutscenes were brilliant and the entire time I felt like I was really in the Star Wars universe. I'm looking forward to Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, which I will play on my P3 Win ME PC with Voodoo2 SLI. 😀 A couple of endgame screenshots:

darkforces1.JPG
Filename
darkforces1.JPG
File size
944.9 KiB
Views
File license
darkforces2.JPG
Filename
darkforces2.JPG
File size
839.63 KiB
Views
File license