VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone know of an editor for the replays in the "Driver" game. The built-in version is quite capable, but not intuitive (IE:the rewind will always take you back to the start. No reverse/rewind.)

Reason I was asking is that I'm sure that Driver's capable of providing some awesome "movies", but editing them seems to turn people off. Be nice if there was a freeform editor that allow for a little more flexibility in cameras and angles as well.

I have one replay (still..I hope) where I was driving and wondering what something was that I saw flying in the air (it was at a really high altitude). After a few seconds I realized that it was one of the civilian cars in the game! Couldn't help but wonder what brought that about.

BTW, I know "flying car" syndrome is not uncommon for "Driver", but I'd never seen this height/duration before. I would guess that he was about a (virtual) mile in the air and didn't hit the ground for about 30-40 seconds (guestimate...I was being chased by psycho-cops at the time).

Reply 1 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah. I did that "replay" you described once. Flew sky-high. Not sure how I did it, I think I was in some hilly city or something, and was driving downhill, and hit the wall right at the corner of a building. I'll check if I still have my replay.

As far as ANY sort of Driver utilities, here's the only ones I could find:
http://www.geocities.com/driver1sme/
http://pages.infinit.net/accessk/

Maybe you could ask the authors of those two utilities if they knew if anyone had been working on it. If their email addresses no longer work, lemme know - as you know, I have a knack for tracking people down.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Yeah. I did that "replay" you described once. Flew sky-high.

Just happened to me today after I finally the finished the last mission of the game - "President's Run" (All it cost me was 4 hours of the most frustrating play in my life). I set the cops to "railroad" level and one smacked into me at high-speed up against a concrete column. I shot up so high that I think I left the map for a while (almost no backround...mostly oblivion).

Also shot the Cadillac to the top of a building, then fell on my nose (the car that is...) hovered for 5 seconds before it flopped on it's back. Apparently I actually caused another car to get stuck at the top of the same building as well...

Best "Blues Brothers' Chase Simulator" ever.

As far as ANY sort of Driver utilities, here's the only ones I could find:http://www.geocities.com/driver1sme/
http://pages.infinit.net/accessk/

Don't know how you managed to find that. Most searches I made came up with a near-infinite number Windows driver web pages. Even using exclusions I mostly came up with long-dead pages.
(I did manage to find MGON's DriverHQ, which was only "mostly dead").

The SME editor looks quite nice and easy to operate. Too bad it won't edit replays. Since Driver's been out for years now, I guess nobody's going to bother with it anymore. Can only hope that there's a PC Driver3 in the future. (And hope that the Playstation's Driver2 can be emulated properly).

Reply 3 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a Playstation Driver 2? Sweet, I'm there!
My system can just about emulate PS games at full speed with level 4 smoothing (level 6 causes jagged green edges) -- ePSXe with Pete's OpenGL driver, Pete's CDR ASPI/IOCTL Driver, and Eternal SPU (true sound emulation and better-than-true video emulation). 😄 It can be a little slow, especially playing videos (go figure, perhaps I should reduce my max framerate to 30 from 60 to see if that fixes it, since methinks those are 30fps dropframe movies), like I said, but now that I've got my PS controller converter (with DualShock support, mwahahaha) it's pretty much a replicate. Too bad it takes a 1.533GHz computer and a GF3Ti500 to do it (compared to the 33MHz original PS core).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

There was a Playstation Driver 2? Sweet, I'm there!

From what I understand it's only a minor technical step up from the original; but there was (of course) a whole new story and some gameplay enhancements. Was kind of disappointed when they didn't bother with a PC port. Looks like they're blowing us off for "Stuntman" as well. Not exactly a sequel, but it does open up gameplay elements like crashing (on purpose)wildly for credit .

My system can just about emulate PS games at full speed with level 4 smoothing (level 6 causes jagged green edges) -- ePSXe with Pete's OpenGL driver, Pete's CDR ...

If you ever get around to testing it, let us know the results in the emulation section.

Too bad it takes a 1.533GHz computer and a GF3Ti500 to do it (compared to the 33MHz original PS core).

Well consider all it's emulating along with all your smoothing and other niceities... Know what you mean though. I thought it was ridiculous that a 200MHz PC could barely emulate a 7MHz Amiga; but of course there was all that custom chip array and pre-emptive multi-tasking and stuff. I'm just glad they preserved the voice-synth chip so I can still hear it speak (with a really bad French accent) "...so many shattered memories amongst the rooms of Mortville Manor" (or something like that...Heh).

Reply 5 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

but it does open up gameplay elements like crashing (on purpose)wildly for credit .

Isn't that what Carmageddon is for? 😉

Seriously, though. Back to the topic. I'd be glad to help out in any way I can in making a better movie editor, though it would be a monumental task. (Starting off with really simple movies -- sit, go, stop, reverse, stop forward, turn, turn, stop, backwards-turn with timecodes for the time when the movement started and when the movement ended. (Of course, you'd have to use the keyboard...)) Also, it would seem to me that most of the engine would have to be implemented into the editor...hmm...

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Don't know how you managed to find that. Most searches I made came up with a near-infinite number Windows driver web pages. Even using exclusions I mostly came up with long-dead pages.

"Me am Search God!"
http://www.google.com/search?q=Driver+%22GT+I … tive%22+utility

(I did manage to find MGON's DriverHQ, which was only "mostly dead").

Did you go in the back door? Bling Bling!
http://www.driverhq.com/driver/

The SME editor looks quite nice and easy to operate. Too bad it won't edit replays. Since Driver's been out for years now, I guess nobody's going to bother with it anymore.

Yeah, well, try asking the authors of those utilities... if anyone knows, they will.

Stiletto

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

ePSXe with Pete's OpenGL driver, Pete's CDR ASPI/IOCTL Driver, and Eternal SPU

All PSX emulators still are based around High-Level Emulation for the sound and video, which isn't necessarily a Good Thing. Accuracy and compatibility would be greatly increased by low-level emulation of the PSX, but then kiss your "full speed" goodbye... so they use little compatibility hacks, and it works.

Anyhow, What I Can't Understand:
A few emulator authors credit PCSX as a "much better emulator" which I can't understand, because ePSXe runs SO MUCH FASTER on my PII 266. PCSX is like three times as slow. Same plugins.... *shakes head*

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Isn't that what Carmageddon is for?

IIRC, the point was winning the race while murdering lots of people "in style". Completely psychotic.

I'd be glad to help out in any way I can in making a better movie editor, though it would be a monumental task... Also, it would seem to me that most of the engine would have to be implemented into the editor...hmm...

Actually what I was thinking of would be more like an add-on that would enhance the basic Driver engine; using it for all the video/audio playback etc... tricking it into thinking you were using the built-in editor, while you're actually using a 3rd-party tool. That's the general "concept" I was thinking of...

Reply 10 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Hrmm. Didn't think adding "GT Interactive" would make that much a difference.

Did you go in the back door? Bling Bling!

Ewww! Gross! *tosses various loose, readily available items in Stiletto's general direction*

"Yeah, well, try asking the authors of those utilities... if anyone knows, they will.

Actually, I probably need to back off on these little "wild hair" ideas as I really need to be concentrating on real-world issues (IE:No job=No money=No Mortgage payment=On the street)

Needless to say, that would severly curtail any Internet activity on my part.