VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Stumbled across this article while following Stiletto's link about NV1 data at "Firing Squad":

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/games/gamingintheday2/
Just a little back-in-the-day story.

Funny thing about these stories is the subjective telling of the story. For example he refers to MechWarrior:Mercenaries as "not such a good follow-up", where some other guy doing a similiar story concluded that it was obviously the best of the MechWarrior 2's (The Firing Squad guy also implies that Activision lost the license because of it, and I'm certain that's not true).

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the contrary MW2:Mercs was the best of the series....and still is. I'd like a Win32 redo but it seems like that will never happen. 🙁

Supposedly a MW4: Mercs is gonna come out....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never played any other versions of MechWarrior except for the plain vanilla 2 and 3. As an (un)interesting sidenote, my version of MechWarrior 2 is actually a RIVA 128 "only" version (despite its working correctly with my GeForce256).

What differentiate[d,s] the Mercenaries version from the original?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I recall, the difference was that you were responsible for your own resource management. IOW, you didn't want to just blow up every Mech you saw. You wanted to disable them with as little damage as possible so you either use it yourself or break it down and sell it's parts for cash.

A little more thinking involved. There were probably other things as well, but I can't recall at the moment.

Reply 4 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your Riva ver works then mabye we could do a compare between our CD's and hopfully the difference is small enough to exchange files....if your ver works.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline