How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 34, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow I'm almost on the top 10!

[EDIT]Wow, you're ahead of vlad by quite a bit.

P.S. I'd have made this a second post to boost my count but Snover would probably close the thread in retaliation (j/k) 😉

Reply 3 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak My post count sucks

Just lose your job. That gives you a lot more time to post. Of course, then you have to concern yourself with things like where your next meal is coming from...

Reply 9 of 34, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😀
turn-ons: PC games that work on my system.
turn-offs: PC games that don't work on my system.
interests: getting small...(ref. Steve Martin)
hobbies: sufing VOGONS for the latest nonsensical post 😀

.........here's to putting some RAM into your DRIVE!

Reply 11 of 34, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Help! I have a major crisis on my hands! MYST III EXILE just took a dump!! The game used to play fine on my other system (Gateway,Celeron 1.2 Gig., XP-home, Intel chipset graphics, etc.) Now, after installing DirectX 9, XP-SP-1, and updating the Intel drivers the damn thing won't play for crap.

Anybody have a clue??

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 12 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dud716 ...after installing DirectX 9, XP-SP-1, and updating the Intel drivers the damn thing won't play for crap. Anybody have a clue??

I'm afraid you may have already answered your own question. DX9 seems to be suspect, and the others might be involved as well.

Tell me you made a restore point before installing these...

Reply 14 of 34, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thaaat's weird. Um, doesn't it use QuickTime VR? Maybe. In any case, check the Myst 3 forums for a similar issue, try searching Patches Scrolls for a patch, or try using a Win98 compatibility mode.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 15 of 34, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have already tried changing the compatibility mode,..but to no avail.

I am away from home for a bit, when I get a chance, I'll try a system restore to pre-DirectX 9. It's weird, Exile plays fine on my home system with XP SP-1 and DirectX 8.

QUESTION:
If I install DirectX 9, can I uninstall it just as well?

OR

Do I have to do a system restore to pre-DirectX 9?

Thanks, dud

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 16 of 34, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Supposedly there are utilities that will uninstall DX9 but it is so tightly bound to the core of Windows that I kinda doubt the competency of it. Therefore, I suggest doing a system restore.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 34, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dud716 QUESTION: If I install DirectX 9, can I uninstall it just as well?

Probably not. There have been tools created to "uninstall" DirectX before, but (last I had heard) DX9 wasn't supported yet. Every time DirectX has been "upgraded", it's been integrated more and more tightly with the OS.

Do I have to do a system restore to pre-DirectX 9?

Most likely, Yes.

Reply 19 of 34, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah...I thought so...You know...I am really beginning to hate MICROSOFT (et al.)...Greed is rapidly overtaking the industry. These a-holes know that there is no feesable way to keep up with all of the new stuff.....It has become a game of cat and mouse between software and hardware.

In my book, they are all a bunch of pricks!! Oh well, ' guess it's time to retire to my wooden shack in the woods.😀

...in that quiet earth"